• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces NEW Pedigree Labels and NEW Pedigrees
3 3

213 posts in this topic

Nobody likes Cookevilles more than me, but I won't be resubmitting my copies for the new label.  Also, I don't pay a premium for them.  With the wide variations in the markings (SN, NN, SMN, block letters or cursive, and pencil, pen, marker, maybe even crayon) and no master list available, it would seem to be very easy to fake a Cookeville.  Also, @adamstrange is correct...the quality also varies. I have Cookevilles that range from 9.2 to 0.5.

I think CGC's write-up about the collection is also incorrect.  My understanding is that two sisters (and probably other relatives) worked at the store where the comics were purchased, but they were not Leroy or Jimmie's sisters.

Is some of this a reaction to the other guys recognizing some of these as pedigrees?

35 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Bingo! You are playing right into their new marketing ploy Corey. Nothing wrong with doing that but they are counting on collector's OCD to do just what you say you will. Brilliant marketing move on their side.

And, if those made it, I would agree with the Detroit Trollys.

Guilty as charged :shy:

BUT...if I had a higher amount than I currently do as far as Pedigree copies are concerned, I wouldn't be resubmitting as it would just be too costly for me and would affect my buying power for a time.

56 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Are any of these actually new-to-market collections, or just new-to-CGC-marketing collections? (shrug)

Now, now, do you really need to ask as I believe everybody here including you already knows the answer to this question. hm

It's really all about transferring  :flipbait: from one party to the other party, namely from the collecting base here to the host company here.  lol

I want this! Love the black and white! I have quite a few peds that could use a new slab. Unfortunately,  I just sent two Twin Cities books for grading in June and they came back Blue Lables...missed the boat by a month. (shrug) I think I'll send a box of old slab Blue Label peds in soon! Might wait for the TATs to drop first though...

On another note, I hope my OCD can handle different lables in my Fury run. It does ok with various slab generations...I hope colors don't trigger it. :shy:

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

15 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
2 hours ago, sagii said:

I get the idea of Black Label: its used on high end retail clothing and alcohol.

Not bad out of the box thinking on their part. 

Only the best!

8 minutes ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

I want this! Love the black and white! I have quite a few peds that could use a new slab. Unfortunately,  I just sent two Twin Cities books for grading in June and they came back Blue Lables...missed the boat by a month. (shrug) I think I'll send a box of old slab Blue Label peds in soon! Might wait for the TATs to drop first though...

On another note, I hope my OCD can handle different lables in my Fury run. It does ok with various slab generations...I hope colors don't trigger it. :shy:

Why in the world would you even bother sending them in now as these are only the best, but not yet the best of the best.  doh!

With something like 60 odd pedigrees out there, I am sure that CGC will eventually get around to introducing a Premium Pedigree Diamond encrusted slab in the not too distant future to recognize the true original pedigrees such as the Edgar Church MH books, Tom Reilly SF books, Larson's, Allentown's, Pacific Coast.  This really special and Premium Pedigree list will probably be limited to less than 10 of the truly big name pedigrees that every collector would know, as opposed to so many of these so-called no-name pedigrees that we are starting to see right now.  hm

They just need to wait for everybody to send in and pay to have all of their current pedigrees reholdered into the new slabs before introducing their new and super improved Diamond encrusted Premium Pedigree label and slab a few years from now.  :taptaptap:  lol  

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I personally love NHs - the PQ I have seen and possess of these is extremely nice and the couple I have had graded are higher grade.  Small sample I know.  Lots of westerns in the NHs - didn't Payette discover this collection?

I guess the reholders will be going.  I have the NHs, Cookevilles, Eldons, and Harold Curtis examples in slabs but I doubt very I will resub to get a new label.  The two I would consider out of all these would NH and Cookeville if I were to reholder but I really can't see any of these newly recognized peds will increase value by a large extent if at all.  

CBCS had already started recognizing some of these which and I dislike saying anything good about them was a good move to do so from the onset.  

Just my 2c

A couple of NHs. By coincidence, I posted a couple of days ago that the NH collection was probably the best of the non-CGC recognized pedigrees.

My understanding is that it was too narrowly focused on Westerns to merit pedigree designation. But apparently they rethought that question. 

Texj_7_92_zpsjqyvr8bz.JPG

Texj_9_92.jpg

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I think the black label is confusing.

Some of the new pedigrees are iffy to my eyes.  The MAD pedigree appears to be Gaines File Copies that are now being sold by one of the original family members. Eldon's and Cookeville's vary in quality.  Some Murphy books I believe previously sold through Sothebys back in the 90s and a 4.5 HOM 33 is not really that impressive...

New Hampshire is a good add.

I'd like to see the mix of grades for the Cookevilles. My impression is that they are primarily mid-grade. I probably have 10 or 20 of them and I doubt any are higher than 8.0. I had assumed that the grades kept the collection from qualifying as a pedigree.

For what it's worth, the Cookeville books haven't been particularly visible in the hobby. Could be wrong, but I don't think the major dealers and auction houses have typically bothered to note that a book was from the collection, although the markings are distinctive enough to make it evident. 

1 hour ago, walclark said:

Nobody likes Cookevilles more than me, but I won't be resubmitting my copies for the new label.  Also, I don't pay a premium for them.  With the wide variations in the markings (SN, NN, SMN, block letters or cursive, and pencil, pen, marker, maybe even crayon) and no master list available, it would seem to be very easy to fake a Cookeville.  Also, @adamstrange is correct...the quality also varies. I have Cookevilles that range from 9.2 to 0.5.

I think CGC's write-up about the collection is also incorrect.  My understanding is that two sisters (and probably other relatives) worked at the store where the comics were purchased, but they were not Leroy or Jimmie's sisters.

Is some of this a reaction to the other guys recognizing some of these as pedigrees?

Well said.  It may well be a reaction to the competition. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Why in the world would you even bother sending them in now as these are only the best, but not yet the best of the best.  doh!

With something like 60 odd pedigrees out there, I am sure that CGC will eventually get around to introducing a Premium Pedigree Diamond encrusted slab in the not too distant future to recognize the true original pedigrees such as the Edgar Church MH books, Tom Reilly SF books, Larson's, Allentown's, Pacific Coast.  This really special and Premium Pedigree list will probably be limited to less than 10 of the truly big name pedigrees that every collector would know, as opposed to so many of these so-called no-name pedigrees that we are starting to see right now.  hm

They just need to wait for everybody to send in and pay to have all of their current pedigrees reholdered into the new slabs before introducing their new and super improved Diamond encrusted Premium Pedigree label and slab a few years from now.  :taptaptap:  lol  

Come on...we all love to give our cash to CGC! To be fair...I was going to start sending old slabs in for re-holder anyway...this just serves as a little more motivation and a good place to start. :foryou:

Definitely smart biz move of CGC to have new labels for Pedigree collections, but it seems what is now considered a pedigree is watered down compared to how it was with a strict crtieria.

I think it's best to maintain those strict criteria and have a new colored label for these "collections" that do not quite make it to be assigned as a Pedigree.  The renowned Pedigrees should still garner multiple times fmv of a "regular" copy but if we see every big collection labeled as a pedigree now, those multiples may no longer be valued possibly? 

So, what color label do the Restored or Conserved pedigree books get now?  hm

Does the Pedigree Black trump everything else or are we going to end up with quasi black/purple labels for the Restored pedigrees and a quasi black/grey label for the Conserved pedigrees?  ???

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Another marketing move to get us to re-sub or get more books graded. Smart move on their part and it will work out great for them. 

Also smart to add new “official” pedigree collections to boost this new label. 

Of course those of us in the know have long ago recognized these collections as special. 

I agree with all of them except the Annie Gaines “pedigree”. Don’t get me wrong, I love Annie and have known her for years but aren’t these books already Gaines file copies and already a pedigree?

Bingo.  Cash grab. 

59 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, what color label do the Restored or Conserved pedigree books get now?  hm

Does the Pedigree Black trump everything else or are we going to end up with quasi black/purple labels for the Restored pedigrees and a quasi black/grey label for the Conserved pedigrees?  ???

Near the top of the announcement pasted on the first page, "Only pedigrees that qualify for a Universal grade will receive the new label."

At least that sounds like the plan for now; anything is possible in the future...