• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
3 3

554 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Over in Marvel Comics, I noticed there are like a dozen X-titles out now or out soon and only one of them uses the title "X-Men." I wonder if Marvel is subliminally trying to prime the public for the X-movie to be titled anything other than "X-Men"?

What’s the point? The vast majority of people that see these movies don’t even read comics. 

43 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

What’s the point? The vast majority of people that see these movies don’t even read comics. 

When I say public I mean comic book readers. General audiences aren't so tied to the name the way older comic book readers are.

Kevin Feige is in charge of Marvel Comics now, so my guess is he may have something to do with this if "this" is indeed a thing. But there are literally 12 X-titles in publication including Wolverine and only one uses the name "X-Men." Add that Kevin Feige referred to them as "the mutants" at Comic Con and I think the writing is on the wall: the MCU X-movie will be titled something other than "X-Men." People like to blame Victoria Alonso but it's Feige who's the true progressive over there. I think we're going to see the slow disappearance of that name and by the time the movie comes around it'll be more like a World of X with Professor Xavier obviously at the helm and maybe a woman for balance, like Moira McTaggert or something, since she's a mutant now. And technically, if Professor X's mutants aren't an official government entity, do they realistically need a team name out of the gate? I don't think so. But come to think of it, maybe the traditional name won't disappear in the comics. That might be too much.

"Mutants"  is not a great title, though, and Stan Lee is lucky the powers that be made him change it. It conjures up images of monsters and deformities, I think. Whatever the future name will be, it should still have 'X' in it. I think it'll be something like World of X or Dawn of X or something.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

17 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

When I say public I mean comic book readers. General audiences aren't so tied to the name the way older comic book readers are.

Kevin Feige is in charge of Marvel Comics now, so my guess is he may have something to do with this if "this" is indeed a thing. But there are literally 12 X-titles in publication including Wolverine and only one uses the name "X-Men." Add that Kevin Feige referred to them as "the mutants" at Comic Con and I think the writing is on the wall: the MCU X-movie will be titled something other than "X-Men." People like to blame Victoria Alonso but it's Feige who's the true progressive over there. I think we're going to see the slow disappearance of that name and by the time the movie comes around it'll be more like a World of X with Professor Xavier obviously at the helm and maybe a woman for balance, like Moira McTaggert or something, since she's a mutant now. And technically, if Professor X's mutants aren't an official government entity, do they realistically need a team name out of the gate? I don't think so. But come to think of it, maybe the traditional name won't disappear in the comics. That might be too much.

"Mutants"  is not a great title, though, and Stan Lee is lucky the powers that be made him change it. It conjures up images of monsters and deformities, I think. Whatever the future name will be, it should still have 'X' in it. I think it'll be something like World of X or Dawn of X or something.

Would it be progressive to call women wo-sapiens, since men is incorporated into the word? What about human, female, etc...? Where do we draw the line? Should sexes be referred to as completely different species? This isn't progressive at all, it's regressive. I think this is just a new way to confuse & divide people through modern fundamentalism. Another argument I can put forward is that since women have the extra X chromosome, the X added to the title could also be appreciated as a feminine aspect, rather than simply a mutation.

Edited by chezmtghut

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

1963: Stan Lee gives into concerns 'Mutants' may not connect with readers so he ended up calling them 'X-Men' to account for X-gene making women and men mutants

1963-1969: X-Men

1970's: X-Men

1980's: X-Men

1990's: X-Men

2000s: X-Men

2010's: X-Men

2019: Victoria Alonso declares 'X-Men' is outdated as it doesn't account for female members

2020: Was she serious with that comment without reflecting on the decades of female members? Hope they see through the noise how wrong this is.

2021: MCU zombies declare "Well Stan originally wanted it to be 'The Mutants' so let's honor his original desires and ignore 58 years of lore and publicity including in comic books and films!"

:facepalm:

“It’s good to have an open mind. Just don’t be so open-minded that your brain falls out.” 

On 3/26/2021 at 2:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

1963: Stan Lee gives into concerns 'Mutants' may not connect with readers so he ended up calling them 'X-Men' to account for X-gene making women and men mutants

2019: Victoria Alonso declares 'X-Men' is outdated as it doesn't account for female members

2020: Was she serious with that comment without reflecting on the decades of female members? Hope they see through the noise how wrong this is.

2021: MCU zombies declare "Well Stan originally wanted it to be 'The Mutants' so let's honor his original desires and ignore 58 years of lore and publicity including in comic books and films!"

She needs to go away and let the Mandalorian duo take over.....

Just now, bentbryan said:

I just can’t see Anthony Starr as Wolvie but I would be excited either way to have him in the MCU! 

For him to take time out of his day to respond that thought was interesting. Like 'let me see if anyone guessed some pending news' interesting.

On 4/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, Bosco685 said:

That was an interesting response to a Wolverine mention.

hm

Seriously, this is what passes for news? I wonder if there's any headlines on the tweet about his interest in serial killers.

7 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

Seriously, this is what passes for news? I wonder if there's any headlines on the tweet about his interest in serial killers.

Uhm. Okay.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

It should always be The X-Men. But if the woke decide to change it, whatever, my X-Men #1 doesn’t need films to raise its value. This is my last major Marvel key after selling my 8.5 Hulk 1 years ago. (Big mistake).

45 minutes ago, Oddball said:

It should always be The X-Men. But if the woke decide to change it, whatever, my X-Men #1 doesn’t need films to raise its value. This is my last major Marvel key after selling my 8.5 Hulk 1 years ago. (Big mistake).

:applause:

2 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Here you go.

Sorry. If you are going to belittle a post so ignorantly (I'm surprised), I'll play along.

What you just posted DIRECTLY TIES to the show Antony Starr has gained brand new attention over. So of course he is going to react at times to The Boys post.

Wolverine - he has nothing to do with the X-Men or the character at all. So with Twitter having 192 million active users and someone randomly mentioning 'Wolverine' and Antony Starr shows up to comment on this out of the blue - yeah. That is going to gain attention.

Think more. Be a jerk less.