• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That doesn't mean they can't be undone...trims usually not, but CT and tear seals, sure...but if it is there, it is there.

Ok I'll bite. If they are calling it CT and it's really just distributor overspray, why couldn't they be seeing something that isn't tear seal either?

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This attitude is what I find the most shocking.

If restoration exists, it is absolute. It's not a matter of opinion, like grading. If a book is trimmed post-production, it's trimmed, whether it was caught or not. If a book is color touched, it's color touched, whether it's detected or not. Same with tear seals. That doesn't mean they can't be undone...trims usually not, but CT and tear seals, sure...but if it is there, it is there. 

I am not suggesting that either company got it right OR wrong in this case when it came to detecting or not detecting all of this. But it's this "hey, let's see if you can send it back to CBCS and see if they miss it!" that is nothing more than gaming the system, which is why grading companies exist in the first place.

It's one thing to disagree with a company's grading...within reason. It's quite another to send a book in that you know, or even that you're relatively sure, has restoration (rather than you can't tell) and "hope" that they miss it so you can then sell it to a dupe. The "gain" isn't legitimate...IF the resto is actually there...it's ill-gotten.

That's crossing the line. 

Agree with everything you said here.  3rd Party opinion does not exist as a means to game the system.  

Resto is resto.  If it’s there, it’s there.  We can debate the gap in prices realized for a blue vs purple in another thread.

Someone trying to sneak a book by?  That’s the reason 3rd party grading exists.

14 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Ok I'll bite. If they are calling it CT and it's really just distributor overspray, why couldn't they be seeing something that isn't tear seal either?

Not spray-felt pen

10 minutes ago, wombat said:

If it properly graded by CGC now, why?

I was referring to a hypothetical scenario where CBCS/Steve compensated the owner of the book. Usually, in such an instance, the company buys back the item, so it's there's to do what they want. IF one of those things they want to do with the book is to put it back in circulation, then it would be graded properly before it's released back into consumer market.

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

I was referring to a hypothetical scenario where CBCS/Steve compensated the owner of the book. Usually, in such an instance, the company buys back the item, so it's there's to do what they want. IF one of those things they want to do with the book is to put it back in circulation, then it would be graded properly before it's released back into consumer market.

In this scenario I guess they could say it was now graded properly (just by another company) so no need to do it themselves and save a few bucks by letting the owner sell it. But i can certainly see them wanting the book back as well. 

The CGC boards needs to rethink a more loser name to say instead of  Voldy.  Voldemort is reserved for a powerful evil entity with a cool persona.  The company that should not be named just shouldn't be named because they are a joke of a bush league makeshift company.  Rather have PGX grade my AF 15's than those hacks. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I think the CGC boards needs to rethink a more loser name to stay instead of  Voldy.  Voldemort is reserved for a powerful evil entity with a cool persona.  The company that should not be named just shouldn't be name because they are a joke of a bush league makeshift company.  Rather have PGX grade my AF 15's than those hacks. 

What about Brand Ecchs

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Meaner.....:rulez:

Spunky Magillicuddy's Grading Service?

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Here is the new game in town I suspect some are doing.  Buy 5 restored CGC books and see how many BLGS will grade unrestored so you can make some free money. :wishluck:

practice makes perfect and voldy just wants to validate its vehicular verritabilty...