• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

They do have a side argument of but if it is the same book the guy trimmed his 10K book and sent it to CGC

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm not sure if the issue was trimming, but I seem to remember that @namisgr had purchased a book off the rack and it came back with some resto. It was a while ago.

I seem to remember a few years ago someone had an issue with an ASM,I think issue 121?It went back and forth and if I remember right,somehow a paperclip was involved in the whole mess.My uncle was all riled up about it,but I can't ask him anymore.

10 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm not sure if the issue was trimming, but I seem to remember that @namisgr had purchased a book off the rack and it came back with some resto. It was a while ago.

I can confirm.  The ASM #121 I bought off the rack was graded by CGC as having been trimmed on the right edge.  There's a long thread about it somewhere on the Board archives from over a decade ago.

They make mistakes, and in both directions: they sometimes miss trimming, and they sometimes assign trimming when none has occurred.

Edited by namisgr

27 minutes ago, kav said:

The "it's not the same book" guys are desperately trying to do PR so their slabbed books dont slip in value.  I was baffled by the obtuseness of some over there then I remembered-Follow the money.

It would be awfully hard to replicate that bottom staple.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

It would be awfully hard to replicate that bottom staple.

I feel like I'm on a facebook group, posting over there.  Goofy.

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I can confirm.  The ASM #121 I bought off the rack was graded by CGC as having been trimmed on the right edge.  There's a long thread about it somewhere on the Board archives from over a decade ago.

They make mistakes, and in both directions: they sometimes miss trimming, and they sometimes assign trimming when none has occurred.

I wasn't sure if it was yours.Am I remembering the paperclip part right or am I mixing two stories together?

13 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I wasn't sure if it was yours.Am I remembering the paperclip part right or am I mixing two stories together?

Good memory, Jimmers.  My book was originally damaged by a paperclip used by CGC to hold the paperwork together and placed on top of my stack of books during a convention submission.  The ASM #121 was on top of my submission stack, and the staple made an imprint into the cover that wasn't there before submission.  Then CGC gave the book a 'trimmed on right edge' designation.  :frustrated:

It was a sweet copy, too.  Here's a scan sporting the purple label.

ASM121PLOD.thumb.jpg.1750741f9b99769626c002633c7924b2.jpg

Edited by namisgr

My god, they continue to post like there is doubt about it being the same book regardless of the unique top ink mark: "It does not convince me because there are other discrepancies just as compelling."
The 'other discrepancies' they speak of are literally the result of camera variables and file artifacts. The two images were both shot differently (at a slight camera shift, lighting), have different plastic cases with wear, and both saved in different ways (color profiles, varying compression, possibly different web format type. Even HOW the original images were resized down matters!) - which would account for so many of those issues people are seeing on these lower resolution pictures. Sigh.

Did anyone end up getting the CGC grader notes for the issue?

11 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Good memory, Jimmers.  My book was originally damaged by a paperclip used by CGC to hold the paperwork together and placed on top of my stack of books during a convention submission.  The ASM #121 was on top of my submission stack, and the staple made an imprint into the cover that wasn't there before submission.  Then CGC gave the book a 'trimmed on right edge' designation.  :frustrated:

It was a sweet copy, too.  Here's a scan sporting the purple label.

ASM121PLOD.thumb.jpg.1750741f9b99769626c002633c7924b2.jpg

I can't imagine the frustration.

Thank you for confirming I remembered right-these days I don't trust the ol' synapse roads as I used to. :foryou:

7 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

My god, they continue to post like there is doubt about it being the same book regardless of the unique top ink mark: "It does not convince me because there are other discrepancies just as compelling."
The 'other discrepancies' they speak of are literally the result of camera variables and file artifacts. The two images were both shot differently (at a slight camera shift, lighting), have different plastic cases with wear, and both saved in different ways (color profiles, varying compression, possibly different web format type. Even HOW the original images were resized down matters!) - which would account for so many of those issues people are seeing on these lower resolution pictures. Sigh.

someone did it's in the thread,, if I find it first I'll tag you...

20 hours ago, eee91 said:

The grading notes on the other company's book-

Notes:
small distro ink sop through top edge
spine stress barely breaks color
arrival date top back cover in grease pencil

@Sauce Dog @kav will this help? I didn't see the "CGC" notes just voldy

11 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

:roflmao:

If the comics were align evenly in a stack, tilted backwards, with even pressure applied to a marker, it is possible. Your reasoning is compelling, but some other blemishes disappeared and I would not rely upon a photograph to make that final decision.

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

So I just registered an account with Voldy, and it says that the account is under review.  Is that normal?(shrug)

yes

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

So I just registered an account with Voldy, and it says that the account is under review.  Is that normal?(shrug)

Nevermind

Edited by porcupine48