• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
15 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Nah

I just wanted to say hi to Watson:banana:

I "liked" your post. Had to log in to do it; looks like it's been over a year since I've done that. Reading those boards too much makes me feel like your avatar.

I said hi

I think I'm done over there now.....

Sportshort said: Here are my two cents, assuming it's the same book. If i had been the guy that bought it then sent it to CGC and it came back "restored" and I never had it restored, i would've cracked it and sent it back to CBCS and complained like mad about the situation, rather than try and sell it at a huge loss.

So the story at face value makes little sense. Either the buyer/seller had the restoration done himself and took a hit and didn't complain (because he made his bed)or it's not the same book (unlikely since the checker pattern has the same smudge on the same spot in both books (who would want to duplicate that (no advantage)). 

I am left with the only one conclusion that makes any sense and that is that the owner/buyer had the restoration done himself thinking he could get more money for it and failed miserably.

Or CBCS missed it.

Restoration after the fact? Possible. Likely? Not remotely.

This is the same company that graded a NM book purposely printed to look worn as a 5.5. 

62392634_10102205417358076_5679806013704

(I'd show the slab, but I don't think it's allowed...)

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Or CBCS missed it.

Restoration after the fact? Possible. Likely? Not remotely.

This is the same company that graded a NM book purposely printed to look worn as a 5.5. 

62392634_10102205417358076_5679806013704

(I'd show the slab, but I don't think it's allowed...)

You’re making that up....

Watson said: It's the same book cracked out of the CBCS holder, micro-trimmed, color touched, and resubmitted to the cgc hoping they would miss it like they did with the Ewert books years ago. That explains why the submitter to the cgc isn't raising holy hell after losing thousands on a cpr that went completely sideways.

Top edge is exactly the same. Either A. the top edge is NOT trimmed, as CGC claims, or B. the top edge was trimmed before it went to CBCS.

What is the most likely scenario...? (Hint: not A.)

Again: possible that a 9.2 copy of a major Silver Age key was restored in between...? Yes. Likely? Not remotely.

Now...that said. it's certainly possible that the submitter of that book DID damage it to an actual 5.5...but paying for the submission PLUS the "authentication" fee ($25, last time I checked) would be a little hefty, just to give CBCS some bad press.

So, that said, I can't confirm that the book is not a real 5.5...but you'd have to see it in hand to tell for sure.

In all fairness.

If that’s distributor over spray, it’s weird that it’s only at that one spot.  I would think it would bleed more.  Maybe I’m wrong that there’s CT there.

It looks to me like there is CT at Batgirl’s left foot, right at her boot heel.  The purple there isn’t consistent with the surrounding area (it looks like even a little got onto her heel).

There’s no question that it’s the same book.  Anyone saying otherwise has some agenda.  

I still think there’s got to be more to this. I just can’t believe they would miss CT and tear seal.   Those are (probably) the two easiest forms of resto to detect.  Anyone, and I mean anyone, can spot a tear seal.  You can’t hide that.  

Catman said: Over on the CGC boards debate over this book is pretty partisan. It has the appearance of the “aha, gotcha” defensive posturing favoring their grading service over the nearest competition. I made the reasonable argument that no grading service gets it right 100% of the time using the example of CBCS catching slight restoration on a CGC graded book I submitted for cracking and re-encapsulation that had previously received a CGC blue label.

I can't and don't speak for anyone else, but I can speak for me, and I'll say that your analysis is inaccurate. It's not a "favoring their grading service." It's "CBCS is sloppy, irresponsible, and lazy." It's not uptalking CGC. It's downtalking CBCS. Of course no grading service gets it 100% right...but that's not ever the point, nor is it ever the argument people make. The point is consistency over time. Based on the evidence, it's much, much more likely that CBCS would make these mistakes than CGC. And one shouldn't have to say "CGC's hardly perfect!" every single time to avoid accusations of partisanship.

Do you have pictures of your book you're referring to?

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

Good point. And also possible if that did happen we would never learn about it. 

A distinct possibility.  When Steve was head of CGC, that certainly happened (and, to CGC’s credit, that has continued).  

Tedsaid, er, said: I'll tell you what, though. I would LOVE to buy that comic for $1000 and send it to CBCS, on the greater-than-50%-chance CGC "spotted" resto that isn't there. (Well ... greater than 50% chance in my opinion.) That would definitely be worth a gamble. At that point, you can really only win, because the value can't drop much below $1000; and even restored, it would probably go up in value. It's gambling maybe $100 on commissions lost for a potential $9000 gain

This attitude is what I find the most shocking.

If restoration exists, it is absolute. It's not a matter of opinion, like grading. If a book is trimmed post-production, it's trimmed, whether it was caught or not. If a book is color touched, it's color touched, whether it's detected or not. Same with tear seals. That doesn't mean they can't be undone...trims usually not, but CT and tear seals, sure...but if it is there, it is there. 

I am not suggesting that either company got it right OR wrong in this case when it came to detecting or not detecting all of this. But it's this "hey, let's see if you can send it back to CBCS and see if they miss it!" that is nothing more than gaming the system, which is why grading companies exist in the first place.

It's one thing to disagree with a company's grading...within reason. It's quite another to send a book in that you know, or even that you're relatively sure, has restoration (rather than you can't tell) and "hope" that they miss it so you can then sell it to a dupe. The "gain" isn't legitimate...IF the resto is actually there...it's ill-gotten.

That's crossing the line. 

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes. 

They're not rational. That forum is nothing but an extension of Facebook.

And!!! I!!! wish!!!! Jesse_O!!!! would!!!! stop??? overusing???? punctuation!!!!

Repeat what you wrote while looking at this image. 

latest?cb=20180208130543&path-prefix=en

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

So I just registered an account with Voldy, and it says that the account is under review.  Is that normal?(shrug)

It does when you register as "you_guys_can't_grade_for_toffees"

lol