• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, kav said:

This story could shake the confidence big time in collectors.  "yeah that $10,000 book might actually be a $900 book-"

well my confidence in Voldy has changed... If I ever buy one I will have to definitely be very careful and check very thoroughly like its a raw book

when I initially read the graders notes on Voldy I thought that black at the top was the distro ink they were referring to but I am not expert in noticing CT and couldn't tell if that was the CT that CGC was noting or if there was CT anywhere else. 

17 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

The conversation over on CBCS is a joke, I am honestly baffled how anyone could think these are two different books. Color differences are just from the scanning/photo exposure, but all the minute details match up (and those that don't you can see are a result of the artifact compression in the image, so some scratches disappear or marks become blurred). 

Some claims about the book being trimmed after CBCS graded it are also reaching, as any difference in the right side can easily be explained by a shifting of the cover in the new slab (I have books that shift like this differently when I put them in an archive sleeve, with a tiny bit of the page peeking out more or less certain times). 

Also, as a web developer, I would like to officially declare that their forum system is a damn travesty of hot garbage. Who thought it was a good idea to sort content based on category tags rather then sub forums groups? 

Some wishful thinking going on over there.

giphy.gif

Edited by awakeintheashes

18 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Why would you black out what should be a white square on the checkerboard though? That doesn't make any sense, as your eye is immediately drawn to it. What am I missing? 

Sometimes, something like this should be looked at as a straying mark. Particularly because of the location. It could have been under something that someone wrote over, overspray, and part of it ended-up on the cover. To call this as CT misses the mark on colour touched areas which are done with the intention of masking a defect.

Edited by comicwiz

6 hours ago, herc2000 said:

I like CGC and CBCS, there's not usually issues like this to my knowledge. There were a lot of trimmed books missed by CGC over the years, JE and some other antique dealer form the UK, so it can be hard to tell in some cases, especially, as in these two cases when the person is so intent on trying to con the system.

Has it ever happened that a book is designated trimmed, when in fact it's not been trimmed?

One better, CGC graded Spider-Dan's JIM 83 three different ways, on three different ocassions. One of those was deemed trimmed at the top edge (second submission). For those with amnesia, Harshen refused to accept that it was even the same book when Spider-Dan showed him the book when it was purchased as blue label (unrestored). Beyond the micro-trimming, this was also an important grader blooper event because it confirmed a belief that submitters were sending in books around CGC's convention schedule, hoping to let books pass through with a "skeleton" grading crew, or in other words, hoping to run "iffy" books through less seasoned eyes who stayed behind to grade books.

8 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

In case you might not recall, Spider-Dan's JIM 83 went from blue, to purple (top edge trimmed), to blue. Now that was something.

I very much remember that... 

It is astonishing to me that those of us that prefer CGC can say that companies make mistakes and CGC has missed the mark before.  I have VERY little respect for those that offer nothing but blind allegiance and project infallibility upon their choice and make excuses or deny the existence of fact.  (Yes I am talking about more than just CBCS).  

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

It is astonishing to me that those of us that prefer CGC can say that companies make mistakes and CGC has missed the mark before.  I have VERY little respect for those that offer nothing but blind allegiance and project infallibility upon their choice and make excuses or deny the existence of fact.  (Yes I am talking about more than just CBCS).  

I agree. Sometimes reminding people of the past causes certain people here to mischaracterize me as having an axe to grind. They couldn't be further from the truth, and I have an even harder time dignifying their views with a response because they are exactly the kind of people you speak about.

The Spider-Dan JIM 83 incident also offered us a window into CGC's protocol - the fact Harshen gave pushback when Spider-Dan showed him it was in a blue label, after he got it back on a resub with a purple label. That was the first time we'd ever seen, or heard any official requirement that CGC is incapable of seeing it as the same book unless it's in it's tamper evident holder.

Both incredulous and riduclous if you think all the before and after detective work this undermines from the type of community activity which caught things CGC was incapable of catching themselves.

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Nobody is perfect and that is the way it will always be.

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

The conversation over on CBCS is a joke, I am honestly baffled how anyone could think these are two different books. Color differences are just from the scanning/photo exposure, but all the minute details match up (and those that don't you can see are a result of the artifact compression in the image, so some scratches disappear or marks become blurred). 

Some claims about the book being trimmed after CBCS graded it are also reaching, as any difference in the right side can easily be explained by a shifting of the cover in the new slab (I have books that shift like this differently when I put them in an archive sleeve, with a tiny bit of the page peeking out more or less certain times). 

Also, as a web developer, I would like to officially declare that their forum system is a damn travesty of hot garbage. Who thought it was a good idea to sort content based on category tags rather then sub forums groups? 

:applause:

The idea that the book was trimmed, color touched, and tear sealed IN BETWEEN gradings is silly. Sure, it's possible...but the likelihood is functionally none. Buying a book that is theoretically a 9.2 and then "restoring" it to get a tiny bump in grade in a PLOD.

"But what about Ewert!" Ewert was micro-trimming, true, but he wasn't also (that we know) sealing tears and color touching. Such things would have defeated his scam, and CGC's a lot better at detecting color touch (mainly because it's generally the most obvious.)

34 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"But what about Ewert!"

That made me do a Google search, which lead me to YouTube, which led me to this:

The Jason Ewert Booth At San Diego Comic-Con. Filmed In 1993.

The "it's not the same book" guys are desperately trying to do PR so their slabbed books dont slip in value.  I was baffled by the obtuseness of some over there then I remembered-Follow the money.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

The "it's not the same book" guys are desperately trying to do PR so their slabbed books dont slip in value.  I was baffled by the obtuseness of some over there then I remembered-Follow the money.

How are they dismissing the distributor sop?

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe it's predictive, they're seeing it in the future with the sop removed by the "stealth alterations" folks and back in a blue label. Might even grade higher with a nod and a wink.

Edited by comicwiz

2 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Maybe it's predictive, they're seeing it in the future with the sop removed by the "stealth alterations" folks and back in a blue label. Might even grade higher with a nod and a wink.

:ph34r:

9 hours ago, herc2000 said:

I like CGC and CBCS, there's not usually issues like this to my knowledge. There were a lot of trimmed books missed by CGC over the years, JE and some other antique dealer form the UK, so it can be hard to tell in some cases, especially, as in these two cases when the person is so intent on trying to con the system.

Has it ever happened that a book is designated trimmed, when in fact it's not been trimmed?

I'm not sure if the issue was trimming, but I seem to remember that @namisgr had purchased a book off the rack and it came back with some resto. It was a while ago.

12 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Their entire argument consists of "It's not the same book".