• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI show (TBD)
9 9

547 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, Comics4All said:

Cautiously optimistic!

I heard it was gonna be a darker show & the House of Mouse made them redo it, making less doom & gloom.

OWK better not tell anyone to go make baby banthas, or I'm canceling my subscription to Disney + ! 

Yup

Darth Maul, a chief antagonist of Ewan McGregor’s Obi-Wan Kenobi who first appeared in Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace, is not expected to appear in the series. But, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, not only was the Sith Lord initially slated to return to the live-action Disney+ series as a key villain, actor Ray Park was in active prep to reprise Maul.

That, however, was before those scenes were scrapped amid a creative overhaul that ultimately saw other antagonists, including Darth Vader, added to the show.

Hossein Amini was the original writer who worked with director Deborah Chow on the six-episode series. And while it was reported that preproduction paused in early 2020 because Lucasfilm was unhappy with the scripts, the reasoning behind the pause was a little more layered. According to sources, Chow showed the scripts to Star Wars stewards Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau, who were coming off the success of The Mandalorian, freshly launched in November 2019, and deep into work on season two.

Sources note that Filoni and Favreau were concerned about Obi-Wan covering similar ground as Mandalorian — the Lone Wolf and Cub-like story of Kenobi coming out of hiding to protect a child-aged Luke Skywalker. Maul was one of the villains who would participate in the hunt for the pair; Vader was nowhere to be found in this faraway galaxy at this stage, according to those with knowledge of the project. Also, Filoni and Favreau pushed Chow and the show to “go bigger,” according to several sources. In any case, those concerns made their way to Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy, who pressed the pause button. (Joby Harold was eventually hired as the show’s new writer).

On 3/14/2022 at 4:48 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yup

I don't like the idea of  OBK & Luke being chased by Maul. That would be something Luke would remember!

I would have liked to see Maul reprise the role, but he was already killed by OBK in Rebels.

I like having Vader in this show, but not sure how they will do it if they were only supposed to see each other the one time from ROTS to ANH?

It seems like they are focusing more on the inquisitors in this trailer than anything else, but we shall see! 

I believe this takes place slightly before Rebels, so Maul is not truly dead yet. I'd rather not see Maul interact with Luke, as you said, he would remember it. His fight in Rebels with OBK also would seem to imply they had not seen each in quite some time so it would seem odd if Maul was actually in this show.

Same with the dialogue between Vader and OBK from A New Hope, it clearly implies they haven't seen each in a long time, I'd say since their fight in ROTS. So, while its exciting to have Vader in the show, and guiding the Inquisitors I'm not expecting another fight between the two in this show.

On 3/14/2022 at 4:48 PM, Bosco685 said:

Yup

To me, the whole thing sounds like the writers did not fully understand the current canon and Filoni had to shut it down. He probably told them to watch Rebels and make a show about what they think Obi-Wan is doing during this time.

When Maul confronts Obi-Wan in Rebels, Maul is led to Obi-Wan by Ezra, so you could assume that Maul did not know where Obi-Wan was hiding out. So, Maul chasing after Luke and Obi-Wan would make no sense. Maul would know exactly where to find him.

Also, Maul’s final words to Obi-Wan about Luke (who he doesn’t mention by name) are a realization that there is another skywalker and Obi-Wan is looking over him. None of that interaction would have made any sense if Maul spent 6 Disney+ Episodes chasing after him.

From the sounds of it, the original scripts would have forced Star Wars fans to do some massive canonical mental gymnastics to rationalize what they were seeing. 

I’m heartened by this news in that scripts for new projects are being run by Filoni. My biggest fear when I heard Filoni was not overseeing this show is exactly what he shut down. Phew. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 3/14/2022 at 11:23 PM, awakeintheashes said:

To me, the whole thing sounds like the writers did not fully understand the current canon and Filoni had to shut it down. He probably told them to watch Rebels and make a show about what they think Obi-Wan is doing during this time.

When Maul confronts Obi-Wan in Rebels, Maul is led to Obi-Wan by Ezra, so you could assume that Maul did not know where Obi-Wan was hiding out. So, Maul chasing after Luke and Obi-Wan would make no sense. Maul would know exactly where to find him.

Also, Maul’s final words to Obi-Wan about Luke (who he doesn’t mention by name) are a realization that there is another skywalker and Obi-Wan is looking over him. None of that interaction would have made any sense if Maul spent 6 Disney+ Episodes chasing after him.

From the sounds of it, the original scripts would have forced Star Wars fans to do some massive canonical mental gymnastics to rationalize what they were seeing. 

I’m heartened by this news in that scripts for new projects are being run by Filoni. My biggest fear when I heard Filoni was not overseeing this show is exactly what he shut down. Phew. 

Must have learned from the Boba Fett show not turning over the story flow to the director completely for certain episodes. As that was disappointing.

There have been quite a few articles going around today about the episode I referenced above because it’s the 5th anniversary of its airing. 

if you’d like to get a sense of its importance, how well it’s regarded, and an excerpt from a cool Filoni interview at the end, this is a good article. 

5 Years Ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi Killed Darth Maul Again, and the World Forgot

Everything about the episode is just stunning. The music, the cinematography, Maul’s tortured rants, his manipulation of Ezra, Obi-Wan’s grasp on the entire situation, and more. In 22 minutes, Filoni packs in more stakes, tension, story, and mythology than a few of the more recent Star Wars feature films.

…earlier this week, rumors began to spread that Maul was considered as part of the upcoming Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi show, only for Filoni himself to nix the idea in favor of bringing back Darth Vader. And though Lucasfilm reportedly denied the rumor, the idea of it even being tangentially discussed is a slap in the face to “Twin Suns,” which so elegantly shows not just Maul and Kenobi showing down for the last time, but, chronologically, one of our first glimpses of a young Luke Skywalker as well.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:23 PM, awakeintheashes said:

you should try watching some of the Book of Boba Fett episodes. :) Go for the GOLD. 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:19 AM, fett said:

you should try watching some of the Book of Boba Fett episodes. :) Go for the GOLD. 

lol  fair, but nothing in BoBF reached the level of what was described with Maul.

BoBF challenged long held views on who Fett was, and it wasn’t good in some areas. It explored an unknown period in his life and his relationship to the larger Star Wars Universe, which was a blank slate in canon.

BoBF didn’t force us to believe stuff went down that we’d have to shoehorn into an already explored timeline with the character and contradict some of his actions in that timeline - specifically, his interaction with another character.

This has me heartened.

Hayden Christensen binged Star Wars animated shows to prepare for Obi-Wan Kenobi

While McGregor went back and watched the entire Skywalker saga, Christensen went even deeper into the Star Wars canon. "I went back and rewatched all the films," says the man who will be once again going behind the mask as Darth Vader. "And I also got into the animated shows, The Clone Wars and Rebels."

There's obviously a lot more Anakin/Vader content to consume in those series, which helped give the actor even more perspective and material to draw upon in terms on both what his character has been through in the years leading up to Obi-Wan Kenobi and what is on the horizon after.

"It was interesting," Christensen says of binging The Clone Wars and Rebels. "They did a lot with these characters in those shows. And they did further explore the relationship. There was interesting stuff there to learn about. It was great fun getting to go back and re-immerse yourself in this world that just continues to grow and become more and more vast."