• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MS. MARVEL Kamela Khan series (TBD)
2 2

197 posts in this topic

Great second episode that felt like a good escalation in pacing. The roof top training sequence made me really wish we one day get a young Ice Man in the MCU as seeing those hard light steps and slide were just perfect for such things. Interesting that the drones looked very much like the chunky Stark drones from Far From Home.

LoL'd at correcting 'converts' group to 'reverts'; a great example of how they are peppering a great deal of Islamic concepts while keeping them all very much accessible and not absolutely required to understand in order to get the plot (as sometimes it can risk bogging down the dialogue with concepts many might be unfamiliar with - though I'm sure that the scene in the car meant to do this on purpose, so that the audience felt as detached and out of their element as the rest of the car as the two fan gushed about the movies they had in common but others didn't know...except for Kingo, cause everybody knows him) 

Edited by Sauce Dog

I liked the pilot episode more. This episode focused more on family dynamic and cultural challenges. Less on personal development as a character. Not that it was a bad episode.

I'm kinda waiting for it to end then binge watch it but several people I respect (their taste) have said they enjoyed it, I am getting tempted to start watching it

I'm not familiar with this character, as I haven't kept up with modern Marvel stuff for many years, so I came into the show a blank slate. I've read some things about how they've apparently changed the powers or something, but that doesn't really mean anything to me. I will say that I don't love the show, and it is definitely my least favorite of the Marvel Disney shows to date. It feels like it is geared at a younger audience, and I think that's great, but it's not really appealing to me personally. The humor doesn't work, and the teens are annoying, much like real life teens are annoying. I'd rather not spend time with high schoolers in real life, so spending time with them in entertainment, eh, it's not for me. I have similar feelings about the Spider-man movies, which I didn't much care for either.

The parts I enjoy the most are the scenes at home, the family stuff, and learning more about their culture and lives. I like those bits. But the teenage humor and daydreaming and actual superhero stuff, doesn't do much for me. Feels very teen Disney, which makes sense, as that is what Disney does. I think it's great that Marvel is looking to expand its reach and target demographics other than my own (typical middle aged white dude) but the show doesn't land for me. And that is OK! It's not all about me! Of all of the Disney+ shows, the only ones I really loved were Hawkeye, and Captain America and the Winter Soldier (and Moon Knight, to a certain extent), and the rest have been varying degrees of "fine". I'm really a dumb action movie guy at heart, so I tend to enjoy the shows that are more in that vein.

However, my wife is loving Ms Marvel, and laughs at the jokes and is getting a kick out of it, so what do I know? I'll finish watching it, and maybe it'll click for me at some point. I hope it does, it's much more fun to watch something that you're invested in.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:25 AM, F For Fake said:

However, my wife is loving Ms Marvel, and laughs at the jokes and is getting a kick out of it, so what do I know?

I'm not surprised, but yea, I was bored throughout episode 3.  We got what, ten seconds of action while she was running away from that group who wants the bangle?  zzz

I have the same general problem with all of the Disney Plus shows--they spend 4 to 6 hours doing stuff that could have easily fit into a 2-hour movie, so there's just a ton of slow-moving, extraneous filler.  What they spent almost an hour on in this third episode could have been done in five minutes, but I guess then your wife wouldn't have gotten all the teenage angst, family politics, and dance sequences that I found boring.

All of which I suppose I'm fine with since Ms Marvel probably SHOULD appeal more to women than men.

Should we assume that the dead hand that they took the bangle from back in 1942 in episode 3 was a Kree warrior?  It looked humanoid aside from the blue skin, so I assume it was a Kree.

Did they ever explain why some Kree have blue skin and some don't in Captain Marvel?  I don't think they did, but perhaps I'm mistaken.  I know Ronin had blue skin, as did Minn-Erva.  But Yon-Rogg didn't.  I think all of the male Kree warriors on Yon-Rogg's team in the movie also had blue skin but don't fully remember.

Edited by fantastic_four

The Genie stuff is so far away from the comic, her origin has been completely changed. There is not a hint of any of that storyline in the book. Yes, the family life is very similar, her characteristics are close, but the hero aspect is very different.

I find that the feeling that all of these Disney shows could easily have been a 2 hour movie is painfully true.  Take 2 hrs stretch it out to 6 or 7 hrs with essentially fluff.

On 6/25/2022 at 5:58 PM, drotto said:

Possible oops? Apparently, to some Muslims Djinns are associated with shirk, which is a sin.

https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-muslim-fans-concern-kamala-power-source/

I don't think it is literal djinn's in her case, but rather just appear to match the tales she grew up with (others might have called them something different had the situation been changed). They could possibly just be what might have inspired the original tales of djinn, but how the djinn came to be regarded - and how the literary/cultural traditions developed - in such things as the Quran afterwards is totally separate from them.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:41 PM, ashsaytr said:

I'm enjoying this!

And me! Caught up on the second and third episodes yesterday and it's streets ahead of Moon Knight in my book.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:58 PM, drotto said:

Possible oops? Apparently, to some Muslims Djinns are associated with shirk, which is a sin.

https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-muslim-fans-concern-kamala-power-source/

I’m reminded of the Christians who protested the Harry Potter books since they supported witchcraft.  Those seemed to weather the storm fine.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, fantastic_four said:

Should we assume that the dead hand that they took the bangle from back in 1942 in episode 3 was a Kree warrior?  It looked humanoid aside from the blue skin, so I assume it was a Kree.

Did they ever explain why some Kree have blue skin and some don't in Captain Marvel?  I don't think they did, but perhaps I'm mistaken.  I know Ronin had blue skin, as did Minn-Erva.  But Yon-Rogg didn't.  I think all of the male Kree warriors on Yon-Rogg's team in the movie also had blue skin but don't fully remember.

My assumption is Kree. The first Kree we see in the MCU is a dead one in Agents of Shield when they're trying to figure out what happened to Coulson in "Tahiti" and it's blue too. They never really say why skin tones vary, but Mar Vell in Captain Marvel has the more human skintone as does Korath who was on Yon Roggs team who we also see in Guardians 1. I have a feeling it's to the actors discretion some not wanting to undergo the heavy makeup process. They also mention that there's 2 bangles that should have been in the rubble, but they only found the 1, so I'm guessing this is a quantum/nega bands sort of set. 

On 6/24/2022 at 3:48 PM, drotto said:

The Genie stuff is so far away from the comic, her origin has been completely changed. There is not a hint of any of that storyline in the book. Yes, the family life is very similar, her characteristics are close, but the hero aspect is very different.

I find that the feeling that all of these Disney shows could easily have been a 2 hour movie is painfully true.  Take 2 hrs stretch it out to 6 or 7 hrs with essentially fluff.

I'm thinking the "Genie" stuff is just a ruse to trick Kamala. By the time the series ends we're probably gonna get a lot closer to her comic origin, but they're more or less easing us into the concept of Inhumans. To trigger a terrigen mists at this point would be overwhelming to a planet that's just got back on track from the snap, and too heavy to try and explain in a lighter show focused solely on Kamala. At this point we have no motive or prior transgressions from the Inhuman royal family to pull such a drastic move. But that's just my 2c (shrug)