• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MS. MARVEL Kamela Khan series (TBD)
2 2

197 posts in this topic

Just finished Episode 3.

Although I thought Ep1 was good and Ep2 was okay, Ep3 makes me feel like Moon Knight that they are going to drag this origin out excessively. Which through previous experience now my mind is checking out more from this show.

That isn't good.

On 6/27/2022 at 4:22 PM, AJLewandoski said:

I'm thinking the "Genie" stuff is just a ruse to trick Kamala. By the time the series ends we're probably gonna get a lot closer to her comic origin, but they're more or less easing us into the concept of Inhumans. To trigger a terrigen mists at this point would be overwhelming to a planet that's just got back on track from the snap, and too heavy to try and explain in a lighter show focused solely on Kamala. At this point we have no motive or prior transgressions from the Inhuman royal family to pull such a drastic move. But that's just my 2c (shrug)

Inhumans is not something Disney is going to touch again after the dreadful show a few years back, and Inhumans being used extensively with Agents of Shield. Plus, the only reason they were being pushed was they did not have the rights to the X-Men.

As of E3, I'm still having fun with this one. I could quibble with oppressor politics or praise positive treatments of piety, but I'd rather allow the story to feature those bits as just another part of its telling & enjoy the tale as a whole. I'm finding it easy to do that.    

Finished Episode 4. And I respect how Marvel Studios is trying to expand its social influences beyond traditional hero stories. And there are definitely cute scenes here from time to time as Kamala learning her way through life.

But these shows should still get to the story, and stop trying to make Loki for other ethnic groups. Not everything has to be twists upon twists, dragging out the details.

I watched episode 4 last night.

I thought episode 2 and 3 were quite good. A definite improvement on the premiere episode. I was falling asleep on episode 4, although I liked what happened at the end. That got me interested.

I think the actress that plays Ms. Marvel is excellent. She's very charismatic. The main problem I have with the show is that Ms. Marvel, in similar fashion to Captain Marvel, is a boring superhero even if the actress portraying her is excellent.

If you expected Najma to utter the name "Inhuman," it's a reaction that Kamala Khan co-creator and Ms. Marvel supervising producer Sana Amanat anticipated.

"I switched over to Marvel Studios two and a half years ago. I came on for this project, specifically to shepherd it into production, and work with the writer's room that [head writer] Bisha [K. Ali] and her team put together," Amanat said in an interview with EW. "They were trying to steep the story in a different kind of mythos that was one linked to larger MCU stories, but also linked a little bit to the lore of Islamic and Asian mythology."

Amanat added: "My first thought when I came in was, 'Well, people are going to be really mad we changed these powers.'" 

Every Marvel movie, I watch on Preview nights.  Every Marvel TV show, I watch at midnight.  This is the first show where I've actually forgotten it's even released until I see a post on Reddit or somewhere that makes me go "oh yeah, that came out the other day."  I think it's been mentioned before, but it's partially the fact that it's a character I'm completely unfamiliar with and have no attachment to.  Every other character is somehow connected to a book or story that I read as a kid.  So there was an excitement to see them brought to live action.  The other part is that the show appears to be catered to a younger audience.  I'm really not sure where the plot is going and it's taking way too long to get there with (to this point) rather meaningless scenes.  The cousins, the aunts, the dinner party sequence.  I imagine these are cultural references that are just going over my head, but they're all taking time away from expanding on the core character/story.  To be fair, FatWS, Hawkeye, and some others also suffered from writing that sort of meandered at times.  I see the praise for the show, but I just don't get it.  With a lot of shows I wonder, "how many episodes are left?  I need more."  With Ms. Marvel, I wonder "how many more episodes do I have to sit through?"  Because at this point, it feels like more of an obligation just so I'm up to date on everything MCU related.

Needless to say, I'm growing increasingly concerned about "The Marvels".  I already dislike how Carol was written because she's far too powerful which makes it difficult to give her a credible interesting threat, but now we throw Kamala into the mix?  I'll no doubt be seated in the theater on Preview night per usual, but as of now, it doesn't excite me the way other Marvel projects do.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:45 PM, ExNihilo said:

Every Marvel movie, I watch on Preview nights.  Every Marvel TV show, I watch at midnight.  This is the first show where I've actually forgotten it's even released until I see a post on Reddit or somewhere that makes me go "oh yeah, that came out the other day."  I think it's been mentioned before, but it's partially the fact that it's a character I'm completely unfamiliar with and have no attachment to.  Every other character is somehow connected to a book or story that I read as a kid.  So there was an excitement to see them brought to live action.  The other part is that the show appears to be catered to a younger audience.  I'm really not sure where the plot is going and it's taking way too long to get there with (to this point) rather meaningless scenes.  The cousins, the aunts, the dinner party sequence.  I imagine these are cultural references that are just going over my head, but they're all taking time away from expanding on the core character/story.  To be fair, FatWS, Hawkeye, and some others also suffered from writing that sort of meandered at times.  I see the praise for the show, but I just don't get it.  With a lot of shows I wonder, "how many episodes are left?  I need more."  With Ms. Marvel, I wonder "how many more episodes do I have to sit through?"  Because at this point, it feels like more of an obligation just so I'm up to date on everything MCU related.

Needless to say, I'm growing increasingly concerned about "The Marvels".  I already dislike how Carol was written because she's far too powerful which makes it difficult to give her a credible interesting threat, but now we throw Kamala into the mix?  I'll no doubt be seated in the theater on Preview night per usual, but as of now, it doesn't excite me the way other Marvel projects do.

Remember, they already have determined that Carol could not carry a second movie on her own, thus the Marvels. So they way they have chosen to bolster the film is by adding Kamala and Monica.  While, I have nothing specific against either characters, and in fact think they have there place and their story to tell, but so far what do they bring to the table that is going to help this film?  A solo show that is ,from a viewer number standpoint, underperforming, and a character that was from the far weaker B plot of a moderately received show.

I admire the colors, lighting, & photography. The E4 Pakistan adventure looked great. The show continues to work for me, if only because of its stylishness.   

I'm way behind but I found ep. 2 very slow. I'm really tired of a shadowy possible government agencies as the main antagonist. 

Some poor writing bothers me too.

Ep. 1, Kamila asks to go to Avengers Con, mother "A party??? Absolutely not" She goes anyways and gets caught. 

Ep. 2, Kamila asks to go to a literal party, mother "Sure, have fun". 

From the comments here not sure if I'll continue watching.

Finished Episode 6.

Cute. But not a character I can appreciate. And the way they land on the 'Ms. Marvel' reference, it may as well have just been printed on her birth certificate.

The surprise credit scene was no surprise. They have to plug The Marvel's.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:51 PM, Juno Beach said:

I'm way behind but I found ep. 2 very slow. I'm really tired of a shadowy possible government agencies as the main antagonist. 

Some poor writing bothers me too.

Ep. 1, Kamila asks to go to Avengers Con, mother "A party??? Absolutely not" She goes anyways and gets caught. 

Ep. 2, Kamila asks to go to a literal party, mother "Sure, have fun". 

From the comments here not sure if I'll continue watching.

I recall she didn't explicitly ask to go to a party the second time - she told her mother it was her friend who was just having a couple people over to her house that evening (never implied it was a party and let her mom assume it was just the few of them including Bruno)

Edited by Sauce Dog

One of the better Marvel series so far (leaps and bounds better than Moon Knight and overall a more fun watch than Wandavision or Loki, which just felt like the required reading one has to do before a new book in a popular series comes out), I liked the final episode though the wrap up to get Damage Control out of there was predictable - but I very much appreciated it wasn't another one-on-one fight with a villain (the few interactions with Kamran wasn't really anything and just about getting him back into emotional control, so I'm happy they didn't make him outright the big bad at the end) 

I was fine with the origin of her name (and loved the origin of her costume considering she is a kid - very refreshing to have people supporting someone and know their 'secret'), as the only reason she gravitated to Marvel was because of her hero - had they been named Captain Wonder or any of the other dozens of dozens translations of the word she would have jumped on anything close sounding to her favourite hero/idol (literally maybe the most realistic name origin story ever for a teenager)

On 7/13/2022 at 11:44 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I recall she didn't explicitly ask to go to a party the second time - she told her mother it was her friend who was just having a couple people over to her house that evening (never implied it was a party and let her mom assume it was just the few of them including Bruno)

I'm certainly not rewatching it but I remember she said party. But "couple of people over to her house" couldn't be a party, I guess, but a convention is?

the finale really did stick the landing. i'll admit it was kinda slow for most of the episodes, but the stylishness, actor's genuine charisma and humor was all a pleasant surprise. i don't have any attachment to these new Phase 4 heroes like America Chavez or Kamala, but this was far far better than America. You can tell the actress loves the source material and she's just a better actress, period. 

And for a show that didn't even have a real villain or threat, it was pretty interesting to watch. B+

I stopped watching (more of paused watching) after the first two episodes.  So I'm happy to hear these modestly positive reviews.  Might have to binge the rest this weekend.

***YouTube kinda spoiled some reveals/revelations from the last episode