• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

After a heroic Thursday debut, "Spider-Man: No Way Home" is on pace to become the highest-grossing box office opener of the pandemic era by far.

Why it matters: The film's blockbuster success shows that moviegoers are willing to dismiss COVID concerns for the right film.

"To see $50 million from a Thursday preview while we're still in the pandemic era shows that the appeal of this movie outweighed any other considerations," said Comscore senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian.

Details: AMC on Friday said the film broke its box office records on Thursday night, making it "the single highest-grossing movie title on its opening night in AMC’s history," in December and the second highest-grossing movie title on its opening night of all time, behind 2019's "Avengers: Endgame."

"Already in 24 hours it's become a cultural phenomenon," Dergarabedian said. "The appeal of the movie is number one and this movie delivers."

:applause:

On 12/16/2021 at 6:14 PM, MV said:

As more people see it do we open a thread where spoilers are allowed?

As always it's more reasonable to just not go into a movie thread for a movie you haven't seen after it's released if you don't want to be spoilers.  I'll be posting freely without spoiler tags myself.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:05 PM, WeR138 said:

Easily the best Marvel anything I have seen this year.

9/10.

Yep, best MCU film since Endgame and Far From Home.  I've still only seen FFH once in the theater so I can't recall which of the two is better.  Meant to re-watch it last night, but Amazon delivered my disc a day late, so I'll probably re-watch FFH tonight.

On 12/17/2021 at 4:21 PM, fantastic_four said:

As always it's more reasonable to just not go into a movie thread for a movie you haven't seen after it's released if you don't want to be spoilers.  I'll be posting freely without spoiler tags myself.

assumed_king.gif.ed107cafc204fab3981b42bd8e3a9370.gif

:baiting:

On 12/17/2021 at 6:45 PM, chrisco37 said:

Enjoyed the movie quite a bit.  So much better than Eternals or Shang-Chi.  Cleverly done.  Some surprising moments.  Good amount of people in the theater cheering & clapping.  A worthy end to the “Home” trilogy.  

Not really fair to compare the Super Bowl of Spider-Man movies (who is also the most popular superhero on the planet) to first timer super-hero MCU films. I think we can enjoy Spider-Man without taking shots at Shang Chi. After all, the two films have comparable Rotten Tomatoes scores and we all know Rotten Tomatoes scores are the final judge of what's worthy or not in life.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

After all, the two films have comparable Rotten Tomatoes scores and we all know Rotten Tomatoes scores are the final judge of what's worthy or not in life.

This is true.

Even though I think you people are weird for not enjoying Eternals, you know that movie that is the gateway movie for Galactus and the Silver Surfer! :baiting:

Spider-Man No Way Home.  :banana:   9.9 out of 10! 

Haven't been this happy since Endgame!  You know a movie is good when people are clapping and making happy noises during the movie!

Counting down the minutes till I get to see it again, but this time in Real IMAX on Sunday! 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, fantastic_four said:

Yep, best MCU film since Endgame and Far From Home.  I've still only seen FFH once in the theater so I can't recall which of the two is better.  Meant to re-watch it last night, but Amazon delivered my disc a day late, so I'll probably re-watch FFH tonight.

My favorite MCU movies are Avengers IW, Endgame and now NWH. Nicely wraps up everything, nice spoilers, and it sets up the next wave of Spidey movies. A+

On 12/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Not really fair to compare the Super Bowl of Spider-Man movies (who is also the most popular superhero on the planet) to first timer super-hero MCU films. I think we can enjoy Spider-Man without taking shots at Shang Chi. After all, the two films have comparable Rotten Tomatoes scores and we all know Rotten Tomatoes scores are the final judge of what's worthy or not in life.

Some would say it is a fair comparison when Shang-Chi and Eternals were the 25th and 26th films in a massively popular franchise. Along with Shang-Chi following up on a character introduced in Iron Man 3 that then led to two with the fake and real Mandarin based on the also wildly popular Marvel One-Shot 'ALL HAIL THE KING'.

MCU26.png.506dc36ded52a40b37f6cf39b257f24a.png

Otherwise then we could say Shang-Chi and Eternals were something brand new, with no connection to anything beforehand.