• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2021 at 7:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

Some would say it is a fair comparison when Shang-Chi and Eternals were the 25th and 26th films in a massively popular franchise. Along with Shang-Chi following up on a character introduced in Iron Man 3 that then led to two with the fake and real Mandarin based on the also wildly popular Marvel One-Shot 'ALL HAIL THE KING'.

MCU26.png.506dc36ded52a40b37f6cf39b257f24a.png

Otherwise then we could say Shang-Chi and Eternals were something brand new, with no connection to anything beforehand.

They are all comic book movies, so there’s the comparison.  SC and Eternals both sucked.  Spider-Man was great.  

On 12/18/2021 at 11:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

What is even more stunning is if Omecron is holing back the numbers.  Sony announce some markets have held the release due to rising numbers.  Going to have stellar numbers regardless.

Edited by drotto

On 12/18/2021 at 11:50 AM, drotto said:

What is even more stunning is if Omecron is holi[d]ng back the numbers.  Sony announce some markets have held the release due to rising numbers.  Going to have stellar numbers regardless.

Domestic! Incredible.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

Domestic! Incredible.

But, Shang-Chi saved the theater business!!!!! 

To me NWH is proving just how much more popular the older characters are an will likely always be, considering we have 20 years worth of Spider-Man films at this point.  It also proves these characters can be recast and be fully embraced.  The character is more important then the actor is many cases (good casting still helps). I think the performance here bodes well for movies like Love and Thunder, Gardians 3, and Dr Stange 2.  Comparing this to SC and Eternals performance, it is likely the older characters will continue to outperform newer characters. Not saying they do not have their place, and can not be built up, but they will never be able to replace the originals. 

On 12/18/2021 at 12:35 PM, drotto said:

But, Shang-Chi saved the theater business!!!!! 

To me NWH is proving just how much more popular the older characters are an will likely always be, considering we have 20 years worth of Spider-Man films at this point.  It also proves these characters can be recast and be fully embraced.  The character is more important then the actor is many cases (good casting still helps). I think the performance here bodes well for movies like Love and Thunder, Gardians 3, and Dr Stange 2.  Comparing this to SC and Eternals performance, it is likely the older characters will continue to outperform newer characters. Not saying they do not have their place, and can not be built up, but they will never be able to replace the originals. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

Going to earn more money in 1 weekend, then Shang-Chi made in it's entire run.  The only thing holding this movie back is will the pandemic affect repeat viewings, and how many people are waiting because of Covid fears (I am sure there are some, even though these numbers say otherwise).

I wonder how much pent up demand for a big tenpole at the theater experience is driving this movie?  I will be seeing it tomorrow, so can not comment personally. I have heard there is a ton of nostalgia, and fan service (in a good way) in this film.  A real example of of movie giving audiences what they want, not what a writer or executive thinks they need.

Edited by drotto

Speaking with The New York Times, Amy Pascal was asked why she thought it was the case that every Spider-Man actor has dated their co-lead. Although she was not involved with the franchise when Tobey Maguire was dating Kirsten Dunst, she has been present for both Tom Holland & Zendaya and Andrew Garfield & Emma Stone's budding romances. She doesn't know why this keeps happening, but she did advise all her stars to avoid dating because "it can just complicate things," but they "all ignored [her]." Read the full quote below:

"I took Tom and Zendaya aside, separately, when we first cast them and gave them a lecture. Don’t go there — just don’t. Try not to. I gave the same advice to Andrew and Emma. It can just complicate things, you know? And they all ignored me."

On 12/18/2021 at 11:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

Talk about the power of many years of characters coming together to spark nostalgia

I think I still need to digest what we just walked out of before I can comment fully.  Other than the wife and I both exhaustedly agreeing that we can’t wait to see it again 😄
But I did want to comment on nostalgia… I honestly think, and this was confirmed from the genuine reactions in this sold out (with one seat between parties, albeit) theatre to the first appearance of certain returnees (it was like all the air was sucked out of the place ..that was the sound!) that a substantial percentage of this opening weekend crowd will be shocked by said revelations. 
I assume the marketing will change as the word gets out in week 2, and THAT might actually really draw some fence sitters to the theater based on nostalgia.  So while I kind of agree with you, I think that the real nostalgia impact may be still to come!

On 12/18/2021 at 4:13 PM, fmaz said:

I think I still need to digest what we just walked out of before I can comment fully.  Other than the wife and I both exhaustedly agreeing that we can’t wait to see it again 😄
But I did want to comment on nostalgia… I honestly think, and this was confirmed from the genuine reactions in this sold out (with one seat between parties, albeit) theatre to the first appearance of certain returnees (it was like all the air was sucked out of the place ..that was the sound!) that a substantial percentage of this opening weekend crowd will be shocked by said revelations. 
I assume the marketing will change as the word gets out in week 2, and THAT might actually really draw some fence sitters to the theater based on nostalgia.  So while I kind of agree with you, I think that the real nostalgia impact may be still to come!

• Willem Dafoe
  • Alfred Molina
  • Jamie Foxx

All were clearly in the movie from the first two Spider-Man franchises. Then with the steady rumors of other actors involved - along with Charlie Cox - leading to folks wanting to see for themselves if all this was true.

What did I miss with nostalgia influences there?

On 12/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, drotto said:

This movie proves the MCU still needs the legacy characters. Eternals and Shang-Chi prove the core die hard MCU fans can garnetee about $400 million in box office.  If they want to hit those $1 billion type numbers, they need a broader audience.  That broader audience wants Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man, Captian America, etc. Disney may regret some of the decisions to move away from those characters.

Okay, so first of all, why didn't Black Widow, a MCU legacy character, make what No Way Home is about to make? Captain Marvel and the Guardians of the Galaxy have done just fine pre-pandemic at the box office.

Second, Marvel Studios absolutely has not gone away from its "legacy characters" (whatever that means) and only went away from the two big guys, Stark and Rogers, because the actors wanted to bow out of the MCU. Marvel has only gone away from T-Challa (if you count him as a legacy character) because the actor died. The MCU still has Peter Parker, Thor, Dr Strange, Scarlet Witch, and Vision for the folks who hate change and Captain Marvel.

Third, Spider-Man No Way Home is absolutely an outlier in a way because it's an Avengers Endgame type level event, a movie that comes with so much speculation, hype, and expectation, that probably every person on the planet is going to see this movie. Also it's Spider-Man. If we weren't in a pandemic, NWH is probably a 2 billion dollar money maker. If the expectation going into this third movie was that it's just another solo Spider-Man adventure featuring a new solo villain like Scorpion or somebody, the hype and expectation would be far far less for this film. But as it is, the expectation is that this is going to be a freaking Spider-Verse movie with very special guest stars, thus we probably have the first billion dollar movie of the pandemic. However, I hear that NWH is not getting a China release, either, so we shall see.

Fourth, Thor, Iron Man, and Cap, as popular as they've become due to the MCU, still pale in comparison popularity-wise to Spider-Man. All Marvel heroes pale in popularity to Spidey. As I noted above, comparing the pandemic box office performance of the previously unknown Shang-Chi and Eternals to the Super Bowl of Spider-Man movies is a bit unfair. And as we've argued before, Shang Chi was made in part for the China market and got shut out of China so there went like 30% of its box office potential.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, drotto said:

This movie proves the MCU still needs the legacy characters. Eternals and Shang-Chi prove the core die hard MCU fans can garnetee about $400 million in box office.  If they want to hit those $1 billion type numbers, they need a broader audience.  That broader audience wants Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man, Captian America, etc. Disney may regret some of the decisions to move away from those characters.

And fifth, I don't really care which movie makes the most money and which movie has the bigger set of gonads or whatever. And fans who want quality storytelling shouldn't either. For me, I don't want to see the same thing over and over again to the point of spinning wheels. Exploring growth and new heroes in this expanding universe should be the direction, not making nothing but Thor and Iron Man and Spiderman movies over and over and over again.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 12/18/2021 at 5:14 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Third, Spider-Man No Way Home is absolutely an outlier in a way because it's an Avengers Endgame type level event, a movie that comes with so much speculation, hype, and expectation, that probably every person on the planet is going to see this movie. Also it's Spider-Man. If we weren't in a pandemic, NWH is probably a 2 billion dollar money maker. If the expectation going into this third movie was that it's just another solo Spider-Man adventure featuring a new solo villain like Scorpion or somebody, the hype and expectation would be far far less for this film. But as it is, the expectation is that this is going to be a freaking Spider-Verse movie with very special guest stars, thus we probably have the first billion dollar movie of the pandemic. However, I hear that NWH is not getting a China release, either, so we shall see.

Thank you! Someone finally recognizes how critical Peter Parker/Spider-Man is to the MCU. Will you tell this fine individual?

On 4/12/2021 at 10:45 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

But the MCU became a global juggernaut with only a little help from Spider-Man in two movies, Civil War and Infinity War. Every other MCU film or Disney+ show has been a hit without Spidey's help. The MCU doesn't need him. As long as Marvel Studios keeps putting out compelling fun stories and colorful characters, they'll do just fine.

hm

Wait a minute...

:shiftyeyes: