• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

Spider-Man: No Way Home effortlessly combines high-stakes, incredible action sequences, and a darker, emotional core to become the best movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The following review is spoiler-free.

Tom Holland’s performance in Spider-Man: No Way Home is his best yet. Gone are the days of Peter Parker in the shadow of Tony Stark and in comes a three-dimensional character who feels more like the classic Spider-Man than ever before. Holland plays Spider-Man so much more effortlessly in this film, allowing him to dig deeper into the character’s psychology.

Amen!

Spider-Man: No Way Home brings forth the most ambitious lineup of villains the franchise has seen thus far; all of them. From Spider-Man’s Green Goblin to Amazing Spider-Man 2‘s Electro, Peter Parker is up against foes from a past he does not know, but the audience does well. This creates a constant who’s who of characters on screen, which will definitely excite audiences. Director Jon Watts, returning for his third Spider-Man film, effortless blends each character into the MCU, without losing the villain character traits and core that made them special in their individual films. Even Mysterio, the villain who exposed Spider-Man’s secret to the world in Far From Home continues to reverberate in this entry, which makes the previous film hold significant weight.

Villains have been an off-again, on-again MCU challenge

Spider-Man: No Way Home is a love letter to the character and his rich theatrical history. The writing is richer, the themes are darker, the stakes are higher, and the cast delivers their best work in the franchise thus far. Simply put, Spider-Man: No Way Home is the best film in the MCU.

★★★★★ – 5/5

Wow...SO much gushing praise.  :whatthe:

The contrast in quality between the Disney Plus shows and the films is just SO stark.  There is an idea in Hollywood over the past five years or so that television series have risen dramatically in quality to the point where they're just as good or in some cases better than any films released the same year.  But that's DEFINITELY not the case for Marvel's content...they're clearly producing their finest work as films.

I enjoy the Disney Plus shows, but they're just fine and nowhere close to the epic level some of the films get to.  You could skip them and you're not missing much, and none are all that re-watchable.  But many of the films are can't miss and HIGHLY re-watchable, although certainly not all of them.

Edited by fantastic_four

I will go in expecting a 4/5, and hope to be impressed.

I really loved both Homecoming and Far From Home. The stories and VFX were top-notch. The twist of her dad being Vulture in Homecoming, and taking down the drones on the bridge to get to Mysterio, are my highlights from the prior 2 movies. They really nailed casting and direction for both villains, too.

If you click the Rotten Tomatoes score you can see the average rating that's more equivalent to the Metacritic average.  Usually the two sites have about the same average score, but right now RT is 8.1 out of 10 and Metacritic is 71 out of 100 which translates to 7.1 out of 10, so the RT critics so far are giving higher praise than the Metacritic ones.  Those should get closer and closer as more scores come in since the highest RT ratings usually come in first.  I'm not sure if Metacritic scores come in like that or not.

Rotten Tomatoes used to just show the average rating by default right underneath of the Tomatometer score, but now it's hidden and you have to click it to see it.  I wish they hadn't done that, but I assume it's because people found two scores confusing and if you know the difference then clicking to see it isn't as big a deal as the two-score confusion is for most people.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 12/14/2021 at 4:38 AM, Larryw7 said:

Reading the reviews, it seems obvious that the critics saw the whole movie, not just 40 minutes. The reviews are positive, but they all point out flaws. The main one seems to be the pacing. They also talked.about"fan service", so that's actually probably a plus for us. I can't wait to see it.

Fan service has become code word from critics that it contains things to appeal to the "man baby" fans that like to nitpick or even outright review bomb films from their viewpoint.  They do not want it there at all for this reason.  Normal people on the other hand like fan service as long as it does not push a film into fan fiction territory. 

Can't wait to see who the first critic will be to go all Armond White on this movie with a negative review.  Always fun to see a critic get roasted alive by social media for a few days.  :popcorn:

Just a side bar...

I don't like the rating system of 5 stars.  If you give a movie 4/5 stars its 80% and 5/5 stars then its 100%.  That's a big difference in perception!!!  The counter argument is then what about 4.5/5 (incorporating 1/2 stars).  If you're gonna do that then just go with 100 point rating!!!

Everything should be on the 100 point rating system:sumo:

***That is all...can't wait to see this movie

On 12/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Just a side bar...

I don't like the rating system of 5 stars.  If you give a movie 4/5 stars its 80% and 5/5 stars then its 100%.  That's a big difference in perception!!!  The counter argument is then what about 4.5/5 (incorporating 1/2 stars).  If you're gonna do that then just go with 100 point rating!!!

Everything should be on the 100 point rating system:sumo:

***That is all...can't wait to see this movie

:preach:

:baiting:

But even the RT scale of a production being other ROTTEN or FRESH with nothing in-between is off. At least with Metacritic it has NEUTRAL as a middle ground.