• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2022 at 12:11 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The MCU is definitely full of plot conveniences. He has us there. Like Captain Marvel being neutered by a microchip.

Sure, the Kree "microchip" with its advanced alien tech dampened Carol's powers somewhat and enabled the Kree to physically control her at times, it actually worked more as a mind inhibitor preventing her from mentally accessing her inner power. That was part of the whole amnesia Kree brainwashing thing. The chip was a visual cinematic representation of the Kree's physical and MENTAL power over her. When Carol gets a little memory help from her friends like Maria and Talos and is able to free her mind from the Kree brainwashing, this is represented visually when she removes the inhibitor chip. Free the mind, the body will follow.

Any more Captain Marvel questions? I'll be here all day. Except after 3 pm when I go to a matinee show of No Way Home.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:11 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The MCU is definitely full of plot conveniences. He has us there. Like Captain Marvel being neutered by a microchip.

My favorite plot convenience is the woman with no emotions is held back by her emotions refrain during CM.  Her emotional development and expression went from plank of wood to sheet of plywood. Granted that may be more Bree's acting in this film.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:17 PM, drotto said:

My favorite plot convenience is the woman with no emotions is held back by her emotions refrain during CM.  Her emotional development and expression went from plank of wood to sheet of plywood. Granted that may be more Bree's acting in this film.

I'm sure there's some excuse for that. You'll suffer his wrath soon enough.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Spidey trapping Dr Strange in his own mirror dimension with a couple of webs is absolutely a plot convenience. We've seen Dr Strange do nearly the impossible in both Infinity War and Endgame and he has trouble with Peter's glorified fishing string in Strange's home turf? As I said, I didn't have a problem with it. I just checked the "okay" box as the MCU is full of these easy plot conveniences that move the story along to get to the stuff we really want to see, in this case, seeing Tobey Andrew and Tom swinging above NYC like some red black and blue Macy's Day sausage parade.

Trapping Dr Strange was not a plot convenience as it was set up in the script-he wasnt himself-he was no longer the sorcerer supreme-he was way off his game.  I guess you missed it.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I agree that No Way Home was an awesome movie experience. But just because it was a great time at the movies doesn't mean folks have to use it as a way to beat down the smaller MCU movies and the heroes in them that are just getting started in the MCU.

Peter Parker's story is maybe the most dramatic story in Marvel Comics. That's one reason why Spider-Man has been so popular over the ages. The movies should reflect that and I think No Way Home did.

But again to use that success as a way to beat down other heroes trying to get a leg in the MCU is kinda dubious IMO. Over Christmas, I sent a $100 movie gift card to a relative and told the relative this gift is to take the family and go see Spider-Man. They did. The relative and family loved it. However, that same relative who sees life a little on the right proceeded to talk about how they loved the movie on Facebook and posted a dubious news article stating how No Way Home's big weekend in comparison to a movie like Eternals is proof that audiences don't want diversity or something like that. It made me kind of regret giving that gift to the relative.

I don't think Shang-Chi's third act needed explaining. A lot of people enjoyed Shang-Chi and count it among their favorite MCU films. I just explained it to you because you said the third act was disconnected from the rest of the movie. 

I also thought Shang-Chi had soul. Sure, it wasn't as tear jerkery as No Way Home, but what Marvel movie is as tearjerkery as Peter Parker's most tragic moments? I thought when Wenwu passes the Ten Rings to his son Shang-Chi, that it was a real poignant family moment. Past MCU movies that dealt with bad dads just kept the dad bad with no redeeming moment with the hero child ie GOTG2 or Avengers Endgame. Shang and Katy's best friend relationship also rang true to me.

Sadly, dopes like that are here to stay.  Anyone with half a brain would realize there is no correlation to that.  Only people that are fearful/hateful to begin with would come up with that narrative.  The opposite of that is just a ridiculous; that these movies aren't the MCU darlings must mean that people aren't accepting of diversity. 

On 1/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, chrisco37 said:

Sadly, dopes like that are here to stay.  Anyone with half a brain would realize there is no correlation to that.  Only people that are fearful/hateful to begin with would come up with that narrative.  The opposite of that is just a ridiculous; that these movies aren't the MCU darlings must mean that people aren't accepting of diversity. 

There are movies with diverse cast up yin yang that are great.  Because the script is great and the cast wasnt placed there for ulterior reasons.  Shaft with sam jackson is great and it is very diverse.  The 'well people dont like eternals cause they dont like diversity' argument is a non starter.  They dont like eternals because the script was boring and insulting.  Conversely, LIKING eternals, and saying it is 'true cinema' and the best thing ever, just BECAUSE the cast is diverse, is ridiculous.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:49 PM, kav said:

Pretty much.  If your only argument for why you think a film is good that many seem to despise is 'well you must be a racist then', then you essentially have no argument.

It's a weaksauce approach that also runs the risk of damaging someone's image on this site all over the dislike of a movie or actor performance.

That's ugly!

On 1/11/2022 at 3:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

It's a weaksauce approach that also runs the risk of damaging someone's image on this site all over the dislike of a movie or actor performance.

That's ugly!

I'm not sure anyone here would take his opinion with that much weight. But it is as you say he is playing with fire.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:54 PM, Finhead said:

I'm not sure anyone here would take his opinion with that much weight. But it is as you say he is playing with fire.

We can write it off as someone using the same toxic argument and everyone will know it is more of the same. But when the same individual keeps bringing it up you run the risk of some not being aware enough to distinguish toxic debate tactics versus reality.

All for the sake of fanatical support of a comic book franchise.

On 1/11/2022 at 5:54 PM, Finhead said:

Everyone who frequents this sub-forum seems to be on the same page when it comes to 'debate'. I know which of you ladies/gentlemen choose to present fair opinions and which people only enjoy agenda-driven elements.

For all of the vapid BS that Silver posts, I have still agreed with what he has said at times. That just happens to occur extremely rarely.

That year, the Oscars ceremony went ahead without a host and has remained hostless since.

Now, however, according to THR, the Academy are on the hunt for a host for the 2022 ceremony, and in-demand British actor Holland is in the running. In an article confirming that the upcoming ceremony would have a host, THR reports that the Academy did "reach out to [Holland] to explore that possibility" after the 25-year-old British actor expressed interest in one day hosting the Oscars. It's currently unclear when Holland was contacted by the Academy and whether discussions were positive.