• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

I hate attributing great developments to one person (and it would be unfair to do that). But when Feige said a few years back if Sony allowed Marvel Studios to produce the next film they had a dedicated Peter Parker story, he was not kidding. But he has also noted Amy Pascal's team and Marvel Studios helped pull this together.

This is a very unique film when you can marry all that years of content into one film. And still reinforce it is associated with the MCU by using Tom Holland's Peter Parker along with Doctor Strange. A truly incredible accomplishment when you reflect on all that went into making this a massive success. It was not just Marvel Studios by itself. Even the lead actors contributed to the story direction with Willem Dafoe, Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire having a say on their characters and contributions.

:applause: 

Edited by Bosco685

On 1/10/2022 at 12:18 PM, chrisco37 said:

Are you trying to say the movie is so successful because it's actually a good movie, with an interesting story and characters?   

actually the MCU mandate from Feige was: go out and spend $1 billion to produce and promote 3 movies that no asked for/cares about so when S-M:NWH buries them I can say "that was the plan all along."

On 1/10/2022 at 12:23 PM, paperheart said:

actually the MCU mandate from Feige was: go out and spend $1 billion to produce and promote 3 movies that no asked for/cares about so when S-M:NWH buries them I can say "that was the plan all along."

247990028_2025506094289790_865092133039554570_n.jpg

On 1/10/2022 at 12:18 PM, chrisco37 said:

Are you trying to say the movie is so successful because it's actually a good movie, with an interesting story and characters?   

Even tho I hate BW because it was 50% family bickering-and if anyone's ever been around a bickering family you just want to leave-and Eternals cause it was a cause in search of a movie, I hate shang chi the most.  Turning a superhero film into a hyuk comedy routine, while still trying to play 'dramatic' just really really annoys me.  
Yes Ant Man had a lot of comedy-but it was totally different than shang chi and properly placed. Didnt get in the way of the drama.   Its like seinfeld vs the 3 stooges.

Edited by kav

On 1/10/2022 at 2:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

'nobody cares about Spider-Man nowadays!'

Spider_Verse_BO220110.thumb.PNG.e8c4f14c416d80a54f9213f471a82797.PNG

I'm worried for Sony and this partnership going forward.

worried.gif.fc76cb60092c8852841ac9bcc97bba21.gif

keep in mind those are 2002 dollars and what not (I think-maybe they adjusted).

On 1/10/2022 at 2:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

'nobody cares about Spider-Man nowadays!'

Spider_Verse_BO220110.thumb.PNG.e8c4f14c416d80a54f9213f471a82797.PNG

I'm worried for Sony and this partnership going forward.

worried.gif.fc76cb60092c8852841ac9bcc97bba21.gif

Can you explain how those figures fit in with this info from wikipedia and also what's an R ratio:
To determine if a movie made a profit, it is not correct to directly compare the box office gross with the production budget, because the movie theater keeps nearly half of the gross on average. The split varies from movie to movie, and the percentage for the distributor is generally higher in early weeks. Usually the distributor gets a percentage of the revenue after first deducting a "house allowance" or "house nut". It is also common that the distributor gets either a percentage of the gross revenue, or a higher percentage of the revenue after deducting the nut, whichever is larger.  The distributor's share of the box office gross is often referred to as the "distributor rentals", especially for box office reporting of older films.

On 1/10/2022 at 6:47 PM, kav said:

Can you explain how those figures fit in with this info from wikipedia and also what's an R ratio:
To determine if a movie made a profit, it is not correct to directly compare the box office gross with the production budget, because the movie theater keeps nearly half of the gross on average. The split varies from movie to movie, and the percentage for the distributor is generally higher in early weeks. Usually the distributor gets a percentage of the revenue after first deducting a "house allowance" or "house nut". It is also common that the distributor gets either a percentage of the gross revenue, or a higher percentage of the revenue after deducting the nut, whichever is larger.  The distributor's share of the box office gross is often referred to as the "distributor rentals", especially for box office reporting of older films.

Revenue Ratio: Sales/Production Budget

Anyone guessing at Profit has to factor in some guesswork which may or may not be accurate. Including assuming any special agreements with creators and talent on backend residuals and other balance sheet debits. Even with Deadline the guy that runs that always under-estimates Disney expenses and especially if it is a Star Wars or Marvel Studios film. Including noting that Star Wars: The Last Jedi only cost $200M to make.

No. 1 ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Reality:

SW_The_Last_Jedi.PNG.6045e2a1b4b1a934da00cf9a535bf8a4.PNG

He's just a smidge off. Just a smidge.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:54 PM, Bosco685 said:

Revenue Ratio: Sales/Production Budget

Anyone guessing at Profit has to factor in some guesswork which may or may not be accurate. Including assuming any special agreements with creators and talent on backend residuals and other balance sheet debits. Even with Deadline the guy that runs that always under-estimates Disney expenses and especially if it is a Star Wars or Marvel Studios film. Including noting that Star Wars: The Last Jedi only cost $200M to make.

No. 1 ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Reality:

SW_The_Last_Jedi.PNG.6045e2a1b4b1a934da00cf9a535bf8a4.PNG

He's just a smidge off. Just a smidge.

cant believe last jedi even made 10 bucks.  wut a stinker.

On 1/10/2022 at 6:57 PM, kav said:

But I stay away from trying to guesstimate profit. Some balance sheet categories are not easy to lock down. Others like tax incentives I am sure can be found in government reporting if not the studio noting this in its own 10-K/10-Q reporting.

• Product placement revenue
  • Real 'paid' salaries versus what gets reported out for future film negotiations (articles have been published on this practice)
  • Merchandising associated with a film
  • Home theater profits worldwide (only domestic reporting cleanly covers this category)
  • Digital sales (a very closely guarded secret consolidating iTunes, VUDU, Google Play, Movies Anywhere results)

On 1/10/2022 at 4:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

But I stay away from trying to guesstimate profit. Some balance sheet categories are not easy to lock down. Others like tax incentives I am sure can be found in government reporting if not the studio noting this in its own 10-K/10-Q reporting.

• Product placement revenue
  • Real 'paid' salaries versus what gets reported out for future film negotiations (articles have been published on this practice)
  • Merchandising associated with a film
  • Home theater profits worldwide (only domestic reporting cleanly covers this category)
  • Digital sales (a very closely guarded secret consolidating iTunes, VUDU, Google Play, Movies Anywhere results)

Pretty sure very few people know exactly how much any movie actually made.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, kav said:

Pretty sure very few people know exactly how much any movie actually made.

On 12/30/2015 at 5:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

Hollywood Accounting: Isn't it as easy as reading a studio's prospectus to figure out profits?

How Hollywood Accounting Can Make a $450 Million Movie 'Unprofitable'

Hollywood Accounting: How A $19 Million Movie Makes $150 Million... And Still Isn't Profitable

NPR: We See Angelina's Bottom Line

These are articles about how studios play with their individual movie balance sheets to claim expenses, actors claim salaries not received for negotiation power later on with other movies, or doing all they can to avoid paying royalties.

Fun times!

On 1/10/2022 at 4:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

Jesus christ a movie that cost 10 bucks to make with volunteer actors that nets 1.5 billion HOLLYWOOD COULD FIGGER OUT HOW TO SHOW A LOSS!!!!!

On 1/10/2022 at 6:57 PM, kav said:

It's called hype. Everybody wanted to see the 1st full appearance of Luke Skywalker in nearly 40 years. Spider-Man No Way Home had the same kind of hype with the trailers featuring Goblin and Doc Ock confirming this would be a Spiderverse movie and the endless speculation and anticipation that their associated Spider-Mans would also appear. The difference is Last Jedi failed to follow through on the proper fan service that was expected (a Luke Skywalker as he should have been and following through on the story set up in Force Awakens) and Spider-Man No Way Home absolutely followed through on the fan service expectations because Kevin Feige was in charge.

Shang Chi was so routine. Everybody gathering together with weapons to take on a powerful adversary. Let's see: Black Panther, Infinity Wars and Endgame did the same thing. Not every movie needs to be LOTR. Enough already. I actually liked BW better until the nose breaking(who the hell came up with that one?). I haven't seen Inhumans and I doubt I ever will. I'm not into 3 hour fragrance infomercials.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, chrisco37 said:

NWH wasn't hyped up any more than any other Spidey movie.   It was going to be big because it's Spidey.  Not because there was an extra push and super-spoilers.  I had never even seen any of the Garfield movies prior.  I thought it was cool to bring in the other Spidey's.  It worked in the story. 

To say that SPider-Man No Way Home's billion dollar success and the fact that it would have easily been the highest grossing movie of all time if not for a pandemic and a China Marvel boycott is only because it's Spider-Man and has little to do with the fact that it's a SPiderverse movie that brings back beloved actors from previous Spider-Man franchises into the MCU is to ignore reality.

Homecoming never breached a billion. Far From Home only made 1.1 billion on the heels of Avengers Endgame. 

Again, to say that No Way Home's 1.3 billion and counting is not primarily because it brought back Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Willem Dafoe et al into the MCU is to ignore reality.

Edited by @therealsilvermane