• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Like Ms Marvel, we are not the target audience

that's been my observation based on some of the reviews I'm seeing

Yeah, I don't like :censored:, so I'm not the target audience for phase 4.

black-widow.gif.d59af26d5dab309a8f4ef24dfbdbe323.gif

On 8/16/2022 at 5:08 PM, drotto said:

So exactly who is the target audience?  Who does Disney think is the primary audience for superheroes as a whole?

Disney is not in the business of making "super heroe shows/movies" they are in the entertainment business

I'm sure like most publicly traded companies they review what demographics they are weak and target content to increase their share of the market

they know for males 18-54, that they've given us enough content with Star Wars blah blah blah

everyone keeps making the same mistake, these shows arent for any of us (comic readers), they are for the general public, or a targeted group in this case a core female audience

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 8/16/2022 at 6:11 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Disney is not in the business of making "super heroe shows/movies" they are in the entertainment business

I'm sure like most publicly traded companies they review what demographics they are weak and target content to increase their share of the market

they know for males 18-54, that they've given us enough content with Star Wars blah blah blah

everyone keeps making the same mistake, these shows are for any of us, they are for the general public, or a targeted group in this case a core female audience

But is this working, by getting away from what made the MCU so profitable.  The last show that many people were told you are just not the audience for on Disney + scored the lowest viewership ratings to date.  If that continues, it will be clear they are not capturing whatever audience they are targeting, and losing the audience they had.

Edited by drotto

On 8/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, drotto said:

But is this working, by getting away from what made the MCU so profitable.  The last show that many people were told you are just not the audience for on Disney + scored the lowest viewership ratings to date.  If that continues, it will be clear they are not capturing whatever audience they are targeting, and losing the audience they had.

I don't know if it is or not, just spelling out what many fail to see what their strategy is

I suspect a company like Disney won't give up that easily. They want that market, it's an untapped market. They will keep trying until they find the formula that works.

As far as losing the audience, I honestly think that was going to happen. It always happens. People move on to the next thing. Sure the quality/content has probably made it easier for some (see above) to move on faster, but it is bound to happen. There has been a saturation of content in the past 2-3 years. The novelty has worn off.

On 8/16/2022 at 6:19 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I don't know if it is or not, just spelling out what many fail to see what their strategy is

I suspect a company like Disney won't give up that easily. They want that market, it's an untapped market. They will keep trying until they find the formula that works.

As far as losing the audience, I honestly think that was going to happen. It always happens. People move on to the next thing. Sure the quality/content has probably made it easier for some (see above) to move on faster, but it is bound to happen. There has been a saturation of content in the past 2-3 years. The novelty has worn off.

I just think it is a bad strategy.  You expand you audience by keeping your core audience, and bringing more people into the fold.  This is not done by making something then saying it is not for you, or not for that group, many who are your most devoted and loyal fans. That is not a winning long term strategy. The MCU has already shown it has massive appeal, across many groups and demographics.  I think the flaw is already being that massive, they may have already exhausted the potential fan pool, so they are perusing perceived missed markets, which are in reality people that you are very unlikely to turn into lasting fans.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Counterpoint: The casual sex thing - and comedic sex between superheroes - was really well done in Jessica Jones (Season 1).

And it was faithful to the comic, too.

IIRC correctly, Alias # 1 caused a stir when it was first released because the opening pages featured her having just had casual sex with Luke Cage.

This was the first appearance of the character, and she was immediately tied to an existing Marvel superhero. 

Counter-counterpoint:

Alias #1 was part of Marvel's Max line of titles with explicit content warnings; Alias the TV series was one the Netflix shows with R-rated level content, so no surprise that they accurately portray elements of a Max title.

She-Hulk, I'm guessing, is aimed at more of what would termed "general audience"...many of whom might be turned off by the content of Alias-type content.

Counter-counter-counterpoint:

While I don't understand why these characters...or anyone for that matter...would want to take such a deep-dive on subject discussed in the clip, I don't think it really reaches the level of Alias Max/Netflix level content.  I think it, along with all the other sexualized content mentioned above, is an attempt at being Tony Stark funny and they don't really pull it off.  I'm not offended by it...but I'm not getting the chuckles out if that I'm supposed to either.

I have no idea how the 'intended audience' for this will react.

On 8/16/2022 at 5:27 PM, drotto said:

I just think it is a bad strategy.  You expand you audience by keeping your core audience, and bringing more people into the fold.  This is not done by making something then saying it is not for you, or not for that group, many who are your most devoted and loyal fans. That is not a winning long term strategy. The MCU has already shown it has massive appeal, across many groups and demographics.  I think the flaw is already being that massive, they may have already exhausted the potential fan pool, so they are perusing perceived missed markets, which are in reality people that you are very unlikely to turn into lasting fans.

I enjoyed Ms Marvel despite not being the target audience, honestly far more than the show that was targeted probably for me (Moon Knight). I think their strategy is making less "comic book" movies/shows and more general entertainment movies/shows with super heroes

It sucks because I genuinely like She-Hulk as a female version of an already-existing character, partly because she's not just a female version of Hulk. I really think that she deserved a movie treatment (not that the movies are all that good right now) because the TV shows certainly seem low-budget (other than Loki) and therefor very low-quality.

From the CNN review:

"Ironically, the most buzzed-about element in advance of the premiere -- how the computer-generated title character looks -- is the least of the show's worries."

'She-Hulk' is big and colorful, but the Marvel comedy is too weak to be a smash

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/17/entertainment/she-hulk-review/index.html