• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

504 posts in this topic

I find myself feeling in the middle on this show so far, I don't love it or hate it.  There are moments I really like, such as any scene with a dragon in it.  But others I can do without like any scene with a birth in it.  Episode six exemplified that (one birth) which I didn't really need to see and another attempted birth which I barely watched until it had a tragic ending (dragon).  So far I don't really like or dislike any of the characters.  I just hope this is the point where they really move on. Please no more time jumps.  And yeah, we get it, Rhaenyra's kids are not her husbands, do we really need it shoved down our throats for an entire episode?

That having been said, I do like the new actress playing Rhaenyra.  Also like Larys Strong, hoping he is as crafty and evil as the Lannisters.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:53 PM, s-man said:

I find myself feeling in the middle on this show so far, I don't love it or hate it.  There are moments I really like, such as any scene with a dragon in it.  But others I can do without like any scene with a birth in it.  Episode six exemplified that (one birth) which I didn't really need to see and another attempted birth which I barely watched until it had a tragic ending (dragon).  So far I don't really like or dislike any of the characters.  I just hope this is the point where they really move on. Please no more time jumps.  And yeah, we get it, Rhaenyra's kids are not her husbands, do we really need it shoved down our throats for an entire episode?

That having been said, I do like the new actress playing Rhaenyra.  Also like Larys Strong, hoping he is as crafty and evil as the Lannisters.

I think she is ok, but I quite liked Milly Alcock. Somehow she had charisma.

I do like the new Queen a lot though.

I did not know anything about the time jump in advance of watching ep06 so I admit the change of actresses and actors was a little jarring.

i'm sorry but the recasting is absolutely ridiculous and so random. what, sir cristin can look exactly the same however many years later, but the princess is a completely different person who bares no resemblance to the actress who played her last week/?

the queen looks slightly older. shes played as if she is actually a different person. its such a bonehead move. i'm really baffled and disappointed. milly alcock (is that her name?) was the core of the whole show. 

oh yeah, and they kept setting up that the king is near death for 4 episodes. guess he got lucky and is still around ten years later?! ugh. 

Edited by alexgross.com

Everything in this game of thrones world would drive Rhaenyra not just to seek an alliance with House Velaryon through marriage but absolutely seal the deal with comingled bloodlines.  To put forth a plot line otherwise is beyond beyond.  My wife and I looked at each other during the first scene with her dark haired kids and went wtf are you kidding me?  and not even any attempt to reason that out for us?  

If this is all a plot device to advance the idea that Rhaenyra is this incredibly impetuous, self centered, dangerously near sighted hothead who will not think ahead politically - then why go to the trouble of also painting her differently in other scenes.  Like the one last week where she maneuvers Otto out, or this week at the Small Council, or her decision to leave the Red Keep.

cmon man

On 9/27/2022 at 5:34 AM, fantastic_four said:

Ser Cristen was in his mid-twenties, so now he's in his mid-thirties.  Those two ages don't look all that different so I bought him looking the same.

ok so the princess was supposed to be what, 16? so now she'd be 26. milly alcock can certainly pass for that. she's 22 or 23 in real life. 

On 9/27/2022 at 6:49 AM, alexgross.com said:

ok so the princess was supposed to be what, 16? so now she'd be 26. milly alcock can certainly pass for that. she's 22 or 23 in real life. 

Agreed, often all it takes is a different hairstyle (looking at you, King Viserys) to make an actor appear older.

10 Facts You Didn't Know About Milly Alcock » HindiQueries

I am having a hard time getting excited to continue the show. They've got me for 5 hours, and in that time - I just don't find myself compelled. The time-jump episode seemed to be a train-wreck. Rings of Power isn't much better. I can't believe that these two shows, with the financial and creative backing have sucked me in for a total of 10 hours between the two and we've seen one lackluster beach battle and four children fighting with wooden swords. And RoP isn't much better. We got a half-hearted escape scene and some forboding music with Albert Bierdstadt-level scenery.

I don't require constant action or quick story development, but come on - people lambaste horror movies if you don't give them a kill in 20 minutes. I think I can expect some sort of sustained action in an action fantasy show within five hours.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:49 AM, alexgross.com said:
On 9/27/2022 at 8:34 AM, fantastic_four said:

Ser Cristen was in his mid-twenties, so now he's in his mid-thirties.  Those two ages don't look all that different so I bought him looking the same.

I tend to agree.  That was particularly important given how strikingly unique Milly Alcock's facial features are; I found getting used to the new Rhaenyra really distracting in this episode.  Alcock was also 21 when they filmed the show so they didn't have far to age her up, although she does look exceptionally young for her age so it may have been a challenge.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:18 AM, fantastic_four said:

I tend to agree.  That was particularly important given how strikingly unique Milly Alcock's facial features are; I found getting used to the new Rhaenyra really distracting in this episode.  Alcock was also 21 when they filmed the show so they didn't have far to age her up, although she does look exceptionally young for her age so it may have been a challenge.

They were successful in making her appear younger they could have easily made her appear mid 20's.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:44 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I am having a hard time getting excited to continue the show. They've got me for 5 hours, and in that time - I just don't find myself compelled. The time-jump episode seemed to be a train-wreck. Rings of Power isn't much better. I can't believe that these two shows, with the financial and creative backing have sucked me in for a total of 10 hours between the two and we've seen one lackluster beach battle and four children fighting with wooden swords. And RoP isn't much better. We got a half-hearted escape scene and some forboding music with Albert Bierdstadt-level scenery.

I don't require constant action or quick story development, but come on - people lambaste horror movies if you don't give them a kill in 20 minutes. I think I can expect some sort of sustained action in an action fantasy show within five hours.

Agree. 

This is getting tedious. Imagine where we were in the original GOT after 5 episodes - we were taken all throughout Westeros, from the Wall down to King's Landing and from the Eyrie to Essos and were thoroughly engaged in multiple family, character and plotlines. 

So where (literally) has this HoD show taken their characters or the audience? Pretty much nowhere, with rare exceptions, and no actual threats. 

This is venturing into soap opera, where it's just small personal dramas in a seemingly small world. 

Hoping for much bigger stories, plots and character interactions. 

Edited by jcjames

On 9/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, jcjames said:

Hoping for much bigger stories, plots and character interactions.

Hell, at this point, I'm hoping for more boobs, less beating-off scenes.

I suppose the stakes feel a bit raised now, but this is still just a family drama around succession, and not the sprawling epic GOT was. Too many characters are starting to feel like variations on GOT characters, the least interesting being Larys Strong who is Littlefinger without the subtlety or planning. Presumably his actions are meant to protect the Queen, which will increase his influence at court, but the extreme move against his own kin and destruction of the family castle seems more born of homicidal psychopathy than any coherent scheme. This really seems like a thinly explained but excitingly violent act, like Criston's killing of Joffrey, meant to engage the audience more than serve the story. Criston's bitterness and change of allegiance could have been easily understood without it. 

I'm with it until the end now, underdeveloped characters and all, but I can't say I'd recommend it. 

On 9/28/2022 at 12:54 PM, Boozad said:

I'd just be happy with less wanking.

Between GoT and Dahmer, I'm sensing that showing someone beating off is some sort of plot device in new tv shows. Either that, or I'm just watching the wrong shows.