• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MADAME WEB Spidey spin-off (TBD)
4 4

365 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2024 at 11:57 PM, Hawkman said:

Here's an idea. Don't post about movies and tv shows you haven't seen yet, and don't post about movies and tv shows you aren't going to watch. Way too many posters on this site just can't wait to post negative opinions about female led shows and movies. It's like clockwork.

I personally don't care who leads the show, but based on the trailers that have been shown I don't see why members of this forum can't post their opinions.

I do hope the show is amazing. 

Well, nothing I've seen since the initial previews has changed my opinion that this movie is going to bomb quite hard.  If you thought Morbius and Birds of Prey did poorly, just hold onto your hats.  

And I will be there for it! 

(possibly I'm a bit starved for movies at the present time....)

On 1/29/2024 at 2:18 PM, Axelrod said:

Well, nothing I've seen since the initial previews has changed my opinion that this movie is going to bomb quite hard.  If you thought Morbius and Birds of Prey did poorly, just hold onto your hats.  

And I will be there for it! 

(possibly I'm a bit starved for movies at the present time....)

It comes across as Sony Spider-Verse not really sharing a vision where this is all going. So it tamps down any general audience excitement when it just appears to be a bunch of films coming out that hint at some connection.

I wonder if the top executives planning all this are playing hardball with the potential Spider-Verse possibly Spider-Man candidate (either Tom Holland, Andy Garfield, or someone new), or they just assume audiences will hold out to one day see "the vision" where this is going.

At least the animated films are delivering.

Even hardcore Spidey fans are mostly like "Madame who?"  I'm pretty sure I read ASM #210 in the 1980s but I don't remember much about her.

Release date is February 14th.  I can't find the review embargo lift date, but I'm guessing Sony would love for it to be at some point after it has departed theaters.  :fear:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed watching Morbius. If Madame Web is as good as that, I'll be happy. Did anyone see Dakota Johnson on SNL over the weekend? Hubba-hubba.

On 1/30/2024 at 8:18 AM, Rodey said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed watching Morbius. If Madame Web is as good as that, I'll be happy. Did anyone see Dakota Johnson on SNL over the weekend? Hubba-hubba.

Same here. And they did try to connect the Spidey linkage by having the Spider-Man: No Way Home multiverse rift appear bringing Adrian Toomes/Vulture into his world for a team-up concerning Spider-Man. Though most probably due to Doctor Strange's spell he doesn't know it is Peter Parker. And there was more than one Venom hint/mention.

It's just that by eliminating any appearance of Spider-Man it stretches out those connections to the Spider-Verse leaving moviegoers lacking with satisfying their character expectations and forced franchise wants. Along with Sony not helping form that bond through marketing and conveying any vision.

Madame Web appears more driving toward that connection with Spidey-related suits, powers and villain modeling after Spider-Man. Yet now many have gotten into the mode of sport-hating these films now, just to see how far they can trash it. But again - Sony shares no vision to help brush this off as a misunderstood plan. They are following in WB Pictures' footsteps of just going with the flow without building up moviegoer comprehension of a direction (whether connected universe, dispersed or combination of the two).

If only Lord and Miller were running the entire Spider-Verse. They get it what drives butts in seats with a Spider-Man World.

On 1/30/2024 at 10:52 PM, kimik said:

I thought Morbius was fine, albeit going in with very low expectations watching it months after streaming release for free.

I didn't think Morbius was that bad until I got to the ending.  I swear I thought they were gearing up for another fight but then it was over.

Oh boy. I still want to see it. But early reviews are mixed to horrible.

Full reviews for Madame Web drop Tuesday morning, before then read on for a sampling of the first reactions to the film after the premiere.