• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's MADAME WEB Spidey spin-off (TBD)
4 4

367 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2024 at 5:29 PM, MAR1979 said:

To all who spent $500, $600, $700, $800, $900, $1000-$1500 or more on ASM 210, to quote The Joker HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Prepare to get big-time hosed! :roflmao:
image.thumb.png.2c6e32d539c606769d95b1df532cdb42.png

I predict a plummeting to under $500 for the newsstand and under $300 for direct sale before year end and then another 10-20% off of that next year.

P.S. Ain't saying I told you so, after you were scoffed at, one of life's simple pleasures

I'm really surprised people were paying that much so close to the opening of the movie.  When the first trailer dropped and we could see how horrible this movie was going to be, everyone should have been in sell mode.  I'm going to assume these were speculators who bought these, so yeah, burn baby burn.

I was able to watch this movie (invite; I did not pay).

Without spoilers; it can definitely be described as a movie...

There are some really good aspects:

1. Some of the humor works if you like Dakota Fanning
  2. There are a couple really deep spider-man comic easter eggs most will miss

That is about it, I was hoping for maybe a campy so bad it is good film but it has some pretty major basic film issues. The script feels like it is a first draft that was never fleshed out with character development. If you liked the trailers then you are going to be unimpressed with the actual movie, it is a Madame Web focused movie not an ensemble team up. The "villain" has zero development outside of "i'm a bad guy and do bad things" and at least in the version I saw had terrible ADR that unsynched in some scenes (specific to only this character). While Dakota Fanning's humor did work for me she really looks like she did not like being in the film, in a number of scenes she has a thousand mile stare while mono-toning monologue. Which brings me to the absolute inexcusable decision to have characters describe their actions, explain plot points in an overly wordy dialogue, and never actually "do" things or show "action". What you saw in the trailers is pretty much it only withholding one action set scene.

The movie isn't Morbius bad but it tries its best to be with some of the timey-whimey aspects used as the main plot point.

I feel really bad for some of the supporting actors; Sydney Sweeney was so positive and excited in interviews about playing Julia Carpenter and her talent was wasted in this movie.

And it appears the director is a seasoned series director and this was her first movie, and she was excited it was in the Spider-Verse. What a shame.

Madame Web filmmaker SJ Clarkson is both persistent and prolific. The British director has helmed at least 109 episodes of television from 2001 until now. She cut her teeth to the tune of 37 episodes on a British medical soap known as Doctors, but that experience eventually paved the way for the likes of Dexter, Orange Is the New Black and Succession. (Her first episode of Dexter ended with John Lithgow’s iconic line of, “Hello, Dexter Morgan.”) 

In recent years, Clarkson’s efforts to mount projects on a massive scale have tested her patience, as her Naomi Watts-led Game of Thrones prequel pilot, Bloodmoon, didn’t go, nor did her version of Star Trek 4 in 2018. Nevertheless, Clarkson’s feature directorial debut, Madame Web, is now arriving in theaters on Feb. 14, and she never imagined that her first film would take place in a universe that’s related to Spider-Man. 

“Every experience I’ve had to date has led me to this moment. Everything is tough to get going in many ways,” Clarkson tells The Hollywood Reporter. “Everything you make is a miracle. But, of course, as you go along the way, there are times when you’re frustrated. So I just hope that the right project comes along at the right time, and I trust fate and intuition.”

And she directed Netflix Marvel content too.

Madame Web is not Clarkson’s first brush with Marvel, as she previously directed the first two episodes of both Jessica Jones and The Defenders, which originally resided on Netflix, alongside Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. All five series purported to take place in Marvel Studios’ Marvel Cinematic Universe, however, Kevin Feige and co. always distanced themselves from these projects since they were spearheaded separately by Jeph Loeb at Marvel Television. 

Edited by Bosco685

On 2/14/2024 at 11:50 AM, media_junkie said:

Not sure if you are seriously asking about "how you mess up this movie".  This movie was DOA when it was announced.

After Sony experienced a rough lesson via Morbius and how it was received, you would think in this one they would have attempted to course-correct. Including the rumors it was going to have surprise links to Peter's birth and a reveal of the live Spider-Verse Spider-Man.

What studio in the business of generating profits - and having experienced $$ with Into The Spider-Verse, Across The Spider-Verse, Venom, Venom 2 as standalones - drops the ball again? Sony. Of course.

‘Bob Marley: One Love’ Headed To Midweek Valentine’s Day Opening Record Of $12M; ‘Madame Web’ Spinning $5M+ – Box Office

From Deadline: Projecting out six days is a bit iffy at this point. Some believe Bob Marley is frontloaded, yet there’s an argument to be made that this movie should not be comped to The Color Purple — one movie is about a iconic music artist and the other is a Broadway musical. Nonetheless, at this point, studios are sticking to forecasts of $30M+ for Bob Marley: One Love over six days, and $20M+ for Madame Web.

2c If this estimate holds, will be a minor miracle if it finishes at >$50M US.

On 2/14/2024 at 6:31 PM, paperheart said:

‘Bob Marley: One Love’ Headed To Midweek Valentine’s Day Opening Record Of $12M; ‘Madame Web’ Spinning $5M+ – Box Office

From Deadline: Projecting out six days is a bit iffy at this point. Some believe Bob Marley is frontloaded, yet there’s an argument to be made that this movie should not be comped to The Color Purple — one movie is about a iconic music artist and the other is a Broadway musical. Nonetheless, at this point, studios are sticking to forecasts of $30M+ for Bob Marley: One Love over six days, and $20M+ for Madame Web.

2c If this estimate holds, will be a minor miracle if it finishes at >$50M US.

:eek:

Does Sony even have a consistent producer of their Spider-films anymore?  It used to be Amy Pascal both when she worked at Sony and later after she left, but she wasn't on the list of producers for this trainwreck or Morbius.  All I see are people who like 99.99% of producers appear to have no idea what to do with superhero film properties, or on Morbius Avi Arad who we already 100% know has no idea how to have any influence on making a good superhero film.  :makepoint:

The more of these we get the more likely it becomes that Sony sells back to Marvel.  So bring on lots more cruddy Spider-flicks ASAP, please!  :taptaptap:  Can't wait for Venom 3, Black Cat, and a live action Miles Morales starring Jaden Smith.  :wishluck:

On 2/15/2024 at 1:18 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Rotten Tomatoes currently has this tied with Morbius at 15% positive.

So...props to Sony for consistency, I guess? 

also tied w/  Morbius, thought it had a shot at a C :censored: (so a D- in the real world)

image.jpeg.fff793bf53937a12373e0189e8ce57b4.jpeg

Edited by paperheart

On 2/13/2024 at 3:29 PM, MAR1979 said:

To all who spent $500, $600, $700, $800, $900, $1000-$1500 or more on ASM 210, to quote The Joker HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Prepare to get big-time hosed! :roflmao:
image.thumb.png.2c6e32d539c606769d95b1df532cdb42.png

I predict a plummeting to under $500 for the newsstand and under $300 for direct sale before year end and then another 10-20% off of that next year.

P.S. Ain't saying I told you so, after you were scoffed at, one of life's simple pleasures

How is this price action any different than every other movie related 1st app? The pattern is always the same. There have been much bigger run ups and collapses.

On 2/13/2024 at 5:54 PM, thegiftedone45 said:

I still think this movie was used to launder money.  But the only Madame Web thing I can remember is from the 90s cartoon at the end of its run.

Or to just get money out of the country. A few years back production companies were a way for wealthy Chinese to get money out. It worked for a short while until the Chinese government put an end to it. Set up a multi-billion pool, do a few production investments, and take the rest out via management and other fees.

On 2/15/2024 at 11:43 AM, kimik said:

How is this price action any different than every other movie related 1st app? The pattern is always the same. There have been much bigger run ups and collapses.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

On 2/15/2024 at 9:48 AM, MAR1979 said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

Agreed, but when it is this easy to profit from shouldn't we be encouraging it?