• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,015 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, George Brent said:

Yes, all the Avenging Spider Man #10 newsstand copies I've seen so far are stickered ones.   I own or have seen non-stickered newsstand copies of Av. Spider Man #1-9, 11,13-22, so #10 seems to be the only stickered one (I've yet to see a newsstand copy of #12).   Btw, I've been looking forever for a reasonably priced (<$100) NM newsstand copy of Daredevil #9 and *any* condition copy of Av. Spider Man #9, I lucked into both of them a couple of months ago (the Av. Spider Man copy is a VF-, but I can't complain)  :

IMG_6051.JPG

Awesome! And thanks for continuing the subject, because I felt I had dropped the ball. :shy:

I'm still learning, it's appreciated 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, George Brent said:

Yes, all the Avenging Spider Man #10 newsstand copies I've seen so far are stickered ones.   I own or have seen non-stickered newsstand copies of Av. Spider Man #1-9, 11,13-22, so #10 seems to be the only stickered one (I've yet to see a newsstand copy of #12).   Btw, I've been looking forever for a reasonably priced (<$100) NM newsstand copy of Daredevil #9 and *any* condition copy of Av. Spider Man #9, I lucked into both of them a couple of months ago (the Av. Spider Man copy is a VF-, but I can't complain)  :

IMG_6051.JPG

On 11/18/2022 at 9:56 PM, BishopT said:

More cool newsstands from this week:

67F9086B-063B-4CB8-BBEC-5B0CBA398701.jpeg

754EBD8B-EBC1-4F39-95C0-B3D2A9C2A7F0.jpeg

ECEDF921-D34C-4DEF-B080-67EFC1A81A22.jpeg

E6BECC47-BB5F-4014-916F-09999E80B4A8.jpeg

749660C9-E9C8-4A03-8258-D35EC6D9EF9A.jpeg

0DA96408-1F7D-4CCA-B4BC-CC72DAC03137.jpeg

To that point, and I understand if they're now considered trade secrets, but

Are yall still finding these more online, rather than the wild? I remember even as last year, some where saying "honey holes" were drying up. I guess I don't need specific examples of "where" but that would be cool, but more is there still hope for someone who hasn't got a lot? Just that it's possible?  I assume we post the pics to the boards to show that, but is it more online now?

These are all in person purchases, from me.

Personally, there are very few newsstand comics I’d pay what people are asking for. I’ve seen a few newsstand specific collectors at shows in the last half year, but still most people are for whatever. The people who are serious about it, though, are like “let me show you my spreadsheet in the middle of a busy show” serious. 

Edited by BishopT

On 11/18/2022 at 10:03 PM, BishopT said:

These are all in person purchases, from me.

Personally, there are very few newsstand comics I’d pay what people are asking for. I’ve seen a few newsstand specific collectors at shows in the last half year, but still most people are for whatever. The people who are serious about it, though, are like “let me show you my spreadsheet in the middle of a busy show” serious. 

Frame of mind for reference, I like it, I've got some responses from the lcs of they just don't want to mess with it, to idk if it matters with this book I'll mention it regardless. Other words it doesn't always affect price, but it is worth noting for them. Less so, of when you're selling to them, more though when buying. But I feel it is somewhat Undecided for most.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/18/2022 at 10:25 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Just my personal experience, I never buy newsstands at a "newsstand collector" price - I'm more of an opportunist. I personally prefer newsstands on copper books for my own collection because it's a nostalgia thing for me, but even then, if there's a key book I really want and the direct is significantly cheaper, I'll just buy that. But on modern and/or "rare" newsies, I just keep my eyes open. I can tell you there are still plenty of LCS's - at least near me - where they don't differentiate on price just because it's a newsstand (although many are increasingly hip to the game). My best luck continues to come on eBay and flea market stuff where people are selling lots and they probably aren't comic collectors, they're "collectible flippers" who run on volume and don't care to do the research. Even those are drying up, but they're still out there if you hunt. And usually when I'm buying those, I'm buying them to sell so I can fund what I really want for myself. Just my 2c.

That's the way it was for me, I was trying to analyze if it still is lol

By word of mouth, since stores discuss among themselves etc

. If I mention a book is a newsstand to sell them, they don't want to deal, but usually don't sell at a premium, and that is probably why.

I've just felt less compelled to buy every newsstand, and idk if that is because the nuance has changed, or ???

I'm just not hearing of as many books to search for. Come to think of it, I ignored hype and spec so long that when I was priced out of most older books, nothing gold silver couldn't really ever afford them, but with moderns there is now so much coming down money wise that nows the time to search if not dried up! I'm only now realizing what's been spoken of lol

I guess better late than never?

Looooooooong run on sentence but I'm in a hurry lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I don't want to tie up the thread. I think it's all the same, but prices are dropping. Either there are less for sale online, or the bins have already been picked through in person.

Patience. I just thank you for the feedback, that it is there, just patience 

!

On 11/18/2022 at 10:36 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't want to tie up the thread. I think it's all the same, but prices are dropping. Either there are less for sale online, or the bins have already been picked through in person.

Patience. I just thank you for the feedback, that it is there, just patience 

!

Well again, just a single example, but I just recently sold a Thundercats 23 newsstand for $30 and I bought it out of a $2 bin. The direct version usually sells for $15 or less. So I think there are still collectors out there paying a premium, but it's probably a little more book-dependent now.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:44 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Well again, just a single example, but I just recently sold a Thundercats 23 newsstand for $30 and I bought it out of a $2 bin. The direct version usually sells for $15 or less. So I think there are still collectors out there paying a premium, but it's probably a little more book-dependent now.

Oh i have no doubt what I have might sell, no worries, yet I haven't sold lol

And I was just curious if I'd still find more newsies or even randoms, and it doesn't have to be cheap, which is preferred At least keep it reasonable. 

I can speak for my usual places, and it's been dried up mostly since spring for really keys of note. I assume the newsstand to be the same function in the equation, then it depends on who gets stock from where. More cathartic to read it typed out, so I'm glad I asked. 

I just needed info on where to focus, which can be regional, or whether to continue hitting: dvd stores, game shops, half price books (all may have a new rep on how they handle such) or look more online. It sounds like it may in my area have not changed, but be less available for whatever reason and if found still should be bought.

I'm like you it's what I buy and look for with my cheaper funds. I just haven't sold as much. I'd love to trade to the LCS, but as I said, their not wanting to deal with it.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/18/2022 at 11:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

To that point, and I understand if they're now considered trade secrets, but

Are yall still finding these more online, rather than the wild? I remember even as last year, some where saying "honey holes" were drying up. I guess I don't need specific examples of "where" but that would be cool, but more is there still hope for someone who hasn't got a lot? Just that it's possible?  I assume we post the pics to the boards to show that, but is it more online now?

99% of all my purchases including Modern Newsstands are online. Any shops I’ve visited have had a few but they’re not prevalent. 

On 11/20/2022 at 9:44 AM, fastballspecial said:

web1news.thumb.jpg.d8f83cddaf9c1cc69caece5727c3f159.jpg

On 11/20/2022 at 5:22 PM, littledoom said:

Sick cover, never seen it b4

So is that Spider-Man 2099? Seemingly with the the wings or ratty linen off the arms, I never was sure what they were on 2099. Also I don't remember the Kaine, which Spider-Man that was lol

I'll agree seeing it today it does look good.  :)