• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2023 at 10:40 AM, ThothAmon said:

Do any of you Mr. Wizards feel it’s worth getting most modern newsstands graded? Assuming potential NM+ grades of course. 

24BCB9F4-6D9E-4A14-BB1B-9AEFB347E584.jpeg

So anytime someone asks if something is “worth getting graded” I assume what they’re really asking whether getting it graded would increase the resale value. I think that the resale value of a modern newsstand key would absolutely go up if it were slabbed in high grade.

However, newsstand copies of common back issues are a different story. Obviously I don’t speak for everyone, but when I work on collecting newsstand runs my primary goal is just to find a copy of every issue, regardless of condition…high grade is preferable, but simple completion of the run is the main goal. With that in mind, I personally wouldn’t pay a premium for a slabbed common newsstand issue — I would much rather buy a raw copy and use the extra money to buy other issues from the run.

Honestly, the same thing applies to any common issue. Slabbing is only going to increase the value if there is a low enough supply of/high enough demand for high-grade copies that someone is willing to shell out extra for a copy that’s already slabbed. This is why you can buy 9.8 slabs of some books for less than the cost of a grading fee.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:38 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Wait, so you, as the seller, had this listed as an active auction item, and it had a $9.99 bid with time left to go in the auction, and you canceled the person's bid and pulled the auction? I'm sorry man, but that seems like not a great look as a seller. Not to mention that a Spawn 5 newsstand is like a $10-15 book anyway.

OK Man, so you called me out on pulling off the shelf. Can you tell me the percentage of auction sales where the bidder simply wins the item but never pays? It's in the range of 30 - 60 percent. I pulled it because there was an error in the listing and that is simply the statement I gave ebay. Errors happen!

Wait, so you, as the seller, had this listed as an active auction item, and it had a $9.99 bid with time left to go in the auction, and you canceled the person's bid and pulled the auction? I'm sorry man, but that seems like not a great look as a seller. Not to mention that a Spawn 5 newsstand is like a $10-15 book anyway.

BTW, glad you liked my newssie!

I'm not so sure being Mile-High has it listed pretty highly! :takeit:

image.thumb.png.a4455f98cd269343f6dedc1150c36336.png

Edited by jnicholas1976
please delete this thread....too many snowflakes

On 2/21/2023 at 6:47 PM, jnicholas1976 said:

OK Man, so you called me out on pulling off the shelf. Can you tell me the percentage of auction sales where the bidder simply wins the item but never pays? It's in the range of 30 - 60 percent. I pulled it because there was an error in the listing and that is simply the statement I gave ebay. Errors happen!

I'm not really sure how non-paying bidders play into this scenario, and $10 is around the right price for that copy you posted.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:54 PM, jnicholas1976 said:

I'm not so sure being Mile-High has it listed pretty highly! :takeit:

image.thumb.png.a4455f98cd269343f6dedc1150c36336.png

I'm sure they do, there's sort of a joke that that's why they're called "Mile High." The 5 most recent eBay sales of a raw Spawn 5 newsstand were $16.95, $9.50, $16.50, $9.99 and $13.49 - and those looked to be NM copies.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help out and offer some perspective. But it's your book and your account, so obviously you can do as you like.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:58 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I'm not really sure how non-paying bidders play into this scenario, and $10 is around the right price for that copy you posted.

I'm sure they do, there's sort of a joke that that's why they're called "Mile High." The 5 most recent eBay sales of a raw Spawn 5 newsstand were $16.95, $9.50, $16.50, $9.99 and $13.49 - and those looked to be NM copies.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help out and offer some perspective. But it's your book and your account, so obviously you can do as you like.

meh, wasn't asking but received feedback. Noted!

Pulling a listing because you forgot to add newsstand to the title or description seems unnecessary. Did you think you’d get more for it with newsstand in the title? That’s on the same level as sellers having a book listed, the book seeing an increase, a buyer purchases at the lower price and the seller cancels to relist it at a higher price. I also haven’t had a non paying buyer in forever. So I’m unsure where you’re pulling those numbers from. 

On 2/21/2023 at 6:29 PM, jnicholas1976 said:

Here is a story to accompany this fine issue.

Sometimes I sell a few books on E-Bay. I got the notification this evening that I had a bid on my book and there were 14 hours left. Imagine my surprise when I realize I mislisted this newsie. Yes, my Spawn #5 Newsstand variant received a bid of $9.99 with 14 hours left. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the auction when I realized I forgot to mention it was the newsstand variant. I almost swallowed my chewing tobacco when I looked at the pics. I somehow forgot to list it as a newsstand variant! Fortunately for me, I was able to cancel the auction. Here are the pics.

SPAWN 5 Newsstand back.jpg

SPAWN 5 Newsstand front.jpg

HEY, ON THE BRIGHT SIDE.... 

SHOW ME YOUR SPAWN #5 NEWSIE. FORGET THE STORY I TELL. I SHOWED MINE....SHOW ME YOURS?

On 2/23/2023 at 12:18 AM, jnicholas1976 said:

HEY, ON THE BRIGHT SIDE.... 

SHOW ME YOUR SPAWN #5 NEWSIE. FORGET THE STORY I TELL. I SHOWED MINE....SHOW ME YOURS?

would go get one on eBay, but I hear that some sellers are out there canceling bids if they don’t think that they’ll get enough money from you.