• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

with that said, that is a pretty big difference between newsie and direct, even at that late date... like 10X the price of the direct ... I guess you only get that big bump on cool covers?

2 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Well it’s included in this lot and there’s a bunch of newsstands. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114574667158

No quicker than you mentioned it that sold. But as you said it did have several newsstands and whoever ended up with it , if split will still profit as in addition to the above mentioned book and the fact a lot of them are newsstand, this one was in there..20210201_180418.jpg.9aeb5ef8bf82a97475cf68a4d67de7b1.jpg

To be honest . If I had seen this a little quicker, I would have bought this lot. 

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

No quicker than you mentioned it that sold. But as you said it did have several newsstands and whoever ended up with it , if split will still profit as in addition to the above mentioned book and the fact a lot of them are newsstand, this one was in there..20210201_180418.jpg.9aeb5ef8bf82a97475cf68a4d67de7b1.jpg

To be honest . If I had seen this a little quicker, I would have bought this lot. 

I made a low offer and was countered but declined it. I noticed that issue first. 

11 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Prices on those new avengers newsies are all over the place. it seems like later/cool cover/key is critical to big bucks, this one only went for $11.50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AVENGERS-11-MARVEL-COMICS-2005-NEWSSTAND-ISSUE-RONIN-1st-APPEARANCE-/143898203595?hash=item21810055cb%3Ag%3AsVYAAOSwjudf5kne&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

with that said someone who busts that up may double or triple their money unless all the books have a lot of little dings not showing up in pics

Edited by the blob

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

That's a direct edition where the seller stated "Newsstand".  It isn't.

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's a direct edition where the seller stated "Newsstand".  It isn't.

hah, see about the going blind part? 

ok, early in the run most of them are still not so expensive, and some other issues, I guess "it depends"... clearly venomized wolvie gets folks excited even though the regular copy does not so much:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=new+avengers+newsstand&_sacat=0&_sop=15

21 minutes ago, the blob said:

hah, see about the going blind part? 

ok, early in the run most of them are still not so expensive, and some other issues, I guess "it depends"... clearly venomized wolvie gets folks excited even though the regular copy does not so much:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=new+avengers+newsstand&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The bad part is scanning barcodes on eBay for newsstands is a lot harder because eBay crops a lot of photos in the new app so you have to actually click on the item to get the full picture. Not for all of them but I’d say 30-40% have the barcode cropped out. It’s become much more tedious and why I haven’t been buying as many newsstands. 

Venomized Wolverine on New Avengers #35 is from 2007, and the "venomized" trend for every Marvel character didn't really catch on until 2012.  It was ahead of its time and basically started with the biggest Marvel character - since Venomized Spider-Man wouldn't really be a thing.  There are plenty of direct editions, but the newsstand is destined to become a "must have" for newsstand collectors, Venom collectors, and Wolverine variant chasers, if it isn't already.

5 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Isn’t that the same series with #50 2nd Print Newsstand Engagement Issue that goes for a tidy sum? 

That is correct, although as Greggy pointed out timeline wise it is not modern, eventough CGC it is the modern grading.  Last I checked there were only 2 of those in 9.8

Here is mine.

Spoiler

20200627_200238.thumb.jpg.385643ccbe13540932de20a648da0c3a.jpg

Double checked and still only 2 on census for the 9.8 

Spoiler

20210204_144415.jpg.efd5a4cb0bc9a9f262345e9083fe7aec.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Add Census Data

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Double checked and still only 2 on census for the 9.8 

Yes, and the second one has been on eBay for awhile and appears to have some issues. Could probably argue you have the ONLY remaining 9.8 after looking at the listing pics..,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-50-Rare-Variant-CGC-9-8-White-Pages/264999176357?hash=item3db32e88a5:g:vu4AAOSwhKVf8MNW

1 hour ago, Iconic1s said:

Yes, and the second one has been on eBay for awhile and appears to have some issues. Could probably argue you have the ONLY remaining 9.8 after looking at the listing pics..,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-50-Rare-Variant-CGC-9-8-White-Pages/264999176357?hash=item3db32e88a5:g:vu4AAOSwhKVf8MNW

I knew it has been on ebay( been watching to see if or what it sells for.) , but since I already have mine , didn't pay that close attention to it. Looking closer I believe you may be correct. :foryou: 

I also still have a second copy raw that I got a while ago from another board member, but it is not a 9.8. Still was really glad to add it to my collection.  :cloud9: I know these can be a challenge to find.

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Correct the incorrect auto-correct.

2 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

Those are not 9.8 corners!