• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2023 at 12:17 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic it will be a good time, but Kang always seemed like such a minor villain to me - not remotely in the same league as Dr. Doom, Thanos, etc.

But, they are marketing him as the next big bad, who is on Thanos' level. Which honestly may be part of the MCU's problem at this point.  They have forgotten how to go small, how to make things feel character driven and personal.  Through phase 3, the Aveneges movies were for the major world ending threats, and the solo films were for smaller personal stories.  It worked. Now even the secondary films are relying on everything being a world ending event.  There is nothing small anymore. That disrupts the balence, and has audiences grow tired of, well I guess the world is about to end again, oh look they saved us. 

They need to go back to the original setup. Otherwise it all gets a sameness feel to everything, and people tune out. 

On 2/14/2023 at 10:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Some of the negative reviews paint a picture that this isn't as humorous as other MCU entries. Sounds exactly like what the audiences asked for.

lol

It is probably the same expert "critics" that loved Thor Love & Thunder due to the humor. 

On 2/14/2023 at 12:17 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic it will be a good time, but Kang always seemed like such a minor villain to me - not remotely in the same league as Dr. Doom, Thanos, etc.

Same.  Been collecting and reading for over 40 years and Kang was never even a blip on my radar.  I'm waiting for The Brood to make their appearance in the MCU when the X-Men finally join properly...THAT'LL be some good stuff if done right.

The Ant-Man movies are among my favorites from the MCU, specifically because they were largely lower-stakes, semi-self contained heist/adventure movies. I'm kinda bummed that with this one it appears they're going large-scale, super tied-in to MCU continuity. The MCU disappeared up their own a while back, but the Ant Man movies were still FUN. Hopefully this one manages to still be enjoyable, and isn't totally tied to laying foundations for the next several dozen films/shows to follow. Ugh. 

On 2/14/2023 at 2:19 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

'Kang is the next Thanos', so you're kinda screwed on this front.

yeah, there's no getting around it, I guess, but hopefully there's something to the movie for those of us who don't care about the "big picture" of these things. An entertaining movie that can stand on its own, it seems impossible, but hope endures!

On 2/14/2023 at 2:21 PM, F For Fake said:

yeah, there's no getting around it, I guess, but hopefully there's something to the movie for those of us who don't care about the "big picture" of these things. An entertaining movie that can stand on its own, it seems impossible, but hope endures!

Maybe if they keep the 'Kang Will Return' reveal to the credits scene, this is possible; Much like Loki surviving at the end of Thor.

In my head, though, I know he's coming back and that really bites at any stakes the movie might offer.

On 2/14/2023 at 3:17 PM, fantastic_four said:

Given that Chris Claremont ripped them off from Alien and that Disney owns the Alien license I'll be shocked if we ever see the Brood in the MCU.  They'd get panned for what they are--derivative of Alien.

Plenty of good X-villans.  Would like to see Sinister leading into Mutant Massacre (I know his connection was kinda reconned) or Inferno. Or maybe Fall of the Mutants.  Feel like they need to distence themselves from Magneto as a villan or Apocalypse for now.

On 2/15/2023 at 4:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Some of the negative reviews paint a picture that this isn't as humorous as other MCU entries. Sounds exactly like what the audiences asked for.

The earlier ones were aimed at the early teens, pre-teens market, way more kid orientated than the other MCU films of the same time.   People were expecting more of the same??

That being said, I thought the first Ant-Man movie was bad and the start of the below average to mediocre solo MCU film slate. I will go see this one just because it is a chance to hang out with some collector friends, but I was expecting it to be weak no matter what.