• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

My dad wants to see it, so I got tickets for February 16th.

With a runtime of only about 1hr55min, I'm pessimistic about the story being able to pull off a Kang spectacle. How will they be able to tell a compelling story about Ant-Man, and a villain who certainly doesn't die, without making it feel like an overlong trailer for Avengers 5? That's the question.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:35 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

With a runtime of only about 1hr55min, I'm pessimistic about the story being able to pull off a Kang spectacle. How will they be able to tell a compelling story about Ant-Man, and a villain who certainly doesn't die, without making it feel like an overlong trailer for Avengers 5? That's the question.

Similar run time as the other Ant-Man movies as well as GOTG and Doctor Strange...those last two seemed to have plenty of time to setup several characters that nobody knew anything about. It doesn't have to be End Game long to be able to setup Kang well. Crossing my fingers....

On 1/17/2023 at 2:38 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Similar run time as the other Ant-Man movies as well as GOTG and Doctor Strange...those last two seemed to have plenty of time to setup several characters that nobody knew anything about. It doesn't have to be End Game long to be able to setup Kang well. Crossing my fingers....

We know that Kang isn't dying, though, so not only do they have to set him up in a manner that we don't mind him existing beyond this movie, they have to still make the stakes meaningful for Ant-Man & Co. None of the other movies had to accomplish this, because their villains were 1-deminsional, one-and-done.

On 1/17/2023 at 1:43 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

We know that Kang isn't dying, though, so not only do they have to set him up in a manner that we don't mind him existing beyond this movie, they have to still make the stakes meaningful for Ant-Man & Co. None of the other movies had to accomplish this, because their villains were 1-deminsional, one-and-done.

Point really was that those other movies introduced characters like Starlord, Rocket, Drax, Gamora, Groot, Wong...who even those in the comic world didn't know a ton about prior to the movies, and 2hrs was plenty to get us hooked on the entire team. They don't need to cram everything about Kang in to this one...and we already have some origin/back story from Loki as well. 

On 1/17/2023 at 2:43 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Kang has 60 years of stories to pull from!Plus when did you become a Kang fan??😁

The second trailer really ramped up the film for me. I haven't wanted to see a Marvel movie in the theater for years. This one is compelling me a little bit...

But I'm still holding hard for home streaming new releases.

Looking forward to this one, really hoping they set the tone for the rest of this phase. GF is not as pumped. Mentioned something about a sharp stick in the eye...

On 1/18/2023 at 2:35 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Kang is at least a multi series/movie character at this point.   Thats something to draw a bit of hope out of Ant-man.  

Ant-man as a franchise has always been pitched at younger audiences, so lets see if they're factoring in their raging audience, ala the Harry Potter movies.

No idea if this is true or not, but a few people on Reddit have posted claiming to be VFX artists, and it does have a thriving community for such. They claim that the movie has basically only finished 10% of the effects, little more than you see in the trailer, and that their studio is currently in crunch at the moment trying to get everything else finished in time. 

On 1/17/2023 at 3:03 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Point really was that those other movies introduced characters like Starlord, Rocket, Drax, Gamora, Groot, Wong...who even those in the comic world didn't know a ton about prior to the movies, and 2hrs was plenty to get us hooked on the entire team. They don't need to cram everything about Kang in to this one...and we already have some origin/back story from Loki as well. 

"Cramming everything about Kang in" is a red herring. That's not a concern...

Not everybody watched Loki, so...

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 1/18/2023 at 6:00 AM, Cat said:

No idea if this is true or not, but a few people on Reddit have posted claiming to be VFX artists, and it does have a thriving community for such. They claim that the movie has basically only finished 10% of the effects, little more than you see in the trailer, and that their studio is currently in crunch at the moment trying to get everything else finished in time.

Every production I've known of has used multiple VFX studios, so it's definitely a reach that one studio/artist could determine how much of the entire movie is complete.

Marvel Studios has a reputation of poor management with VFX studios, though, so there could be some smoke with Quantumania.

On 1/18/2023 at 9:59 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Every production I've known of has used multiple VFX studios, so it's definitely a reach that one studio/artist could determine how much of the entire movie is complete.

Marvel Studios has a reputation of poor management with VFX studios, though, so there could be some smoke with Quantumania.

Exactly. I can't entirely discount it, there could well be something to it. Look at Black Panther and how close to the wire it's effects were.