• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2023 at 5:33 PM, Artboy99 said:

I wasn't thinking this, until I have heard of extensive reshoots required by Marvel to add "humor" as they felt the film had too strong of a serious overtone.

This is unfortunate.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/ant-man-3-reshoots-ruin-franchise.html

REALLY hate hearing this. One of the things that made End Game so good is the serious overtone. One of the things that made Thor Love & Thunder horrible is the obnoxious forced humor...

MCU is sliding...

I liked the new trailer, and hope the film can clarify and focus Kang as an interesting and potent villain.  The MCU more than ever needs a narrative through-line, which is made almost impossible by their embrace of the multiverse and its infinite possibilities.  Such possibilities erode any sense of 'stakes' with regard to story-telling, so the sooner they can set its limits and move us forward in terms of character interactions (which is what I loved about the Infinity Saga), the better.  I am a huge fan of Phases 1-3, but have found Phase 4 too scattered and broad in its storytelling thus far.  There are some pockets of real potential, I think, but only pockets.  Hope Quantumania helps the cause.

Dan

On 1/14/2023 at 10:27 AM, Drummy said:

I liked the new trailer, and hope the film can clarify and focus Kang as an interesting and potent villain.  The MCU more than ever needs a narrative through-line, which is made almost impossible by their embrace of the multiverse and its infinite possibilities.  Such possibilities erode any sense of 'stakes' with regard to story-telling, so the sooner they can set its limits and move us forward in terms of character interactions (which is what I loved about the Infinity Saga), the better.  I am a huge fan of Phases 1-3, but have found Phase 4 too scattered and broad in its storytelling thus far.  There are some pockets of real potential, I think, but only pockets.  Hope Quantumania helps the cause.

Dan

I’m not sure why people feel that way. If your car was destroyed, would it be of no consequence because you can replace it? If there are unlimited versions of every character in unlimited universes, does that really discount the impact of their loss? The events still occurred, so their impact shouldn’t become irrelevant. I think that impact was made quite relevant when Wanda wanted to take away the children of her alternate self.

I think I'm meaning 'stakes' more in the sense that some of the films are leaning more into the CGI special effects possibilities, creating a sense that spectacle is more compelling for audiences than characters.  I love me some Wanda, for example, but thought it was a poor story-telling choice to have her corruption by the Darkhold take root off-screen.  I think showing her battle with the book, her loss, and the subsequent outcomes would have made for a stronger story that what we got in DS2.  I guess I would wish to spend more time with her than running around the multi-verse for dozens of cameos and secondary plots, etc.  (And I think that's why 'No Way Home' works well as a multiverse movie -- we already knew and sympathized with the characters they brought together.)

In other words, your point about the car holds, as the only reason I care about the car is that it's seen me through a lot already -- the car and I have a detailed, shared history, and that's what I'm looking for in these films at this point: spending more time with characters I've come to appreciate rather than watch other versions of the characters whose past I know so little about.

D

I'm withholding judgement about the multi-verse.  I generally don't like time travel, but I did like that the time travel angle in Endgame imposed a price - a 5-year loss of time for most characters and of course 1/2 of humanity.  It wasn't just a freebie.  I also like that the price appears to be one of the driving narratives of Quantumania and events in that film look like they may increase the price the Avengers and others have to pay for the events of Endgame.  Trade-offs are a seldom-mentioned but very real cost of living out here in the real world and should also be in the MCU.  They've addressed this general theme with the "collateral damage" consequences shown in Civil War.  Regardless if they were fully at fault, the Avengers had to pay a price for their actions.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:14 PM, Drummy said:

I think I'm meaning 'stakes' more in the sense that some of the films are leaning more into the CGI special effects possibilities, creating a sense that spectacle is more compelling for audiences than characters.  I love me some Wanda, for example, but thought it was a poor story-telling choice to have her corruption by the Darkhold take root off-screen.  I think showing her battle with the book, her loss, and the subsequent outcomes would have made for a stronger story that what we got in DS2.  I guess I would wish to spend more time with her than running around the multi-verse for dozens of cameos and secondary plots, etc.  (And I think that's why 'No Way Home' works well as a multiverse movie -- we already knew and sympathized with the characters they brought together.)

In other words, your point about the car holds, as the only reason I care about the car is that it's seen me through a lot already -- the car and I have a detailed, shared history, and that's what I'm looking for in these films at this point: spending more time with characters I've come to appreciate rather than watch other versions of the characters whose past I know so little about.

D

I think the problem is they have not given us new characters to care about, more then the multiverse at this point.  I do think though, that a multiverse abused leads to lower stakes.