• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's JOKER: THE SEQUEL directed by Todd Phillips (TBD)
3 3

251 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2022 at 10:02 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

To be clear, I found the posts from our prior exchange, and I never discredited the expert. I simply mentioned that experts can be wrong, as I have also done here. When it comes to psychology (and criminology), opinions are not absolute. If we could solve the criminal mind, crime could be non-existent. That's currently impossible.

Context always matters. In certain parts of Joker, mental illness is presented in manners that I (and experts) agree are realistic. In others, I (and experts) agree that they're presented very poorly. Overall, Joker is not a piece of media that I would use to study a criminal mind, mostly because it's entirely fiction. If it was based off of a true story, this discussion would be wildly different.

What credentials as a profession expert does your 'family member' have in influencing principles and practices? That's the difference between an expert and a practitioner. They are vastly different.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:04 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think you are being disingenuous to the relevance the movie tried to bring to the topic of psychotic influences leading to criminal behavior. Only because you want to be right.

So you are entitled to your opinion. But not misrepresenting how a recognized expert sees the reality conveyed in the film because a family member had opinions. Unless that person is being noted as influential to their profession's standards and practices, is that an expert or a practitioner? There is a difference.

An expert. Get it right.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

What credentials as a profession expert does your 'family member' have in influencing principles and practices? That's the difference between an expert and a practitioner. They are vastly different.

Is 32 years of experience in the field, including with the FBI, good enough for you? :facepalm:

On 6/15/2022 at 10:09 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

An expert. Get it right.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is 32 years of experience in the field, including with the FBI, good enough for you? :facepalm:

:facepalm: is right.

Practitioner versus expert is a big difference. No matter how many years. So get it right yourself.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

:facepalm: is right.

Practitioner versus expert is a big difference. No matter how many years. So get it right yourself.

You're wrong, but okay.

An expert is somebody who has a broad and deep understanding and competence in terms of knowledge, skill and experience through practice and education in a particular field.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 6/15/2022 at 11:39 AM, F For Fake said:

So I'm just seeing this stuff about Lady Gaga and Joker 2 being a musical, and I have to confess that the impossible has happened: I'm now actually interested in seeing a sequel to The Joker. That's something I couldn't have said a week ago!

On face value, it is definitely not the concept I would have ever envisioned. At all.

We'll see what reality brings.

I presumed this Lady Gaga musical thing was a stage show separate from the movie / sequel (I tend to skim read at 4:30 in the morning). Can't say I'll be in a rush to watch that, musicals really ain't my thing.

Edited by Boozad

On 6/15/2022 at 1:34 PM, Gatsby77 said:

To be fair, Lady Gaga was part of one of the biggest (non-Disney) musicals of the last decade+.

And it was *really* good, too.

I think it just comes down to perceptions now what a comic book production should be. So the first reaction is, "A musical??!!"

I do think the fancasting of Lady Gaga could be a smart one, knowing years ago fans were wanting her for this role. And if they can make it work at the same time as other interpretations, no harm done.

What I didn't realize was that Todd Phillips produced A Star Is Born, which then later Bradley Cooper co-produced Joker. So there's a connection there.

The more I think about it, if done right, it could be a blast. I am thinking of movies with a killer soundtrack that’s just as important as the characters.  The Chemical Brothers’ soundtrack in Hanna comes to mind. Run Lola Run is another. Even Goodfellas.  Who knows.  This may just work.  Just hope it stays twisted and dark (especially the music). 

Edited by eastriver31400

On 6/15/2022 at 10:07 PM, Bosco685 said:

I watch this movie every few years. That soundtrack is fantastic.

We're on a roll today Bosco. I play the CD often in the car and watch the film every time it's repeated on freeview. Which is roughly every six months over here. The scene where she snaps Lady Mary's neck then starts shooting out the cameras as the watching Blanchet recoils gets me every time.  And I like the Hulk in it. Banner. Bana, or whatever his bloody name is :cloud9:

On 6/15/2022 at 5:14 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

We're on a roll today Bosco. I play the CD often in the car and watch the film every time it's repeated on freeview. Which is roughly every six months over here. The scene where she snaps Lady Mary's neck then starts shooting out the cameras as the watching Blanchet recoils gets me every time.  And I like the Hulk in it. Banner. Bana, or whatever his bloody name is :cloud9:

secret-handshake-trouble.gif.15ec7a575d5f933314ac877fde29f961.gif

On 6/15/2022 at 8:39 AM, F For Fake said:

So I'm just seeing this stuff about Lady Gaga and Joker 2 being a musical, and I have to confess that the impossible has happened: I'm now actually interested in seeing a sequel to The Joker. That's something I couldn't have said a week ago!

This.  I still haven’t seen the first one, but this is insane enough to interest me.