• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2023 at 4:53 PM, Bronty said:

That's the sound I've been making since about 11am this morning, yes! :tonofbricks:

I'm kind of praying insurance can cover it! I too have had asset issues that I was told wasn't an emergency,  and after Christmas they became some and yet, I had help with them.

If I had to afford a roof, oye, just prayers.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Is cerebus going to hold up?  The run ended, and the character is important historically but will be forgotten IMO.  Usagi Yojimbo and TMNT on the other hand continue to hold strong.  Thoughts?  Even Grendel has more legs over time than Cerebus, and Mignola's Hellboy issues are probably going to be increasingly important.  I realize Cerebus is perhaps the hardest of all of these to find in high grade.  But I'm just curious what people think on this topic.  

On 1/23/2023 at 2:10 PM, heartened said:

Is cerebus going to hold up?  The run ended, and the character is important historically but will be forgotten IMO.  Usagi Yojimbo and TMNT on the other hand continue to hold strong.  Thoughts?  Even Grendel has more legs over time than Cerebus, and Mignola's Hellboy issues are probably going to be increasingly important.  I realize Cerebus is perhaps the hardest of all of these to find in high grade.  But I'm just curious what people think on this topic.  

Well, I think that was the discussion when the run ended... that people didn't expect the value of #1 to hold up given the fact the series was over.    Surprisingly, not only did it hold up but it gained strength.     I think for at least the mid term it will be more than fine.    Eventually it may fade but that's true of a lot of things.

On 1/23/2023 at 2:10 PM, heartened said:

Good thought but if that was true,  the prices would have collapsed a long time ago...

Maybe it's 2000 copies (scarcity) and the historical significance contribute to the books increasing prices on the market rather than its lead character.  

On 1/23/2023 at 8:20 PM, WolverineX said:

Good thought but if that was true,  the prices would have collapsed a long time ago...

Maybe it's 2000 copies (scarcity) and the historical significance contribute to the books increasing prices on the market rather than its lead character.  

Yeah agreed, but these things have long tails of collectability based on previous followers and hype.  I'm more saying 10 years from now.  Characters need to be sustained and maintain visibility and popularity.  Look at the spread between Marvel keys and DC keys over time.  It's growing.  I do agree the scarcity is an issue, but lots of books back in the day were listed as "rare" and "scarce" in overstreet but even they fell away once people forgot the characters or the reason they were read to begin with.  Maybe it won't fall, but it won't grow as much as more popular, sustained characters.  Time will tell I suppose.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:30 AM, heartened said:

Yeah agreed, but these things have long tails of collectability based on previous followers and hype.  I'm more saying 10 years from now.  Characters need to be sustained and maintain visibility and popularity.  Look at the spread between Marvel keys and DC keys over time.  It's growing.  I do agree the scarcity is an issue, but lots of books back in the day were listed as "rare" and "scarce" in overstreet but even they fell away once people forgot the characters or the reason they were read to begin with.  Maybe it won't fall, but it won't grow as much as more popular, sustained characters.  Time will tell I suppose.

It's certainly unlikely to be hotly desired 50 years from now when we are all dead or in nursing homes.    In the meantime I'd still like a copy for myself one day.    We have to live life.    If its worth nothing at that time, as long as we didn't go broke buying it, at least we got to enjoy it.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/24/2023 at 7:30 AM, heartened said:

I mean Cerebus will become public domain once Sims passes.  who knows what will happen.  But still, 2000 copies is not much at all. two thousand.  (and who knows how many have been lost with time)  Heck, someone could even corner the market and buy every copy if they wanted.   Compare that to the number of hulk 181s.  It would not take much demand to keep the price elevated.  I mean, how many copies of Cerebus 1 have you ever seen in the wild?  I've never seen one.

Edited by WolverineX

On 1/24/2023 at 12:24 PM, WolverineX said:

I mean Cerebus will become public domain once Sims passes.  who knows what will happen.  But still, 2000 copies is not much at all. two thousand.  (and who knows how many have been lost with time)  Heck, someone could even corner the market and buy every copy if they wanted.   Compare that to the number of hulk 181s.  It would not take much demand to keep the price elevated.  I mean, how many copies of Cerebus 1 have you ever seen in the wild?  I've never seen one.

Yeah, I only ever saw one at a local comicon.

There was also discussion that only 1600 were usable and they got a credit from the printer for 400 books making the print run 1600, 2400, then 2000, but who knows for sure.    It would explain why #2 is the one I see a little more than 1 or 3 or 4 though.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, Bronty said:

Yeah, I only ever saw one at a local comicon.

There was also discussion that only 1600 were usable and they got a credit from the printer for 400 books making the print run 1600, 2400, then 2000, but who knows for sure.    It would explain why #2 is the one I see a little more than 1 or 3 or 4 though.

I actually got mine at a local comiccon. The ask was $300 for what I thought was about a VG. I got it pressed and graded and it came back as a universal 7.0 so I was very happy!

I had one in my hands at a convention a few years ago. Nice looking raw book. Asking price was $2k. I thought about it, but that was a lot of money at that moment, couldn't do it. 

On 1/26/2023 at 9:27 AM, F For Fake said:

I had one in my hands at a convention a few years ago. Nice looking raw book. Asking price was $2k. I thought about it, but that was a lot of money at that moment, couldn't do it. 

The problem of raw  is you better make sure it's not the counterfeit.  

On 1/26/2023 at 3:03 PM, WolverineX said:

The problem of raw  is you better make sure it's not the counterfeit.  

Yeah, it was the real thing. I've held both in my hands, and can tell the difference. This was the real deal, from a dealer I trusted, but I just couldn't make myself pay that much for it. I was tempted to pick up a nice copy of the counterfeit for $150 not long after that, but again, gave it a pass as that seemed high. Probably should have sucked it up and bought both of them!

On 1/26/2023 at 3:22 PM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, it was the real thing. I've held both in my hands, and can tell the difference. This was the real deal, from a dealer I trusted, but I just couldn't make myself pay that much for it. I was tempted to pick up a nice copy of the counterfeit for $150 not long after that, but again, gave it a pass as that seemed high. Probably should have sucked it up and bought both of them!

I know, it's always in hindsight.  Who would have thought the counterfeit would go up in price that high as well...