• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2022 at 1:56 PM, Aman619 said:

Thanx guys. Great book! I bought and read em all… actually just the Jaime stories. Beto style didn’t do it for me. 

I get that, I know others who feel that way. Personally, I love them both, but they're doing very different things. Jaime is, of course, one of the all time great cartoonists and comic storytellers (and he sure does draw some pretty ladies!), so it's a tough act to match up to; but Gilbert's world building is so dense, it really knocks me out. I feel like I have to read a primer for every new issue, to keep all of the characters straight, but I actually love that about his stuff. He also has that whole dreamlike aspect to his work, while Jaime's stuff I tend to take more literally. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:41 AM, SuperBird said:

Wow, that looks sharp, and given Fanta's background in producing gorgeous archival collections, I'm sure it'll look even better in person. So, do I buy these stories again, for what would be the third or fourth (or fifth!) format? I'm gonna say...yup!

Edited by F For Fake

I would have done a Love and Rockets sales thread sooner, but these books are hard to put a value on. Many (actually quite a few) of the 1st printings, I have the only one or two on the CGC census. I don't know why Fantagraphics used this type of staple for this size of magazine, but it is hard to find these books without rust on them. I preserve what I have with desiccant gel packets, but after 35-40 years, much of the damage has been done. I do have a lot of L&R and Epic raw and graded to put in a sales thread.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:39 PM, Ron C. said:

I would have done a Love and Rockets sales thread sooner, but these books are hard to put a value on. Many (actually quite a few) of the 1st printings, I have the only one or two on the CGC census. I don't know why Fantagraphics used this type of staple for this size of magazine, but it is hard to find these books without rust on them. I preserve what I have with desiccant gel packets, but after 35-40 years, much of the damage has been done. I do have a lot of L&R and Epic raw and graded to put in a sales thread.

Let us know once you put the sale up.   What are you planning on offloading?

On 4/20/2022 at 5:39 PM, Ron C. said:

I haven't checked the staples on mine in a couple of years, I'll need to dig them out and give them a look. I had a complete set of all things Los Bros back in the day (minus the b&w #1, which I've never owned), and it was all lost in the great sell off about 20 years or so ago. Since then, I've been slowly piecing the run back together, kicked off when I bought a friend's collection about five years ago, and he had a large chunk of their work. Pretty much all of the post Volume 1 minis and follow ups, plus V2, etc.  I think right now I'm only missing a 3rd print of #1, and then 10 or so random issues between 2 and 24. But you're absolutely right on pricing, it's very difficult. I've never bought L&R in slabs, but raw, the prices are all over the place. $5. $50. Depending on condition and how often they come up, asking prices are everywhere. 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:56 PM, F For Fake said:

I haven't checked the staples on mine in a couple of years, I'll need to dig them out and give them a look. I had a complete set of all things Los Bros back in the day (minus the b&w #1, which I've never owned), and it was all lost in the great sell off about 20 years or so ago. Since then, I've been slowly piecing the run back together, kicked off when I bought a friend's collection about five years ago, and he had a large chunk of their work. Pretty much all of the post Volume 1 minis and follow ups, plus V2, etc.  I think right now I'm only missing a 3rd print of #1, and then 10 or so random issues between 2 and 24. But you're absolutely right on pricing, it's very difficult. I've never bought L&R in slabs, but raw, the prices are all over the place. $5. $50. Depending on condition and how often they come up, asking prices are everywhere. 

I will likely be offering one or both of these 3rd printing copies. I would still have one of the existing 9.4s for my collection.

LR 1 3rd combined 92 60.jpg

On 4/21/2022 at 1:56 PM, F For Fake said:

But you're absolutely right on pricing, it's very difficult. I've never bought L&R in slabs, but raw, the prices are all over the place. $5. $50. Depending on condition and how often they come up, asking prices are everywhere. 

As I've been following them over the last few years, aside from the earliest issues, most can be had for $5 if you're patient. 

On 4/21/2022 at 3:54 PM, SuperBird said:

As I've been following them over the last few years, aside from the earliest issues, most can be had for $5 if you're patient. 

I was giving away a lot of my raw duplicates on the Los Bros Hernandez FB site throughout last year. Higher grade copies (of the first printing) are tougher to find though.

On 4/21/2022 at 3:52 PM, Ron C. said:

I will likely be offering one or both of these 3rd printing copies. I would still have one of the existing 9.4s for my collection.

LR 1 3rd combined 92 60.jpg

I’ve looked at this cover Bolland art for 40 years almost?   And it still knocks me out how good he is.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:32 AM, Wolverinex said:

Do you know what's the print run of the 1st and later prints?

The self published (B&W) #1 from 1981 had an 800 print run. I have not found the print runs for The Fantagraphics editions though. 

On 4/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, Wolverinex said:

Dang, I really want to know what the print run is for the 1st print Fantagraphics..

If you find out, please let me know. I will ask around though.