• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

Received this copy of Battle-front 24 recently and finally had time to scan some of Maquis, an astounding job by Anderson. I was flipping through the book after receiving it and it threw me on the floor as soon as I saw this 6-pager. Anderson at his best working tirelessly to actually overdo it considering the repro quality of the mag. I like it so much so that I will show you one page in full but it's each individual panel that is superb. I know I can get overly excited but this is truly a great job from Anderson.

Incredible artwork. :applause:

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

I know absolutely nothing about Harry Anderson. I'll have to seek out some biographical info about him.

Is there anything online that you'd recommend?

Received this copy of Battle-front 24 recently and finally had time to scan some of Maquis, an astounding job by Anderson. I was flipping through the book after receiving it and it threw me on the floor as soon as I saw this 6-pager. Anderson at his best working tirelessly to actually overdo it considering the repro quality of the mag. I like it so much so that I will show you one page in full but it's each individual panel that is superb. I know I can get overly excited but this is truly a great job from Anderson.

I know absolutely nothing about Harry Anderson. I'll have to seek out some biographical info about him.

I'm not aware of anything significant written about him. He's another comic artist who peaked in the 50s and did not contribute significantly after the advent of the code. Much of his best work was done for Atlas, with war and horror probably his best genres.

Battlefront19.jpg

Harry Anderson was a devout Seventh Day Adventist who turned to religious painting in later life...I know we discussed him about a year ago - maybe even in your thread BZ!

there are plenty of his pictures on Google, and an entry in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Anderson_%28artist%29

It is the lack of mention of his work for comics that is most noticeable!

anders3.jpg

00026xl.jpg

Edited by alanna

:applause: That's one on my want list ... but I don't see myself buying one any time soon :sorry:

On the other hand, I'm happy with this one from Donut off eBay. I bought it b/c ... it was published once lol It's crazy to be a collector. Also, this one has an Everett war job inside and I like to collect Everett's work wherever it was published.

I noticed (maybe mistakenly) the other day that Harrison's faces at times recall Everett's.

This is truly the first issue of Combat Casey as the title took over from War Combat. War Combat # 5, the last issue under that title, saw the first appearance of Combat Casey. Ca-Ripes!

119773.jpg.1c9ce7b076e1e5a81b407d5a5829f99b.jpg

.....bidding got stiff on that one....congrats. I, too, love those 50's Subbys. That one has that cool Ice King story. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. While on the subject of Atlas books, it would be nice if someone could share the www.atlastales.com website with OSPG. They really need to update much of that era. I really like some of the Anderson stuff you folks post and a lot of it is uncredited.

Looks like a whole lotta fun Maneely in that one! I just picked up Snafu 1 & 2 which are chock full of his humor stuff.

How hard are the Snafus to find? I've never seen one but they've been added to my Want List recently.

Someone posted a pic of this book on the boards about a year and a half ago and I loved it. Managed to pick one up a few months back after watching all the auction sites closely for it. Low grade but I'm happy I was able to find an affordable copy.

JourneyIntoUnknownWorlds_26.jpg

Nice pickup on the Journey #26! (thumbs u

Back on the Crazys and Snafus -- I just noticed this Amazon listing for a compilation of the best stories from all the various 1950s Mad clones and takeoffs. Looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Sincerest-Form-Parody-Inspired-Satirical/dp/1606995111/ref=pd_rhf_ee_shvl3

Someone posted a pic of this book on the boards about a year and a half ago and I loved it. Managed to pick one up a few months back after watching all the auction sites closely for it. Low grade but I'm happy I was able to find an affordable copy.

JourneyIntoUnknownWorlds_26.jpg

Great Anderson cover, and the later issues of that title were left out of the Gerber for some reason, so it was one i was unfamiliar with until that posting as well. Very creepy!

I didn't even pay attention to who the artist was for the cover on the Journey 26 until today. Looked at that Atlas site jimbo posted a few replies up and now realize that I love all the Anderson covers for the title. Wasn't planning on trying to take on the run and figured the 26 was a one off. Now I'm thinking I have a few other Journey's to pick up.

Looks like a whole lotta fun Maneely in that one! I just picked up Snafu 1 & 2 which are chock full of his humor stuff.

How hard are the Snafus to find? I've never seen one but they've been added to my Want List recently.

I honestly can't say. I just saw them pop up on ebay and nabbed them both for under a hundred bucks IIRC. Seemed way too cheap for what they were. I recall seeing Pussycat a lot more than Snafu, but I don't know if that's just recognition bias.

I didn't even pay attention to who the artist was for the cover on the Journey 26 until today. Looked at that Atlas site jimbo posted a few replies up and now realize that I love all the Anderson covers for the title. Wasn't planning on trying to take on the run and figured the 26 was a one off. Now I'm thinking I have a few other Journey's to pick up.

:acclaim: