• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

Someone posted a pic of this book on the boards about a year and a half ago and I loved it. Managed to pick one up a few months back after watching all the auction sites closely for it. Low grade but I'm happy I was able to find an affordable copy.

JourneyIntoUnknownWorlds_26.jpg

Great Anderson cover, and the later issues of that title were left out of the Gerber for some reason, so it was one i was unfamiliar with until that posting as well. Very creepy!

Still kicking myself for now bidding higher on a couple file copies in 7.0 grade for this issue and #27 when Comicconnect had them running last month. Two great vampire covers that are impossible to find in high grade.

Received this one recently. Probably overpaid for the condition but I have been chasing a copy of that particular book for a while.

It also is the one Atlas War that pushes me exactly over 50% of the complete Atlas War. Only 271 books to go :P

120442.jpg.0ff9c883659aab3aa6eac5179c974d98.jpg

Extraordinary cover by Heath -- the open eye of the dead soldier in the LR foreground is disconcerting.

Extraordinary cover by Heath -- the open eye of the dead soldier in the LR foreground is disconcerting.

Reminiscent of the cover to Blackhawk 55.

I was reminded of that cover as well. The original art for B55 exists and was on sale at a SD Con a long time ago. It's a much more effective image in b&w.

http://www.comics.org/issue/9870/cover/4/

Turns out I had saved an image of the cover.

blackhawkcrandall.jpg

Neat :) Thanks for finding it and posting it.

The wait for Battle # 26 was well worth it to get 4 solid stories inside.

The first story is amazing just for the fact that it exists. Right there, just a few months after the end of the Korean conflict comes this story aimed to remind the American people that the conflict was necessary, that the effort was worthwhile and that the victory was real. A mainline company trying to promote a political agenda (as uncontroversial as this one is) today would experience such backlash that its PR machine might not recover. Of course, I would have to check the timing of this story knowing that Atlas has had one of his war comics pulled from the PX at bases.

This is also a guess the artist post. The main clue for this one is the bottom left panel.

Battle26-FirstStory-Page.jpg

The second story covers the life of Rommel as narrated by one of his aides. The twist of the story is that it's the aide who ends up shooting him dead on the next to last panel. Another neat feature is that the artist avoids showing us Rommel and Rommel's face in particular throughout the entire story. The main character is only revealed in the last panel, his face all bloodied from the bullets he just received.

I really like this artist now that I have seen a lot of his under-rated work in the Atlas war line. He is an old-school guy.

Battle26-SecondStory-Page.jpg

The third story recounts the episode of WW I where the Parisian taxicabs were requisitioned (is that an English word?) to bring back troops to the front when Paris and la Marne was threatened by a major German push, hence the "Les taxis de la Marne" name to the incident.

We've already sung the praises of this artist on the boards. The coloring on this page wants to be dramatic but it actually detracts from the pencil work.

Battle26-ThirdStory-Page.jpg

The last story recounts the struggle of the Norwegian underground, a topic close to me as I recently finished Billy Boyle, a historical fiction taking place in England as the US, British and Norwegian forces were planned Operation Jupiter, a phantom offensive who led the Germans to overstock Norway and moved divisions away from the actual action and weakened German's resistance to attack.

The artist is not as easily recognizable nor is this page a good representation of his typical style but we have good sleuth on the boards. No looking it up online either.

Battle26-FourthStory-Page.jpg

Romita, Reinman, Anderson, Heath?

That's a super-charged set of Atlas stories. :cloud9:

The coloring on the Anderson story is bizarre. :screwy:

Yes, requisitioned is an English word.

Yup, Yup, Yup and no ... Yes, it's Romita before he got better at faces (and it's signed) so is Reinman's story and, of course, Anderson is so easily recognizable. Last story is credited tentatively to Roth at Atlas Tales. Roth is typically known for square jaws to his characters. No square jaws on the splash but he reserved squared jaws for fictional characters (Lorna, Apache Kid, ...). Here he was going for more photo-realism so it's hard to see if it is him. It's definitely not Heath though, esp. if you'd seen the other pages.

I was a bit iffy on Heath but I do think Roth was probably trying to imitate him. He did a good job on that splash panel.

Heath can definitely draw a Tiger tank better than the one in the last panel and the soldier next to the tank is not a Heath figure.