• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,317 posts in this topic

Might have to look for it despite the big code stamp.

Big codes! :cloud9:

And while we're on the topic of great Atlas books, this one has a lineup that's hard to beat...

Heath cover, with Davis, Crandall, Baker, Wildey, and a Williamson text story!

120548.jpg

Fantastic cover! I'd not seen that before.

Might have to look for it despite the big code stamp.

Big codes! :cloud9:

I was just thinking...it would have been funny if MAD (magazine) had reversed the code stamp - make the stamp the entire cover and the cover the size of the code stamp. hee hee~

I'm looking for young men from 18 to 27.

:eek:

:facepalm::roflmao:

(shrug) ... it could be innocent. Maybe he just needs help with mowing the lawn, doing some trim work, or cleaning the gutter......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Received this one recently. Probably overpaid for the condition but I have been chasing a copy of that particular book for a while.

It also is the one Atlas War that pushes me exactly over 50% of the complete Atlas War. Only 271 books to go :P

I was sure I had a copy of this book, and sure enough I do....its about a 7.5. That cover has kind of grown on me.

It's not an easy winner of a cover, unlike the Heath Western that Buttock posted (fantastic cover) but the horror of it sinks in slowly and puts it on top but, yes, visually at first, it is awkward.

Can you post the book? :wishluck:

More Zeppelin talk. I just received Battlefront # 13 with a story titled: Zeppelin! so right away I scanned but the book was afraid of the scanner so the cover popped off the staples :cry:

Here's a link to the history of Zeppelin raid over England during WWI:

Bombers Zeppelins

The story depiction is fairly accurate to the historical writing. Reading over the article, it seems that the bombing was fairly inaccurate (but they never were even in WWII as we saw elsewhere earlier in the year). To wit, "the most successful raid [..] on London in the entire war was on the 8th of September 1915. This raid caused more than half a million pounds of damage, almost all of it from the one Zeppelin, the L13, which managed to bomb central London. This single raid caused more than half the material damage caused by all the raids against Britain in 1915" and the listed casualty count for each raid was low. This does not take away the anguish it may have caused and certainly the feeling of helplessness as showcased in the bottom panels of the story's splash.

Incendiary bullets were indeed the answer: "Towards mid 1916 the British planes were armed with a mixture of explosive and incendiary bullets. This mixture would prove to be deadly to the airships: the explosive bullets could pierce the Zeppelin's tough outer skin and cause leaks on the inner gas bags. The incendiary bullets could set those leaks on fire, and once on fire a Zeppelin was doomed.

William Leefe-Robinson, flying a BE2c, was the first to shoot down a dirigible over Britain, on the 2nd of September, 1916. The massive fire of the burning airship was visible for over a hundred miles. This was during a raid of twelve naval airships which were, somewhat unusually, accompanied by four army airships. Leefe-Robinson became an instant hero. He survived the war, only to die a month later in the influenza epidemic."

Still, the article recounts that some Zeps were down by regular flyers without the help of the bullet. In one story, the flyer actually bombed the Zep to bring it down!

The artist on the story is Ed Moline. The story is signed.

120718.jpg.e5a58f73a1a337abf9c640c069cacddc.jpg

120719.jpg.0928eea02beed46703609f7d7529c923.jpg

120720.jpg.46f373a3d75883852b1ee637fb04b4c6.jpg

More Zeppelin talk. I just received Battlefront # 13 with a story titled: Zeppelin! so right away I scanned but the book was afraid of the scanner so the cover popped off the staples :cry:

Here's a link to the history of Zeppelin raid over England during WWI:

Bombers Zeppelins

The story depiction is fairly accurate to the historical writing. Reading over the article, it seems that the bombing was fairly inaccurate (but they never were even in WWII as we saw elsewhere earlier in the year). To wit, "the most successful raid [..] on London in the entire war was on the 8th of September 1915. This raid caused more than half a million pounds of damage, almost all of it from the one Zeppelin, the L13, which managed to bomb central London. This single raid caused more than half the material damage caused by all the raids against Britain in 1915" and the listed casualty count for each raid was low. This does not take away the anguish it may have caused and certainly the feeling of helplessness as showcased in the bottom panels of the story's splash.

Incendiary bullets were indeed the answer: "Towards mid 1916 the British planes were armed with a mixture of explosive and incendiary bullets. This mixture would prove to be deadly to the airships: the explosive bullets could pierce the Zeppelin's tough outer skin and cause leaks on the inner gas bags. The incendiary bullets could set those leaks on fire, and once on fire a Zeppelin was doomed.

William Leefe-Robinson, flying a BE2c, was the first to shoot down a dirigible over Britain, on the 2nd of September, 1916. The massive fire of the burning airship was visible for over a hundred miles. This was during a raid of twelve naval airships which were, somewhat unusually, accompanied by four army airships. Leefe-Robinson became an instant hero. He survived the war, only to die a month later in the influenza epidemic."

Still, the article recounts that some Zeps were down by regular flyers without the help of the bullet. In one story, the flyer actually bombed the Zep to bring it down!

The artist on the story is Ed Moline. The story is signed.

Not the best artwork but the historical accuracy and highlighting of lesser known but interesting events is big part of the attraction of Atlas war comics. Thanks for sharing the scans!

Book has the extraordinary luck peculiarity of starting with a 5-pager by Everett.

Fixed that for you :angel: