• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,321 posts in this topic

Great books!

That AIWW 3 is just :luhv:

It is a beaut. What's amazing is I probably only paid $75.00 or so for it back in 1987. I sold off a large portion of my Atlas collection around 2000, but glad I held on to that one!!!

Great books!

That AIWW 3 is just :luhv:

It is a beaut. What's amazing is I probably only paid $75.00 or so for it back in 1987. I sold off a large portion of my Atlas collection around 2000, but glad I held on to that one!!!

It's been 15 years, time to let it go. To me. :sumo:

I haven't been looking for Atlas for long but it doesn't seem like early JIMs come to market very often. Assuming high grade copies, what are the 5 scarcest and/or most valuable of the first 22 JIMs?

I haven't been looking for Atlas for long but it doesn't seem like early JIMs come to market very often. Assuming high grade copies, what are the 5 scarcest and/or most valuable of the first 22 JIMs?

In terms of value we are going to have a better idea when the CC auction ends aren't we?

Well yes, obviously those results will help but there seems to be a disproportional (more than normal) premium being paid on higher grade (say higher than 6.0) books. So some of the JIMs in the CC auction (1, 5, 8, 9, 11, etc) don't really have a fighting chance. I guess I'm really asking which books are the hardest to get ahold of in any condition.

Well yes, obviously those results will help but there seems to be a disproportional (more than normal) premium being paid on higher grade (say higher than 6.0) books. So some of the JIMs in the CC auction (1, 5, 8, 9, 11, etc) don't really have a fighting chance. I guess I'm really asking which books are the hardest to get ahold of in any condition.

To answer your original question, 5 seems to be far and away the most difficult to find in any type of reasonable shape. I'm not aware of a copy better than FN+ or so, and miswraps seem to be very common. Highest CGC graded is 5.5. I imagine there may be a pedigreed copy or two out there, but they haven't popped up in the usual places. Every other issue from 1-10 shows a copy in 8.5 or better, with the exception of 9 (7.5 and only 2 above FN) and 6 (7.5, but 7 in 6.0 or better). Given the demand for 5, it's pretty remarkable to not see at least one semi-decent copy pop up.

There is always a premium for high grade copies of pre-code Atlas the prices you are seeing in the current auction are typical/expected.

If your referring to why JIM 6 & 7 are being bid up more than other issues - in simplest terms it is because (among other things) the Everett covers are in greater demand.

I don't think any one JIM issue is rarer than any other per se, but some are obviously much more coveted than others and so they appear less frequently and when they do show up they are low grade, which is why this auction is so great - here you have a chance to pick from a number of books that rarely ever come up for auction in such high grade.

I didn't discover Atlas PCH until my Everett original art habit overflowed into Atlas Everett comics - never made it my top priority, except for Venus, but happy I picked some Everett Atlas up when I saw them.

From the Top 10 list published here, I have his Venus books, Menace 5, and Spellbound 17 (beat copy)...watching them more closely now but they are now quite pricey!

:gossip:

I just met my pal Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr and he told me that he just send his set of Atlas/Pre-Hero books to Heritage. Complete set minus 5 books, mostly low grade. But still....

:gossip:

I just met my pal Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr and he told me that he just send his set of Atlas/Pre-Hero books to Heritage. Complete set minus 5 books, mostly low grade. But still....

Sad to hear this, in a way. He's been working on these forever and I hate to think of the "empty nest" syndrome that he will likely experience. RICK STAR reminded me of a few I'd not thought of..... and some are even on my Atlas "short list".... like AIWW 25 and JIM 16........an 8.0 JIM 16 would easily rocket into the 2K+ Club at auction. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Recent posts from all are outstanding. Urge to buy Atlas PCH rising!!!!!!

It wouldn't hurt to add a few to your "GA Index Fund"..... pick a favorite from each of the titles and diversify..... GOD BLESS...

Recent posts from all are outstanding. Urge to buy Atlas PCH rising!!!!!!

It wouldn't hurt to add a few to your "GA Index Fund"..... pick a favorite from each of the titles and diversify..... GOD BLESS...

I do have a few on my gargantuan PCH list but they are not a focus. That Astonishing 30 makes me want to make them a focus.