• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

...... BTW, it's nice to see you posting here..... I'm curious about your Atlas holdings .....

It's not the most extensive collection, but the ones I do have are nice. I've posted them earlier in this thread but, since even I know not where anymore, here again are scans of the other Atlas Western comics in my collection:

OutlawKid.jpg

KidColtOutlaw70.jpg

KidColtOutlaw71.jpg

And here are scans of my entire collection of Atlas Jungle comics:

LornatheJungleGirl.jpg

JungleAction.jpg

And here's a scan of my collection of Atlas War comics:

CombatKelly.jpg

God willing I'll add to my small accumulation of Atlas titles in these and other genres over the next two or three decades....

(shrug)

That's an awesome group of books! I really like the Maneely cover for Outlaw Kid 15. (thumbs u

..... wow.....some really dull representation of color..... I guess you get what you pay for. This next one I did some editing before save and it's much more acceptable. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Scan.jpg

I think I already mentioned that I like this book a lot when you posted it earlier. The Severin cover is amazing! :cloud9:

So here's a toughie for you - Joe Maneely or John Severin? Which fellow's covers do you prefer?

???

Too tough to choose for me....as each has such a different approach. The best Severin covers are often unbeatable IMHO..... BUT Maneely has that certain something that just defies a preconceived notion of what a cover should be. GOD BLESS....

..... is it just me, or does the Lorna seem to have at least a Ralph Mayo ink job ?

Too tough to choose for me....

Well here's another toughie for you since you're reluctant to handle the first one. Where's the dividing line between Timely and Atlas? I wouldn't want to commit a faux pas and post any Timely comics in an Atlas thread you see....

???

....that one is almost impossible. My first instinct is to say 1950 for simplicity's sake..... but there are the 1948 debuts of Kid Colt and Two Gun Kid and the 1949 premiere of Marvel Tales to contend with. I think when some of the covers began to spot the "A Marvel Comics" globe the Timely imprint was beginning to be shed. If I HAD to choose, it would probably be 1949 and the Marvel Tales era for a rough beginning.... I just can't, in good conscience, call that title "Timely". GOD BLESS...

...... BTW, it's nice to see you posting here..... I'm curious about your Atlas holdings .....

It's not the most extensive collection, but the ones I do have are nice. I've posted them earlier in this thread but, since even I know not where anymore, here again are scans of the other Atlas Western comics in my collection:

God willing I'll add to my small accumulation of Atlas titles in these and other genres over the next two or three decades....

(shrug)

That's an awesome group of books! I really like the Maneely cover for Outlaw Kid 15. (thumbs u

+1

..... wow.....some really dull representation of color..... I guess you get what you pay for. This next one I did some editing before save and it's much more acceptable. GOD BLESS...

Scan.jpg

I think I already mentioned that I like this book a lot when you posted it earlier. The Severin cover is amazing! :cloud9:

+1

So here's a toughie for you - Joe Maneely or John Severin? Which fellow's covers do you prefer?

???

They are both awesome, really.

But if I was forced to choose, I would have to say Maneely. There is just so much depth to his characterizations - something raw, visceral, gritty, not to mention that truly unique style. He is just wow.

Scan.jpg

+1

.... I listed my undercopy in a sales thread a while back and was surprised when no one wanted it. It was almost as nice as this one.... and the interiors with Crandall, Morrow, and Wildey made for what I thought would be a sure sale...... these Atlas books are hard to peg sometimes. I'll often see a book on eBay and don't bid.... assuming I can't afford it and it ends up cheap.... and then another that I think is going to be a slam dunk ends up going ballistic. Once a week or so I check out "Sold" listings on eBay...and it seems all genres do well in G/VG or so...... folks out there are still collecting to read 'em :cloud9: They really are fun to collect..... if you're patient. TopNotch has a lot of really neat ones available...... as does Metropolis. It would probably be nearly impossible to collect this publisher without the internet. GOD BLESS...

...that's a superb example. Maneely was kind of like the Schomburg of the Atomic Age..... GOD BLESS...

I agree jimbo, exactly. Scans are coming through beautifully by the way. :applause:

.... hopefully I can add some more over the Holidays..... can't beat a scan for showing the cut of a book.... I just wish they did a better job of capturing gloss. What's your Kid Colt 59 (I think...) look like ? As I recall, it has one of my favorite Severin covers ... GOD BLESS..

.... hopefully I can add some more over the Holidays..... can't beat a scan for showing the cut of a book.... I just wish they did a better job of capturing gloss. What's your Kid Colt 59 (I think...) look like ? As I recall, it has one of my favorite Severin covers ... GOD BLESS..

#59 is a Severin, and a sweet one at that............................

photo kidcolt59cgc65_zpse875f842.jpg

#59 is a Severin, and a sweet one at that............................

photo kidcolt59cgc65_zpse875f842.jpg

..... that's the one ! (worship) and a Williamson story inside :cloud9: ....and at a grade a 'Po boy can aspire to...........GOD BLESS...

:takeit:

???

That's not an easy question to answer. I like Severin a lot, but my I might be influenced by his EC work, especially the stories he did with Elder. But I am not crazy about his sole work when he took over as an editor for Two-Fisted tales.

I also like some of his post Atlas works a lot.

Joe Maneely did some amazing stuff for the PCH titles. I would have loved to see what his work would have evolved into, but he sadly died way to young.

If we stick to the Atlas works of both artist I would have to say that I favor Serevin's western and Maneely's PCH art but there are some exceptions.

Scan.jpg

+1

.... I listed my undercopy in a sales thread a while back and was surprised when no one wanted it. It was almost as nice as this one.... and the interiors with Crandall, Morrow, and Wildey made for what I thought would be a sure sale...... these Atlas books are hard to peg sometimes. I'll often see a book on eBay and don't bid.... assuming I can't afford it and it ends up cheap.... and then another that I think is going to be a slam dunk ends up going ballistic. Once a week or so I check out "Sold" listings on eBay...and it seems all genres do well in G/VG or so...... folks out there are still collecting to read 'em :cloud9: They really are fun to collect..... if you're patient. TopNotch has a lot of really neat ones available...... as does Metropolis. It would probably be nearly impossible to collect this publisher without the internet. GOD BLESS...

Drop me a PM if you still have the book for sale. The thing is that I need to buy multiple books because the shipping cost to Europe is to high for just a single book.

I stopped buying on ebay a long time ago, to many deceptions. I don't even know my handle and password anymore and changed my e-mail address years ago. If I decided to start buying there again I would have to start from scratch....

Edited by gojira

???

That's not an easy question to answer.

So I looked through a couple of the Atlas Western runs on Comic Vine myself yesterday and that indeed is not an easy question to answer. Noting the covers that grabbed me the most, they turned out to be a mixture of Maneely, Severin and even Carl Burgos covers.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat