• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I was recalling how Doc V., Atlas indexer, described how he got better at artist IDs. He would photocopy artist's work and put them in a binder so he'd have Artist A's work collected in chronological order in the binder. This is really helpful in noticing changes in styles or changes due to inker variability.

As I am now more actively working on finishing the Atlas War books, I run again in Robert Q. Sale's work, esp. in the many Combat Casey stories he did.

I won't create a binder but the idea is very appealing. The starting would though first to find where all his work appeared. We can thank both Jerry Bails (& Hames Ware, etc) for the info in the Who's Who - http://www.bailsprojects.com/bio.aspx?Name=SALE%2c+ROBERT

Sale was active from 1944 to 1958, a 14-year career before he moved on to advertising, another victim of the great exodus of the later '50's. Sadly, he passed on too young in 1962, aged 38.

I followed that with a GCD search for his work. Most of his work under his known pseudos are listed under his "actual" name (who wasn't Sale but Siegel turns out) [Note: as a dunce, I forgot to run a search under his pen names ... but I am not going back now]

The advantage of running these searches is to discover work from your favorite artists you wouldn't otherwise think of. I am thinking about Everett's Love Diary Romance work or Maneely's work for Prize, etc.

Here's where Sale worked during his career - (or at least, the work that's been IDed) -

Sale%20Publisher%20Split%20Cropped_zpsebp8o2yr.jpg

His association with Marvel was the longest lasting and were he was most prolific.

In all, he produced 1,601 pages of art with a mere 8 covers. Combat Casey and Penny alone account for 432 and 55 pages each, a combined 30% of his output. Or rather, his Combat Casey work only accounts for 30% of his work, so much is left unexplored.

His work (or maybe, his signed work) picked up once he joined Marvel -

Sale%20Annual%20Output%20Cropped_zpscvxxaxaa.jpg

The annual data hide some fairly long drought, esp, in 1949 and 1950 once we look at the monthly output -

Sale%20Monthly%20Output%20Cropper_zpsiks2vw1j.jpg

In 1950 / 1951 before Stan starts using him extensively is when he freelanced aggressively across many publishers: Lev Gleason crime books, Youthful, Hillman, Fox, P.L., etc. But once Marvel takes him in, he goes almost exclusive, rarely picking up any freelance gig.

Now, I am starting to take advantage of the DCM to go back and look at his early work on Crime does not pay for Lev Gleason or his recurring feature Candid Charlie for Novelty Press that totaled over 100 pages, IF it's the same artist, his work is vastly different than his Atlas work. Time permitting, I'll post about 2 pages per year from 1944 to 1958 so as to create a virtual binder on Sale.

Meanwhile, the advantage of having this data is that 1) we've know about some large trends but it's also nice to see it as a case study for one artist and we can discern more subtle changes this way and 2) it lets me finally check and confirm what I'd noticed: as time went on the stories in the Marvel books became shorter. Just an idea but now, I know. Sale's average job length, esp. in the later period when he is Atlas exclusive do decline in length. Glad to see my impression validated by data.

Sale%20Average%20Story%20Page%20Count%20Cropped_zps1oizjqoa.jpg

You forgot to include a Nerd-alert at the start of your post :baiting:

This is a good topic and worthy of it's own separate thread. (thumbs u

The more you look at an artist's work the more you will be able to spot them in the wild.

Sale's average job length, esp. in the later period when he is Atlas exclusive do decline in length
You would first this true of all artists at Atlas as their editorial policy resulted in shorter stories across most all titles.

Sale's average job length, esp. in the later period when he is Atlas exclusive do decline in length
You would first this true of all artists at Atlas as their editorial policy resulted in shorter stories across most all titles.

Yes! It's as easy to see in a sample case as here as it is with the entire output. It's more fun focusing on one guy :)

/Nerd Alert

Yes! It's as easy to see in a sample case as here as it is with the entire output. It's more fun focusing on one guy :)

/Nerd Alert

I always liked Sale's comics work. Did not know he had such a short life. Thanks for sharing the data!

Not so fast to sign out, Nerd. Can you tell me what the heck is the difference between the Digital Comic Museum and Comic Book Plus? I start to get into it and my eyes glaze over. So confused!

Not sure of the details. BB_Gun or OtherEric ought to know more than I do about this but, my recollection is that the site started as the Golden Age Archives (or some such) and then internecine hoopla within their community and an outside need to change the structure of the site / delivery options of the content led to a schism in that community so the Archives were reborn a-twined with DCM and CBPlus living side-by-side with a core set of content that was common pre-split. I haven't looked too deep to see if each side mirrors the other content-wise. I also don't recall if one is hosted state-side while the other is across the pond. My mind typically sends me to the DCM and their preview function that allows quick access to interiors.

Slowly I'm training myself to actually see if the book has an interior I'd enjoy before buying it. These digital sites are an incredible resource.

Yep. Pulled me back from bidding on some Don Winslows last weekend for example.

Bringing this back on track. Another 1954 book down. AiWW # 26, luckily not one of the super-hot Atlas books so can still be acquired cheaply -

AiWW%2026_zpsfcuwq4lj.jpg

Here's the splash to the second story - That narration sounds soooo much like radio at the time, or, in fact, radio from some years before this. Still, an effective device in any medium.

AiWW%2026%20Story%202%20Splash_zps5gt27sr0.jpg

Really stoked about this one...... Big Apple copy with one of my favorite Kid Colt images..... by that legendary ink slinger, John Severin...... and it's not just a pretty cover, inside are stories by Keller, Mooney, Colan, and Torres :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

GUNSMOKE%20WESTERN%2043.jpg

Really stoked about this one...... Big Apple copy with one of my favorite Kid Colt images..... by that legendary ink slinger, John Severin...... and it's not just a pretty cover, inside are stories by Keller, Mooney, Colan, and Torres :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Nice color scheme on that one Jim. Is that a greytone cover? Almost missed his sig below the tree line. Sweet pickup! :applause:

Nice color scheme on that one Jim. Is that a greytone cover? Almost missed his sig below the tree line. Sweet pickup! :applause:

....it's pretty close...... but it also has the finished inking with cross hatching and such in the foreground..... usually a classic washtone has minimal inking, letting the colors(and the grays) do the talking. GOD BLESS...