• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Got these a little while ago - They round out the # 28 to complete the mini run of the final 3 issues of Man Comics featuring Bob Brant and the trouble shooters. I haven't found them easy to find -

IMG_20160125_0008_zpshacwp6pp.jpg

IMG_20160125_0007_zpsywm0bzxm.jpg

and here's the 28 to complete the set -

Man%20Comics%2028_zps9apldzzj.jpg

Love the #28. I have a copy in my horror box. Kinda reminds me of the Bobby Benson shrunken heads issue. The rest of the run just isn't my kind of thing.

Wow! Both great pickups. Especially like the Suspense. I feel like that series had some of the best covers during the Atlas PCH run.

.... and it had a nice chunk of 52 page phatties in the run when the rest of the Atlas line had dropped off to the pamphlet size so popular today. I would love to turn up a VF copy of #23 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Got these a little while ago - They round out the # 28 to complete the mini run of the final 3 issues of Man Comics featuring Bob Brant and the trouble shooters. I haven't found them easy to find -

IMG_20160125_0008_zpshacwp6pp.jpg

IMG_20160125_0007_zpsywm0bzxm.jpg

and here's the 28 to complete the set -

Man%20Comics%2028_zps9apldzzj.jpg

Love the #28. I have a copy in my horror box. Kinda reminds me of the Bobby Benson shrunken heads issue. The rest of the run just isn't my kind of thing.

I recall reading a detailed description of the Brant series somewhere and it sounded like a neat oddball run. The whole Man run is intriguing, but I've only read a couple of the war issues.

Or simply go to Pages 7 & 8 here -

Thanks. I realized what I remembered were the unusually detailed synopsis' in the GCD overview of each issue, which I must have read after seeing an issue on ebay and having my curiosity piqued.

A month later and that book would have had the Seal ... but then they quit on this and continue the horror books instead lol

Wasn't Maneely great! This could be a busy & confusing cover and yet he uses the central figure to block out the vignettes and changes the plane so effectively that it holds up together quite well.

Those are some nice reds & blinding white on this copy :applause:

A month later and that book would have had the Seal ... but then they quit on this and continue the horror books instead lol

Wasn't Maneely great! This could be a busy & confusing cover and yet he uses the central figure to block out the vignettes and changes the plane so effectively that it holds up together quite well.

Those are some nice reds & blinding white on this copy :applause:

Yes, indeed. Maneely is da man. MANeely!

Thanks guys, and yes, Maneely was great. I highly recommend the Joe Maneely issue of Alter Ego (#28) for those that haven't read it yet.

I didn't notice that issue was the last of the pre-codes. Looking at Mike's Amazing World, I see about 2/3 of that months Atlas issues had the Seal.

Since I am collecting the entire 1954 run, I always keep an eye out for those few issues in 1955 that end the Code era so I tend to be familiar with that part of Atlas's output.

Those 1/3rd issues you saw for March 1955 that didn't have the code tended to be those runs that were not running monthly.

For example, Justice was monthly up until July 1954 then went bi-monthly so the March 1955 issue was probably put out in January --> no Code seal.

Same for Mystic. That title went bi-monthly in July 1954 as well. The March 1955 doesn't carry the seal.

Patsy Walker had been bi-monthly since forever, no Code seal in March 1955.

Periodicity is a big deal when it comes to the Atlas output since it's not quite always consistent. Reminds me of the apparent double-shipping (yes, even back then) of both a March 1952 and a Spring 1952 issues of titles like Astonishing. There is # 9 - February, # 10 - March, # 11 - Spring and then # 12 - April.