• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,286 posts in this topic

Since I am collecting the entire 1954 run, I always keep an eye out for those few issues in 1955 that end the Code era so I tend to be familiar with that part of Atlas's output.

Those 1/3rd issues you saw for March 1955 that didn't have the code tended to be those runs that were not running monthly.

For example, Justice was monthly up until July 1954 then went bi-monthly so the March 1955 issue was probably put out in January --> no Code seal.

Same for Mystic. That title went bi-monthly in July 1954 as well. The March 1955 doesn't carry the seal.

Patsy Walker had been bi-monthly since forever, no Code seal in March 1955.

Periodicity is a big deal when it comes to the Atlas output since it's not quite always consistent. Reminds me of the apparent double-shipping (yes, even back then) of both a March 1952 and a Spring 1952 issues of titles like Astonishing. There is # 9 - February, # 10 - March, # 11 - Spring and then # 12 - April.

Interesting information, thanks.

I'm guessing Rawhide Kid #1 (March 1955) didn't have a Seal because it took the place of a discontinued bi-monthly (maybe Crime Fighters).

Edited by damonwad

Chris, this one's for you. I got inceptioned when you first posted it, last year I think. A simply outstanding Severin cover, everything about it works. I love it! :luhv:

TalesofJustice62fc_zps0apnvu3v.jpg

Very nice book Doc, strikingly beautiful cover. :applause:

Should probably post it in Robot-Mans Crime thread too.

Chris, this one's for you. I got inceptioned when you first posted it, last year I think. A simply outstanding Severin cover, everything about it works. I love it! :luhv:

...it's on my list of wants too..... great score, Doc. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...it's on my list of wants too..... great score, Doc. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:applause: One of my favorite Severin covers. I'm glad you got such a great looking copy.

I really like the cover but I have a hard time seeing it as a solo effort by Severin. In Severin's approach to scene design it's as if time is standing still whereas on this cover there's a sense of motion with the car speeding into the distance. That design is much more typical of Everret, as is the pose of the background couple.

Both of these artists took extra care with their inking, utilizing craftint and other specialty paper to enhance the image so their work is sometimes quite similar. Most likely they were influencing each other.

I think it likely Everett drew the cover or that Severin was deliberately imitating Everett or had an assist from him.

I finished a much needed Atlas inventory last night.

The vastness of the output by Atlas during the early '50's is hard to fathom for most. It's difficult to comprehend even though we do have solid numbers from the CGD or AtlasTales and other fan publications.

I counted I have 887 Atlas issues [447 Atlas War books + 154 non-War 1954 Atlas books + 286 other Atlas books]. While my books range to some post-Code issues, a quick check on AtlasTales shows 1,762 books published between January 1950 to April 1955 by Atlas (my preferred collecting range). So, I am clocking it turns out essentially @ 50%.

This is only said to highlight how amazing it is to hear about complete collections out there for this or any other publisher. The dedication and focus needed to achieve those is truly marvelous. Dr. Love also comes to mind with his focus on Romance. How complete are you, btw?

Back to finding more books ...

BUT, I was also able to update my lists with 26 books I had not recorded and I finally know which issues of, for example, Jungle Action and Jungle Tales I need. These 4-panel covers are so similar it's hard to remember which is which without an actual list.

I finished a much needed Atlas inventory last night.

The vastness of the output by Atlas during the early '50's is hard to fathom for most. It's difficult to comprehend even though we do have solid numbers from the CGD or AtlasTales and other fan publications.

I counted I have 887 Atlas issues [447 Atlas War books + 154 non-War 1954 Atlas books + 286 other Atlas books]. While my books range to some post-Code issues, a quick check on AtlasTales shows 1,762 books published between January 1950 to April 1955 by Atlas (my preferred collecting range). So, I am clocking it turns out essentially @ 50%.

This is only said to highlight how amazing it is to hear about complete collections out there for this or any other publisher. The dedication and focus needed to achieve those is truly marvelous. Dr. Love also comes to mind with his focus on Romance. How complete are you, btw?

Back to finding more books ...

That's a lot of really good reading!

In terms of publisher output for the 50s aren't Dell and the Atlas tops by far over the competition?

Dr. Love also comes to mind with his focus on Romance. How complete are you, btw?

Well, at the high tide point, out of a finite romance universe of 5,846 books I had 3,774 (Timely/Marvel/Atlas consisted of 556 issues, and I had 312.) Close enough for government work, as they say - and, in a world of limited resources, close enough for me. That number of 5,846 is my reckoning, btw - someone else might figger it differently.

My understanding is that at least one of these three people had completed the task at some point in their lives: Michelle Nolan, Jim Vadeboncoeur, or Dan Stevenson.

Whichever way you slice it, 3,774 is a mountain of Romance and having 312 of the T/M/A is impressive. It's amazing the amount of insights one gets simply from working towards the goal. I sure am glad you've been generous to tell us all about this ignored (though @ 5,846 books, how ignored it is is mind-boggling) corner of our universe.

Any thoughts about the Atlas Romances? Were they as inter-changeable as I tend to think about them? Were they thematic changes over time? I'd rather hear your view before I go cheat and see what Michelle has to say in her book.

Dr. Love also comes to mind with his focus on Romance. How complete are you, btw?

Well, at the high tide point, out of a finite romance universe of 5,846 books I had 3,774 (Timely/Marvel/Atlas consisted of 556 issues, and I had 312.) Close enough for government work, as they say - and, in a world of limited resources, close enough for me. That number of 5,846 is my reckoning, btw - someone else might figger it differently.

My understanding is that at least one of these three people had completed the task at some point in their lives: Michelle Nolan, Jim Vadeboncoeur, or Dan Stevenson.

Michelle found one of Dan's last wants at my table in Chicago a few years ago. It was fun when she phoned him from my booth.

Michelle found one of Dan's last wants at my table in Chicago a few years ago. It was fun when she phoned him from my booth.

Great moments in romance collecting history! Not surprising that it happened at a show, that's where Michelle did a lot of her buying over the years. A true completist, she cared not for condition particularly, pillaging the boxes for $1 romance. Or course she had a lot of other interests and those genres cost quite a bit more.

I believe Dan lives here in San Diego. You've met him, Gary?

Any thoughts about the Atlas Romances? Were they as inter-changeable as I tend to think about them? Were they thematic changes over time?

Not inter-changeable. Scrooge, I know you don't necessarily break it down this way, but from an artistic viewpoint there were sweeping changes as the titles moved from late GA to atomic and into silver. So photo-covers and then Chris Rule gave way to the Al Hartley era - and btw if you're a Hartley fan, his most beautiful work of all was his Atlas romance. This is also the period when Everett did some of his very few romance stories. Colletta eventually took over the whole show, and the imprint became the Colletta story. Finally the man who kicked it all off, Jack Kirby, takes a final romance bow in the pages of his fiercest competitor from the very beginning. Goodman had nothing but contempt and derision for this experimental genre when it began. More than likely it was personal, for Simon & Kirby had dared to leave the stable and create a hitherto unknown profit sharing agreement with a small nothing publisher Crestwood. Eisner acting up over the years was bad enough, now these two?

But I digress and I haven't really answered your question. Colletta brought in the thematic change. As I've written elsewhere, he somehow got the editorial mandate to show readers a joyous expression of relationship that apparently was part and parcel of the man and how he lived his life. He loved women, and it showed.

Dr.

Thanks!

I have relished checking out the Hartley Romance I saw in my boxes. I enjoy them more every year.

I have internalized (unconsciously?) your artistic vista in my preferred range of collecting. I tend to shy away from the 1948 to 1950 / 1951 offering, those mostly with photo covers b/c the interiors are inferior (this goes the same for Western & certainly Crime of that era) and stopping at the Code leaves me out of the main Colletta period. But, your points are great and I am glad I asked. It's this kind of clarity we can all gain from the experts (and I wish I had that same ability. Alas ...).

You mention Chris Rule. Isn't that also the Mike Sekowsky period? I tend to enjoy his work on Romance. Your opinion?