• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman vs Thor
2 2

226 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

No, he isn't. He literally jump-started the superhero comic genre.

That's the burden with evolution, things get better. They created a perfect Superhero, almost a robot by our standards

Batman for instance was human, he had to evolve

How can Superman evolve into anything?

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

All things equal, Zod actually could beat Superman

How could Zod, who just got super powers, defeat someone who had them all his life and was an expert?  Like in miracleman he was toast because miracle boy or whatever had been using his powers his whole life and miracleman just remembered he had them when he accidentally said kitoma.
In fact I suggest Zod would go insane from the sudden massive sensory input his brain never grew to handle.

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, kav said:

How could Zod, who just got super powers, defeat someone who had them all his life and was an expert?  Like in miracleman he was toast because miracle boy or whatever had been using his powers his whole life and miracleman just remebered he had them when he accidentally said kitoma.

When he mentions “all things being equal”.  I think he means, similar time with the power, experience, etc...

Clark would still win.  Why?  Because he’s Superman.  The character is not designed to lose.

6 minutes ago, Comixroc said:

When he mentions “all things being equal”.  I think he means, similar time with the power, experience, etc...

Clark would still win.  Why?  Because he’s Superman.  The character is not designed to lose.

And that is the problem with him

Same problem in reverse with warfare against zombies, the satisfaction of victory is moot when you destroy a mindless dolt

Same with Superman, the satisfaction of victory is moot because there is no threat of death, I don't think anyone truly believed he was dead in Death of Superman, and the book would have been far more impactful if he had been left dead

Batman at least has to think to win

Edited by Hollywood1892

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

And that is the problem with him

Same problem in reverse with warfare against zombies, the satisfaction of victory is moot when you destroy a mindless dolt

Same with Superman, the satisfaction of victory is moot because there is no threat of death

Holly you cant hate superman unless you read the silver age stories.  Those are the essence of the character.  And it was mostly puzzles he had to solve and clever twists not the marvel-style fist hammering action pages that became so dreary.

The number of fist fights superman engaged in in the silver age were minimal.  I can only think of one really, when he had no super powers and boxed lex luthor on alien planet.

DC writers had to be very clever creating stories where superman's powers werent the main factor in a story.  Marvel just went with the boring slugfests.

11 minutes ago, Zapper1313 said:

I blame some of DC's lame stories on their "let's draw a cover then make the writer incorporate it into the story" policy. What a dumb idea :facepalm:

Think of it like solving a complex puzzle.  And it's pretty ingenious to be able to do that.  
Anyone can write "So they slug it out for 5 pages"

DC tapped prolific top science fiction talent like edmond hamilton and otto binder to write these stories.  There is no way stan lee could have written a story just being shown some absurd cover.  That takes a different level of talent.

I think one thing that was over looked is that Superman has a weakness to any kind of magic... well as we all know that Thor's hammers power was created via magic/Odin.  So I would say all Thor would have to do is knock Superman down and lay his hammer on his chest Game Over

32 minutes ago, kav said:

The number of fist fights superman engaged in in the silver age were minimal.  I can only think of one really, when he had no super powers and boxed lex luthor on alien planet.

And this is my point.  Superman was not designed to be a fighter.  His strength and invulnerability made a fight with him impossible.  He was not supposed to fight.  But I think as time went on, and more characters were created, they needed to put him in a fight.  Physical conflicts could not be avoided.  But then the problem became “if he can’t be hurt, what do we do with him?”  That’s why they started to tone him down post Crisis.  

3 minutes ago, Zapper1313 said:

Then why did the stories suck so bad?

because they didnt.  and thats why DC outsold marvel.

5 minutes ago, Zapper1313 said:

I thought DC outsold Marvel because of the terrible distribution deal Marvel had to make with DC, limiting Marvel's title output?

No they outsold marvel even before that.

43 minutes ago, Zapper1313 said:

Then why did the stories suck so bad?

If you change this to 'why were the stories so absurd' I will agree 100%  I like the absurdity.  I roast em tho on my website making fun of the incredibly absurd DC SA stories.

16 hours ago, WEBHEAD said:

I think one thing that was over looked is that Superman has a weakness to any kind of magic... well as we all know that Thor's hammers power was created via magic/Odin.  So I would say all Thor would have to do is knock Superman down and lay his hammer on his chest Game Over

That was the point I raised.  At first, wielding a magic hammer and its magic lightning generation, later retconned to be super-science, a hammer created in a neutron star and science-based lightning generation.

That leads to the question, where's the transition point, or phase, between Superman's vulnerability to magic and his invulnerability to science-based attacks, either an easy or hard target for Thor?  

And, the complication is Arthur C Clarke's observation that sufficiently advanced technology can be indistinguishable from magic, and basically the same phenomenon.

Okay, back to playing Elder Scrolls.  

Edited by Ken Aldred