• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's PREDATOR: PREY directed by Dan Trachtenberg (2022)
5 5

372 posts in this topic

Prey indeed puts a new twist on the Predator series by going back in time to imagine a member of The Predator’s species encountering humans in a relatively primitive setting. This seems like a straightforward enough premise, but in fact there are some misconceptions in the public eye about what Prey is actually trying to accomplish, at least in the opinion of the film’s director Trachtenberg. Speaking to SFX Magazine (via Bloody Disgusting), Trachtenberg spoke about these misunderstandings and clarified how the movie actually connects to the rest of the Predator series:

"I want to specifically say this, because I think there’s been some confusion how people have understood: in my mind, this is not a prequel movie, this isn’t, ‘Let’s tell the origin of the Predator.’ This is really something that’s set prior to the original Predator movie. And the Predator creature in this one, this is its first time traveling to Earth.”

Well they got that right at least

We don't need a origin story

Just like with Aliens, we did NOT need an origin story for them 

In fact, create me a movie with an ambiguous title, make it a sci fi horror, then near the end, the baddie is either a Pred or Alien

You can recreate the intensity of the first Alien and Predator films without a reveal, then BAM. Final showdown with protagonist 

Yeah, its been done, but thats what these characters were created for. Ultimate killing machines and humanity's ability to overcome 

It would be silly to have Native American's in an Predator origin story.  With their technology we'd have to go back thousands of years...not decades/hundred.

***It never once crossed my mind it would be an origin story

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Bad Spelling

On 7/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

I disagree. Which means now we must perform the Klingon Bat'leth challenge to the death.

:flamethrower:

But seriously, recognizing mankind was advancing and predators had been visiting the planet it fits the mold. Just like AVP where they were grooming aliens in order to prove their warrior skills. So seeing mankind expand its capabilities, the predator culture would see this as a challenge in progress. And from time to time, try out the period's warriors as an experiment in advancement.

Now - back to our challenge... 

tumblr_nriij4SLft1trbh6do1_400.gifv.gif.73d1f9be061d83003b19c39c7eafabd2.gif

Careful. Don't make me post an Indiana Jones (ROTLA) gif.

On 7/20/2022 at 2:33 PM, darkstar said:

Worked for the original

The OG had weapons and if your talking about the last part where Dutch used arrows he also used grenades and quite a few traps that you had to be pretty strong to rig up. He was also a special forces green beret. Alot different then a 5 ft 2 105 lb Native American woman who couldn't take out a bear. The premise for this movie is terrible. Cowboys and Aliens was a bit different because they used cowboys who actually had guns.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:58 PM, Mmanick said:

The OG had weapons and if your talking about the last part where Dutch used arrows he also used grenades and quite a few traps that you had to be pretty strong to rig up. He was also a special forces green beret. Alot different then a 5 ft 2 105 lb Native American woman who couldn't take out a bear. The premise for this movie is terrible. Cowboys and Aliens was a bit different because they used cowboys who actually had guns.

History is filled with the civilization with better technology losing on the battlefield. The predator in the first movie was literally defeated by sticks and stones and was about to be killed by a rock smash to the head. Unless you prefer weaponized autism this movie looks magnitudes better than any other big screen attempt at the predator beyond the first one. 

On 7/20/2022 at 4:19 PM, darkstar said:

History is filled with the civilization with better technology losing on the battlefield. The predator in the first movie was literally defeated by sticks and stones and was about to be killed by a rock smash to the head. Unless you prefer weaponized autism this movie looks magnitudes better than any other big screen attempt at the predator beyond the first one. 

History is also filled with many losing as well because of tactics used. This woman is not a superior in tactics to a predator. Again a Green beret SF guy and his whole team went after the predator. You really think this looks better then the OG? Lmao 🤣

On 7/20/2022 at 6:24 PM, Mmanick said:

You really think this looks better then the OG? Lmao 🤣

You can't read :roflmao:

On 7/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, darkstar said:

this movie looks magnitudes better than any other big screen attempt at the predator beyond the first one

On 7/20/2022 at 5:24 PM, darkstar said:

You can't read :roflmao:

Your taste in movies sucks! B| the Robert Rodriguez film looks head and shoulders better then this, the last Shane black one is better then this even Danny Glover's predator is better then this. Your either a troll or clown to really think this movie looks like anything else besides trash.  

On 7/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, The Meta said:

"Even" Danny Glovers?

Predator 2 is the second best Predator film

I'd rate that one number 3 behind Robert Rodriguez's predator. The only thing I couldn't stand about  Rodriguez predator was the serial killer character. I'd have loved to see a second one of that.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:40 PM, Mmanick said:

I'd rate that one number 3 behind Robert Rodriguez's predator. The only thing I couldn't stand about  Rodriguez predator was the serial killer character. I'd have loved to see a second one of that.

Both were very different, but each was great. I figure the serial killer made sense, they recruited near psychopathic predators for challenge and sport. I do think he should have died much faster, and he was extremely annoying, though. He wouldn't last a second without the crew for sure.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 7/20/2022 at 8:46 PM, bronze_rules said:

Both were very different, but each was great. I figure the serial killer made sense, they recruited near psychopathic predators for challenge and sport. I do think he should have died much faster, and he was extremely annoying, though. He wouldn't last a second without the crew for sure.

The serial killer wasn't a challenge though for the predators and I would have liked for him to have been the first one taken out. his character was super annoying. A second one of that would have been good with so many cool things to add