• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's PREDATOR: PREY directed by Dan Trachtenberg (2022)
5 5

372 posts in this topic

I was going to ask whether the streaming versions has subtitles for the French speaking parts.  Everything they were actually saying was real and made sense, and the best part is that even though you didn't understand directly it was very easy to know what was going on.  Very well done!  

After the movie, went to see Mike and I told him

Spoiler

that they seemed to have done a REALLY good job of sewing his head back on and I was glad he was okay! ;)

On 8/5/2022 at 3:31 PM, davidpg said:

I was going to ask whether the streaming versions has subtitles for the French speaking parts.  Everything they were actually saying was real and made sense, and the best part is that even though you didn't understand directly it was very easy to know what was going on.  Very well done!  

After the movie, went to see Mike and I told him

Reveal hidden contents

that they seemed to have done a REALLY good job of sewing his head back on and I was glad he was okay! ;)

I messed around with the subtitles and unless I did something wrong, the English subtitles actually wrote his parts in French. Also, there was an option on Hulu to watch the movie in a Comanche dub. I tried that for a minute but their mouths just didn’t sync so I watched in English audio. 

On 8/5/2022 at 2:54 AM, Lpgk said:

Dare I say it, I like this better than Predator 1. Yes, it's that good.

So I've heard this several times now.  Before saying anything else I'd like to point out that I have not yet seen "Prey" and will do it this weekend when I visit my friend (I don't have Hulu).

BUTT...

...No, saying it is better than Predator 1 is not allowed.  It is OG.  It is what launched the franchise.

***Acceptable answer..."as good" or "second best"lol

:news: DO NOT read this until you see the movie. It contains spoilers. :news:

Prey's Major Connection to the Predator Franchise Explained

Spoiler

About midway through the events of Prey a new threat emerges. Not only is Amber Midthunder's Naru forced to fend off an alien trophy hunter from another planet, but a group of French fur trappers are also making their way across the land, and killing just as indiscriminately as the Predator. Eventually Naru is captured by the trappers who go on to use her as bait to lure the Predator in for the kill. Naturally that doesn't exactly work, but that scene also reveals on of the trappers has a bit of a change of heart and works to help Naru, especially after all his friends have been massacred. That trapper a man by the name of Raphael Adolini.

When you just read the name it might not mean much, but hardcore Predator fans should recognize it. Let's rewind to the conclusion of 1990's Predator 2. After killing the City Hunter in a battle aboard his ship, Danny Glover's Detective Harrigan is given a prize by one of the Elder Predators to celebrate his kill, a flintlock pistol with a brass plate that reads "Raphael Adolini 1715," the same pistol that Naru uses and takes with her in the events of Prey. In Predator 2 the pistol is meant to show the history of the Predators on Earth but its place in Prey seems to be setting the stage for another movie.

The use of the Raphael Adolini 1715 pistol in Prey not only firmly plants the movie as being in continuity with the original films but also sets up the potential for a Prey sequel. At the end of the film Naru still has the pistol in her possession, which naturally begs the question, how did the Predator tribe get it from her to later give to Danny Glover almost three hundred years later? Luckily Prey's animated end credits set up the next adventure, teasing the arrival of more Predator ships to Earth.

Adolini.PNG.9f5170984be12b843a4594021322b4b5.PNG

On 8/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

So I've heard this several times now.  Before saying anything else I'd like to point out that I have not yet seen "Prey" and will do it this weekend when I visit my friend (I don't have Hulu).

BUTT...

...No, saying it is better than Predator 1 is not allowed.  It is OG.  It is what launched the franchise.

Of course its not better, as I wrote before, it is using all the innovations created in 87. And it does so masterfully. But without Predator, there is no Prey.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:48 AM, Microchip said:

That was handled particularly well I thought, not the slightest hint of cheese about it. 

And a woman using her wits, and cunning in true Predator style, beating the brawn, skills, and tech of the alien.   

It was quite, dare I say it, flawless.  10/10.

Absolutely. I like the fact they took the Predator mythos and dropped in a completely different era and culture. I'd love to see them do that maybe in the future or an alien planet, but that might too ambitious. Maybe as an animated series?

On 8/5/2022 at 6:38 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

BUTT...

Sorry but this movie ranks among the elite that have outdone their predecessors:

Prey

Empire Strikes Back

Aliens

Terminator 2

Anchorman 2 (just kidding, wanted to see if anyone is reading this)

On 8/5/2022 at 10:37 PM, Lpgk said:

Sorry but this movie ranks among the elite that have outdone their predecessors:

Prey

Empire Strikes Back

Aliens

Terminator 2

Anchorman 2 (just kidding, wanted to see if anyone is reading this)

I agree with Empire, Aliens and T2. And Top Gun Maverick. And Prey is excellent. But its not a new or original concept. I remember sitting in the theater for Predator in the summer it was released in 87 and damn, nobody had ever seen anything like this. Is it dated today, sure a little. But everything that makes Prey awesome are the same reasons why Predator is a classic. The closed environment, the soundtrack, the slow reveal of the creature etc. These two now stand alone at the top of the Predator heap and now I’ll have to revisit Predator 2 after watching Prey due to the link.

Actually, I do want to go back and watch Predator 2, 3 and Predators. I actually liked Predators (the one with Adrien Brody) but don't remember a whole lot about it. Apparently

Spoiler

the flintlock in Prey

was referenced in A DECADE OF DARK HORSE 1,   so I'll have to track that down as well. Nice callbacks to previous references.

Edited by Lpgk

On 8/5/2022 at 11:07 PM, Lpgk said:

Actually, I do want to go back and watch Predator 2, 3 and Predators. I actually liked Predators (the one with Adrien Brody) but don't remember a whole lot about it. Apparently

Hide contents

the flintlock in Prey

was in the comic Predator:1718 so I'll have to track that down as well. Nice callbacks to previous movies. 

We never got a Predator 3, I think the franchise went on pause after 2. Then Predators. I never counted the Aliens V Predator stuff, just didn’t get into that crossover.

Well thought out, acting was pretty good. Definitely the third movie this franchise needed, but they really should have finished it properly 

Spoiler

The gun should have been taken away and a proper trophy given to Naru. I know the credits hinted towards it, but that was a BS cop out in an otherwise well told story

There really wasn't a hunt feeling like in the first two films. The Predator was basically just running around killing things. The bait and trap bits were poorly set up and rushed. But its minor gripes. 

Definitely one of the better movies I've watched this year

On 8/5/2022 at 2:58 PM, The Meta said:

Well thought out, acting was pretty good. Definitely the third movie this franchise needed, but they really should have finished it properly 

Hide contents

The gun should have been taken away and a proper trophy given to Naru. I know the credits hinted towards it, but that was a BS cop out in an otherwise well told story

There really wasn't a hunt feeling like in the first two films. The Predator was basically just running around killing things. The bait and trap bits were poorly set up and rushed. But its minor gripes. 

Definitely one of the better movies I've watched this year

agree with what has been said here.

Overall I enjoyed the film and give it a 7.0/10

Edited by Artboy99

On 8/6/2022 at 11:51 AM, darkstar said:

It's arguably better than the first movie. 

Seems the unanimous verdict.

I will watch with an open mind (thumbsu

On 8/5/2022 at 5:06 AM, FormerReader said:

This thread makes me happy. Now I’ll quietly hope Disney can put out a good Alien movie.

I wish they could do a part-reboot and do Prometheus 2. Alien Convenant wasn't a very good Aliens or Prometheus movie. I had such high hopes that Prometheus was going in a different direction but they just went back to rehashing Aliens. 

On 8/5/2022 at 3:51 PM, darkstar said:

It's arguably better than the first movie. 

To me, you have to take an objective look at the first film. I watched that as a teenager. I was easily impressed by many things. They did a lot of innovative techniques then, and the concept was brand new, I'll give it that. Don't get me a wrong it's a great movie, but really how do you out do it. 

But they had a difficult job here to bring a fresh perspective to a franchise that is like 40 years old and has not really done much since the first movie. I think they've done that, hitting it out of the park.