• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overs and Unders - Books you'd hold / buy, those you'd sell asap
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Assuming this is about the colllector/part time dealer holding/abandoning books with/without appreciation potential for the purpose is selling later or ASAP.

My thoughts are not profound and are probably held by many on the boards, with slight variations.

Generally Hold- just about every Horror/Sci-FI/cool SuperHero/GGA/Romance/War/Crime/appreciated artist GA book not printed (and survived) in abundance. 

Generally Abandon- anything expensive you can replace easily at same or lesser price in the future. Yeah, you can make the wrong call here, and sometimes big ticket books just keep getting bigger, but holding books that have been on a long sustained run and are already out of the range of many, I have to worry the bubble is close.

Some but not all of my specific preferences:

hold Baker Romance, Suzie, bronze HG Archie, all HG Planets, any cheap cool cover in any grade. 

abandon: most  anything selling for more than $20 printed after 1970 except select indies, Dave Stevens, Wrightson,  Wonder Woman.

Single books: hold CDNP 24, Teen-age Romances 9, Archie 50, 53, Science Comics 4, Crusader from Mars 1,2. All but Crusader are currently pricey but probably still have plenty of ceiling to reach.

Abandon: The Thing 16. lol

i agree with your premise that supply of books in 9.8 with ridiculous census numbers will one day greatly exceed demand, and drop precipitously. That said, you have to explain IH 181. NM 98 may prove to be similar.

I should practice what i preach. Lotta sellers’ remorse lately. Pain lessened slightly by overpaying for replacement books at CLink auction.
My 2c

HOLD

Court of Owls

Ever since The New 52 became obsolete, Snyder and Capullo's Court of Owls have really taken a dive. Now with new movie buzz and the realization that The Court of Owls is quite possibly the freshest villain concept in the Batman universe, they could be making a comeback.
These books, 1-6 are as low as they've ever gotten, and I suspect these are their bottom dollar prices.

GSX 1

The 1st appearances of Colossus, Nightcrawler, and most importantly Storm... Disney now has a strangle hold on the X-Men franchise. Much like what Beige mentioned above, The Phoenix Saga, Dark Phoenix Saga, and Days of Future Past storylines have been done to death. I suspect Marvel to pivot from the core 5 members to the new 5, with a very slow reintroduction of Wolverine, means the other 3 will have a chance to breathe and grow.

ABANDON SHIP

Spawn

Spawn is hot as Hades' balls right now as speculators are running with this one hard. Anything Todd McFarlane is skyrocketing, Spawn being no exception. Doubling down with the upcoming movie buzz and prices are going to continue to climb.
I still think there is money to be made here and the engine doesn't seem to be slowing down, but I have a hard time believing Gunslinger Spawn will sustain it's commanding price of $1,000 for a 9.8 blue label

Edited by D2

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Can you elaborate on this?

I saw in the thread on the book, that the interest in this book was generated by a youtube group?

I haven't seen it personally, so I guess ask the guy who posted that info @Ryan.

Is the info incorrect - I'll happily amend the post if so?

On 12/5/2020 at 3:22 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

What the heck is this about?

eBay Auction

image.thumb.png.619dd422e7f61486c900a5c02fd2a998.png

Is this the same book that blew up YouTube over the summer when it originally sold for $2000? If so, that buyer is looking awfully prescient. 

33 minutes ago, Beige said:

I saw in the thread on the book, that the interest in this book was generated by a youtube group?

I haven't seen it personally, so I guess ask the guy who posted that info @Ryan.

Is the info incorrect - I'll happily amend the post if so?

On 12/5/2020 at 3:22 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

What the heck is this about?

eBay Auction

image.thumb.png.619dd422e7f61486c900a5c02fd2a998.png

Is this the same book that blew up YouTube over the summer when it originally sold for $2000? If so, that buyer is looking awfully prescient. 

Comictom101 had the buyer who paid $2000 over the summer on his channel to verify the sale. At the time, that sale seemed cray. I don't know if that constitutes "social media pressure" but it was certainly the beginning of the rapid escalation of interest in this book. 

Incidentally I would sell that book and put the money into GA. But that's just me. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

We just report on the sales. The only reason we talk about a book is because someone bought it.

I have seen the same person winning MP95 auctions. Looks like someone is investing serious money on a low census book.

it’s hard to argue MP95 not being a significant Miles key when you see previews books for Spawn, TMNT, and Hellboy selling for even more that their first comic book appearances.

1 minute ago, Gem_Mint said:

I have seen the same person winning MP95 auctions. Looks like someone is investing serious money on a low census book.

hm Interesting. 

10 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Why not?

I started buying kirby thors abt 5 years ago.  I felt they were undervalued.  I paid around $5-$10 for them.  Many of the books popped like 165 which is now around $200 or first enchantress which I picked up for $20 now $100-$300.  Also 134 popped.  The rest of them have been steadily rising as I suspected.  And they will continue to do so.  I told several friends over the years buy thor 134 and the other 2 issues of the colonizer story.  No one lissened.
As far as why I just have a knack for seeing undervalued books-I bought several copies of FF Giant #6 because I felt first annihilus was important.  And some others which I do not want to mention as I am still collecting them.

19 minutes ago, kav said:

I started buying kirby thors abt 5 years ago.  I felt they were undervalued.  I paid around $5-$10 for them.  Many of the books popped like 165 which is now around $200 or first enchantress which I picked up for $20 now $100-$300.  Also 134 popped.  The rest of them have been steadily rising as I suspected.  And they will continue to do so.  I told several friends over the years buy thor 134 and the other 2 issues of the colonizer story.  No one lissened.
As far as why I just have a knack for seeing undervalued books-I bought several copies of FF Giant #6 because I felt first annihilus was important.  And some others which I do not want to mention as I am still collecting them.

i think you have become a comic guru (worship)

Guru

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i think you have become a comic guru (worship)

Guru

I've never speculated on books and bought multiple copies and been wrong.  I've been hugely right on several.  $$$.  And I dont do moderns.  SA only.