• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: AHSOKA TANO show (TBD)
3 3

390 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2023 at 9:57 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I'm curious where the Orange-Sabers come from. They square off with Ahsoka and Sabine, but it also looks like they took on some Imperial holdouts. They must be driven solely by the Force and either balancing it or tipping it in one favor. 

They also knew Anakin. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:36 PM, drotto said:

Anyone else getting the feeling that this show must be at least a modest hit or Lucasfilm is screwed? 

Not really. 

With that said, I do think they recognize the critical success of Andor and are going to try to incorporate a lot of storytelling elements from that show as much as they can. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:41 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Not really. 

With that said, I do think they recognize the critical success of Andor and are going to try to incorporate a lot of storytelling elements from that show as much as they can. 

Andor did not translate to viewership, and the Nielson Streaming numbers were weak. The quality of the show and critical response means nothing if it does not drive subs to D+.  Plus, the Acolyte is not looking like it is going to help.  Numbers are starting to surface for how the High Republic books have sold, and the numbers are not great. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:46 PM, drotto said:

Andor did not translate to viewership, and the Nielson Streaming numbers were weak. The quality of the show and critical response means nothing if it does not drive subs to D+.  Plus, the Acolyte is not looking like it is going to help.  Numbers are starting to surface for how the High Republic books have sold, and the numbers are not great. 

I'm sure they will want it to do well and would be pissed if it didn't because they've got shareholders to please, but I don't think they are going to run around freaking out like every internet commenter imagines/hopes these franchises do. They'll move on if they have to.

They aren't pumping out shows and movies like Marvel and DC for people to get fatigued by...yet. They started to, but pulled back. Also, each generation of SW fandom has their own favorite part to it - The OT fans, the prequel fans, the animation fans, the legends/EU fans. It's much larger that Marvel and DC and nobody really cares if the comics don't sell. If they are worried, well then, If it dies, it dies. There is a lot of good material to take in before it would get revived again. It survived the lull from the OT to the prequels. It'll be fine. 

I'll have to check out the High Republic numbers. I'm going through Phase 1 at the moment and think it's very strong. Phase 2 takes place over 100 years before Phase 1, so I wouldn't be surprise if some people are like WTF who are these people. Phase 3 is starting up this Fall, I think. I'll be interested to see what sales/reception is like when it's all wrapped up. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

They also knew Anakin. 

That's why I get the sense it has something to do with the balance of the force. I immediately went to the Clone Wars episodes about The Ones/Mortis. I don't think they are gods or anything but possibly acolytes or something. 

On 7/12/2023 at 7:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Easy pass.

Yeah, you're missing out.  Filoni's Rebels series was quite good.   He has basically suckered Disney into making a live action version of what would have been Season 5.   

On 7/12/2023 at 9:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Based on the trailer, I sincerely doubt it. (shrug)

Have you ever seen Rebels?

The first 2/3 of Season 1 is admittedly lackluster so Filoni could please the Disney overlords. 

Once, they leave him alone a bit he brings back Ahsoka from Clone Wars, sets up the introduction how the Rebel Alliance operates secretly consulted with Lucas as to how it all works, sets up Vader and the Emperor as real threats, brings Thrawn to the screen, kills off major characters while bringing back some of the best parts of Clone Wars and ends on a cliffhanger after Disney abruptly has him end the show, only to use this as a backdoor avenue to continue. 

It's actually quite good. 

This is basically season 5.  When asked about it, Filoni responded with, "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

On 7/12/2023 at 9:14 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Since Zeb was kicking around in Mando, I'm holding out hope that Kallus makes an appearance here. One of my favorite characters from Rebels.

I don't think they go through the trouble with CGC models and effects to bring Zeb to live without utilizing him so I am guessing that Kallus returns as well.  In the leaked and now "officially released" merchandising though, I have not seen anything of Zeb or Kallus. 

On 7/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, Buzzetta said:

I don't think they go through the trouble with CGC models and effects to bring Zeb to live without utilizing him so I am guessing that Kallus returns as well.  In the leaked and now "officially released" merchandising though, I have not seen anything of Zeb or Kallus. 

I hope you’re right. I’d be fine with just getting an image of those sideburns lol 

On 7/12/2023 at 9:18 AM, Buzzetta said:

This is basically season 5.  When asked about it, Filoni responded with, "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

Yeah, he doesn’t even try to dance around it anymore lol  

If Disney was to ever pull the plug on SW, it’s probably safe to say that he’d be the person most emotionally affected by such a move. With Pablo Hidalgo not far behind. 

On 7/12/2023 at 9:18 AM, Buzzetta said:

Have you ever seen Rebels?

The first 2/3 of Season 1 is admittedly lackluster so Filoni could please the Disney overlords. 

Once, they leave him alone a bit he brings back Ahsoka from Clone Wars, sets up the introduction how the Rebel Alliance operates secretly consulted with Lucas as to how it all works, sets up Vader and the Emperor as real threats, brings Thrawn to the screen, kills off major characters while bringing back some of the best parts of Clone Wars and ends on a cliffhanger after Disney abruptly has him end the show, only to use this as a backdoor avenue to continue. 

It's actually quite good. 

But, Filoni has struggled with live action.  I blame much of the cartoonish and often childish feeling of Mando season 3 on him. How he directs works well for animation, but he seems to have issues transitioning to live action and more adult content. 

On 7/12/2023 at 9:55 AM, drotto said:

But, Filoni has struggled with live action.  I blame much of the cartoonish and often childish feeling of Mando season 3 on him. How he directs works well for animation, but he seems to have issues transitioning to live action and more adult content. 

He didn’t direct any episodes in Season 3 of Mando - only wrote The Foundling and Spies. He directed S1 Es 1 & 5 and S2 E5, none of which I find cartoonish and childish. One could argue, his hands-off approach in Season 3, is why it suffered in the eyes of some.

Also, He directed the Mando episodes in BoBF, which I don’t think were childish. To each their own, though. 

I’ll be watching it regardless. Liking it is a different story, but with Filoni guiding this, I am optimistic. 

Edited by awakeintheashes
Can’t type on phone this morning.

On 7/12/2023 at 10:03 AM, awakeintheashes said:

He didn’t direct any episodes in Season 3 of Mando - only wrote The Foundling and Spies. He directed S1 Es 1 & 5 and S2 E5, none of which I find cartoonish and childish. One could argue, his hands-off approach in Season 3, is why it suffered in the eyes of some.

Also, He directed the Mando episodes in BoBF, which I don’t think were childish. To each their own, though. 

I’ll be watching it regardless. Liking it is a different story, but with Filoni guiding this, I am optimistic. 

I think it is clear there has been a drastic shift in tone and decrease in quality between Mando season 1 and 2 vs Book of Boba Fett and Mando season 3.  This is my oppinion only,  but I think this is a result of Favreau stepping back creatively and Filoni taking control of the streaming series.  To me there has been a marked decrease in quality as a result. That is what concerns me about Ashoka, which I was initially very excited about. 

The later seasons of the Clone Wars are the best Star Wars other than the OT. Rebels for me was very hit or miss, but the later stuff was far better. So I admit he has the ability, but for me his live action is far below his animated stuff.

On 7/11/2023 at 6:23 PM, Buzzetta said:

If Sabine Wren becomes a Jedi now they have another issue of explaining where she is or how she and especially Ahsoka die by the time of Episode outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed 

outsideafflilatelinksnotallowed?