• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

614 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 5:29 PM, OtherEric said:

And, in case anybody objects to the above two as off topic, a few definitely Whitman books.  Al Williamson was amazing:

Flash_Gordon_31.jpg

General Kala, Flash Gordon approaching
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching?
Open fire - all weapons
Despatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body

Gordon's alive!
live live  live

Great Stuff!!!  More than Hens tooth rare in high grade! I have them raw but mine are perhaps 8.5/9.0 at best

The film came out when I was a young child about a year later it was on HBO where the first month or so it seemingly aired 5x a day. I do recall in school for a short time around then a common catch phrase when asked your name was to respond "Flash Gordon Quarterback New York Jets". Nostalgia aside, nowadays the reason for me to watch the movie is Ornella Muti !

Too bad Gold Key/Whitman didn't also adapt Flesh Gordon :)

Question Folks, are there variants of 31/32/33 with UPC codes? Or were these were only issued via 3-Pack?

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, Brock said:

My guess (and this is pure speculation) is that it was printed as part of the larger run, but with the intention of capturing additional sales through discount stores. My OO copies were purchased c. 1980 at a Canadian discount retailer called "Bargain Harold's" (maybe somewhat akin to Five Below in the US today). As far as I know, only the Star Trek books were part of this - I've never seen such editions of the other Golden Press books.

Interestingly enough, Bargain Harold's also carried Modern Comics 2-packs, and discounted editions of Dynabrite comics.

As an aside, I recall $1.95 being the going price for new paperbacks at the time... Hardcover books were an astronomical $4.95. :preach:

I’m pretty sure the Star Trek books, at least, had multiple printings.  Even disregarding the black bar over the price, #3 comes both with and without “Enterprise Logs” on the cover.

On 9/19/2022 at 9:09 PM, OtherEric said:

I don't care how beat up it is, that US 179 is a major find!  And the Looney Tunes 34 is the last of the very rare LT issues I still need...

You wouldn’t happen to have an extra Sgt Rock 329 Whitman would you? ;) 

On 9/19/2022 at 11:09 PM, OtherEric said:

I don't care how beat up it is, that US 179 is a major find!  And the Looney Tunes 34 is the last of the very rare LT issues I still need...

Good info to know thanks EricOther ‼️👍