• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

615 posts in this topic

It's a small hobby, and I don't have an axe to grind with anyone. From my perspective, he's an enthusiast whose suppositions sometimes get ahead of his evidence.

There are some who feel he can be a little self-aggrandizing, claiming "discoveries" of things that he perhaps could be more properly said to have helped popularize (e.g., Marvel 35 cent variants).

He may or may not have helped contribute to some of the hype around certain kinds of variants (Canadian price variants, for example) where information about things like print runs and survival rates is presented as gospel with only hearsay to back it up.

Sometimes, all of this just muddies the waters for people interested in comics history. In the Whitman context, he has written (for example) that DC Whitman books are reprints.

On 12/20/2023 at 11:58 PM, OtherEric said:

This would be more impressive if @bellrules hadn't just gone "look what I found" three days ago. Very happy to have this one, it may not be the rarest Whitman but I'm pretty sure it's in the top 10.

Super Goof 61.jpg

Awesome find. Definitely one of the more desired books out there and one of the rarer ones. And your copy is higher grade than most I’ve seen

Edited by bellrules

On 1/2/2024 at 9:15 PM, CrocHntr said:

I finally found a Battle of the Planets 1 Whitman.  Been searching for a while.  Had to pay up for it, but happy to find a nice copy.

IMG_1046.thumb.jpeg.3d92aa46d983e3ae568575c4f3635b72.jpeg

Nice cache 👍‼️

@bellrules Do you just collect a ton of copies of the same rare Whitmans that you already have pristine bagged copies of? xD

On a side note, if you could offer me a good deal for both T&J #331 and #332 together, I am willing to take them. Can be low grade copies, since I need to save some money. Was scolded by my wife a short while ago about burning too much money on collecting T&J...

Or, if anyone else has those two particular issues available for sale, let me know!

On 1/7/2024 at 10:29 AM, Brock said:

Two tough ones, courtesy of a seller in San Diego, and one step closer to the full set - though it's a loooong journey. This also means I now have a CGC-graded undercopy of Flash 286, if anyone's searching...

Whitman2.jpeg

You got a great deal on that Supes! Congrats!

On 1/7/2024 at 12:54 PM, stormflora said:

@bellrules Do you just collect a ton of copies of the same rare Whitmans that you already have pristine bagged copies of? xD

On a side note, if you could offer me a good deal for both T&J #331 and #332 together, I am willing to take them. Can be low grade copies, since I need to save some money. Was scolded by my wife a short while ago about burning too much money on collecting T&J...

Or, if anyone else has those two particular issues available for sale, let me know!

I have a lower grade 331, but the 332 is fairly high grade. I would do 80.00 for the pair plus shipping. 

IMG_1037.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg

On 1/7/2024 at 3:43 PM, bellrules said:

I have a lower grade 331, but the 332 is fairly high grade. I would do 80.00 for the pair plus shipping. 

IMG_1037.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg

Any possible chance we could maybe do $80 with shipping included :)

On 1/7/2024 at 2:09 PM, stormflora said:

Any possible chance we could maybe do $80 with shipping included :)

I’m afraid not. We’re already dealing in CAD and I’m priced whatever is available at the moment right now. I don’t skimp out on shipping as I want to make sure the books get to you in the same condition I send them. If you want to wait, it’s ok. I’m in no rush to sell them.

Edited by bellrules

On 1/7/2024 at 4:50 PM, bellrules said:

I’m afraid not. We’re already dealing in CAD and I’m priced whatever is available at the moment right now. I don’t skimp out on shipping as I want to make sure the books get to you in the same condition I send them. If you want to wait, it’s ok. I’m in no rush to sell them.

Okay, you got me. I'll bite. Can you find out how much it'll cost to ship? I'll send you the funds tonight.