• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

615 posts in this topic

Update: I have won the Tom & Jerry auction which I had been mentioning about for the past little while. Final cost was $162.50 USD + $24.25 shipping for approx. 45 unowned issues and 35 duplicates I'll have to resell (based on my last count). Total per-issue cost of $2.33 USD each, or $4.15 for the ones I do not own. Not too shabby when it would cost me more time and money (from the darned shipping) to have to find and secure 45 different issues. I'll do a final check on the issue numbers again in a bit and update my WTB thread.

Edited by stormflora

I ran into Daffy Duck I think 102 or 110, the one with Porky in the vehicle

And I want to say Donald Duck walt disney 174, riding a stack of papers or something.

They were oddly placed at a store for $3.99 a piece but I took the time to look them up, and it is a slow peaceful day and since I didn't find anything else worth my time, lol I just left them there haha

But I did think of y'all and thought I'd chime in, that You Made Me Look!! :banana: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

And I want to say Donald Duck walt disney in th 144, riding a stack of papers or something.

They were oddly placed at a store for $3.99 a piece but I took the time to look them up, and it is a slow peaceful day and since I didn't find anything else worth my time, lol I just left them there haha

But I did think of y'all and thought I'd chime in, that You Made Me Look!! :banana: 

Those are not rare Whitman comics, so you didn't miss out on anything by not buying them :P

On 11/25/2023 at 2:08 PM, stormflora said:
On 11/25/2023 at 1:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

And I want to say Donald Duck walt disney in th 144, riding a stack of papers or something.

Those are not rare Whitman comics, so you didn't miss out on anything by not buying them :P

ya I agree lol I corrected the issue #'s Donald was #174, but same difference. I don't like trying to find issue #'s in store lol 

Talk about trying to look up a long time on your phone for some funny books doh!:roflmao: 

On 11/28/2023 at 7:04 PM, stormflora said:

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of rare Whitman issues for Marvel/DC? I have the list for the cartoon stuff.

1.thumb.jpg.34f51145799569dfaf3366597421030b.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.09d0dcbcf7da0af7559990f9460765d8.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.371623b3ce77545f8db24440800d2508.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.fba6f017d80d0b854d8e1491a03cd944.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.899cfe03f85683c54f2a01110cf6d834.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.8d52da9bdefa92ea5cf481497a8b0ac3.jpg

On 11/28/2023 at 8:11 PM, stormflora said:

Thanks for the Marvel side of things. Question is, are they any rarer than their non-Whitman variants?

jack-nicholson-nodding-498-x-278-gif-u3th22paozlyevrh.thumb.gif.164e77ce4b8be4d391daec94bd1df37c.gif

Not sure if I got it for a steal or not, but I needed a filler for a Tom & Jerry order at a Canadian comic store, and stumbled upon this rare Whitman that they had:

BATTLE OF THE PLANETS #08 VG (everythingcomics.ca)

After shipping and taxes is about $13.39 USD. Couldn't really find any available issues on eBay except for a really expensive one, at a slightly higher grade.

They also had Daisy and Donald #47, but it would have cost a higher price of $17.57 USD, which I chose not to go for.

Edited by stormflora

On 11/28/2023 at 3:16 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

jack-nicholson-nodding-498-x-278-gif-u3th22paozlyevrh.thumb.gif.164e77ce4b8be4d391daec94bd1df37c.gif

Side question, do you have a list of the DC Whitman variants as well?

I'm browsing through eBay, and the majority of these Marvel Whitman variants aren't worth much at all. A store I've bought from twice already has a ton of them for just a few bucks each. I guess the part of the article that came along with the checklist talking about how the value of Marvel Whitman variants remaining uncertain is quite true. It'll probably take decades before they ever appreciate in value.

Edited by stormflora

On 11/29/2023 at 2:59 PM, stormflora said:

Not sure if I got it for a steal or not, but I needed a filler for a Tom & Jerry order at a Canadian comic store, and stumbled upon this rare Whitman that they had:

BATTLE OF THE PLANETS #08 VG (everythingcomics.ca)

After shipping and taxes is about $13.39 USD. Couldn't really find any available issues on eBay except for a really expensive one, at a slightly higher grade.

They also had Daisy and Donald #47, but it would have cost a higher price of $17.57 USD, which I chose not to go for.

A few factors are driving up the price. Battle of the Planets #8 came packaged with Black Hole #4. Battle of the Planets is rumoured to being developped as a live action movie by the Russo Brothers. It's more super-hero than cartoon, and of course, it is a low print run book. Whitman variants of the first five issues are also tought to find in high grade, the Gold Key Versions, are plentiful. (as are issues 6 and 10 that were only published under the Whitman banner)

On 12/1/2023 at 11:32 AM, bellrules said:

A few factors are driving up the price. Battle of the Planets #8 came packaged with Black Hole #4. Battle of the Planets is rumoured to being developped as a live action movie by the Russo Brothers. It's more super-hero than cartoon, and of course, it is a low print run book. Whitman variants of the first five issues are also tought to find in high grade, the Gold Key Versions, are plentiful. (as are issues 6 and 10 that were only published under the Whitman banner)

Ah, so I scored a good one. Nice. Aren't the Whitman variants sort-of reprints of the Gold Key ones, though?

Is Battle of the Planets difficult to collect a run of?

On 12/1/2023 at 9:37 AM, stormflora said:

Ah, so I scored a good one. Nice. Aren't the Whitman variants sort-of reprints of the Gold Key ones, though?

Is Battle of the Planets difficult to collect a run of?

No reprints, just sold exclusively in bagged sets. Gold Key was their newsstand version. Western moved to exclusively distribute their books through bagged sets in April 1980, an ceased selling books on newsstands, which is why you can only find Whitman versions of issues 6-10. Issues 7, 8, 9 all have low distribution.

On 12/1/2023 at 11:48 AM, bellrules said:

No reprints, just sold exclusively in bagged sets. Gold Key was their newsstand version. Western moved to exclusively distribute their books through bagged sets in April 1980, an ceased selling books on newsstands, which is why you can only find Whitman versions of issues 6-10. Issues 7, 8, 9 all have low distribution.

Oh, I think I get what you mean now. So for BotP #1-5, although there are both GK and Whitman variants, the latter is harder to find? Shouldn't GK (newsstand) in high grade be harder to find, though?

On 12/1/2023 at 12:03 PM, bellrules said:

Depends on where you live I suppose. 

I guess it boils back to this whole rarity chart:

Newsstand-vs.-Direct-Sales-Percentages.j

Whitman variants in the 80's were direct to store in three-packs. So I guess it's kind of a competition between whether high grade GK or Whitman is more valuable.

But the GK imprint died at April '80 as you said, so it became rare for the low quantity published in general.

Thanks for the clarification :)

On 12/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, stormflora said:

I guess it boils back to this whole rarity chart:

Newsstand-vs.-Direct-Sales-Percentages.j

Whitman variants in the 80's were direct to store in three-packs. So I guess it's kind of a competition between whether high grade GK or Whitman is more valuable.

But the GK imprint died at April '80 as you said, so it became rare for the low quantity published in general.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Don't put too much stock in those charts. Western was a weird duck as they also sold newsstand books in sealed bagged sets but not the other way around. 

IMG_4576.jpeg

IMG_9039.jpeg

Edited by bellrules

On 12/1/2023 at 12:13 PM, bellrules said:

Don't put too much stock in those charts. Western was a weird duck as they also sold newsstand books in sealed bagged sets but not the other way around. 

IMG_4576.jpeg

IMG_9039.jpeg

Weird... Definitely confusing.

When you bought all of the three-packs sealed (from Facebook and otherwise), did they cost a fortune? I couldn't fathom them being cheap. But definitely cool to collect. I wonder if CGC could even slab them with their bags intact, or if that isn't part of their services.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:18 AM, stormflora said:

Weird... Definitely confusing.

When you bought all of the three-packs sealed (from Facebook and otherwise), did they cost a fortune? I couldn't fathom them being cheap. But definitely cool to collect. I wonder if CGC could even slab them with their bags intact, or if that isn't part of their services.

I've been buying them for years, many were at a good price, some not so much. CGC will not grade a book that they cannot leaf through. No one will.