• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whitman Thread
15 15

615 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2023 at 2:41 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

I also have #92.  Way back when these were on Heritage I purposely went after them due to the scarcity of the Comics themselves.

RoadRunner92.thumb.jpg.feecb3c966e2a41930b2faa6f2cee5a3.jpg

It's always nice to see people who are interested in collecting these cartoon comics rather than cliche superhero comics. I'm guessing those two costed you hundreds to thousands of dollars?

I've had a slight interested in collecting Road Runner, but I kind of put that intention aside as I did not want to overextend my budget and become impulsive xD

Edited by stormflora

On 12/1/2023 at 2:43 PM, stormflora said:

It's always nice to see people who are interested in collecting these cartoon comics rather than cliche superhero comics. I'm guessing those two costed you hundreds to thousands of dollars?

I've had a slight interested in collecting Road Runner, but I kind of put that intention aside as I did not want to overextend my budget and become impulsive xD

Thanks.

They ran approx $72 each.  In June 2005, I picked up a lot of 6 Road Runner Covers for $431 (including Buyer's Premium).  I still have 4 of the 6.  Traded 2, 12-14 years ago. 

These have low interest in the Original Comic Aart community.  I may very well be wrong, but 1970s and 1980s Looney Tune Character covers even today I feel would go for around $500 Maximum if at auction.

Edited by All-Star Squadman

On 12/1/2023 at 2:58 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

Thanks.

They ran approx $72 each.  In June 2005, I picked up a lot of 6 Road Runner Covers for $431 (including Buyer's Premium).  I still have 4 of the 6.  Traded 2, 12-14 years ago. 

These have low interest in the OA community. It's the type of item most collectors are satisfied if they have 1 as a type piece. I may very well be wrong, but the 1970s and 1980s Road-Runner covers even today I do feel would go for around 500 Maximum if at auction.

Yeah, kind of goes in line with how cartoon comics are already low priority to most collectors. Superhero comics will always be the most emphasized.

Still, it's nice to have a unique piece to frame and put on a wall.

On 12/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, stormflora said:

I think I paid under $20 for the 1st Road Runner comic.  We figured out recently that the Four Color issue actually came out before the Bugs Bunny's Vacation Funnies #8, but neither is terribly expensive.

FC_0918.thumb.jpg.820007a1211224917ee3d15878628f3c.jpg

On 12/5/2023 at 5:49 PM, OtherEric said:

Since I was grabbing some stuff from MCS anyway:

Bugs Bunny 222.jpg

Donald Duck 224.jpg

Pink Panther 75.jpg

Uncle Scrooge 180.jpg

Did you just grab whatever rare Whitmans they had in stock? What did the comics average out to, per issue?

I didn't really bother looking them up on MCS, only eBay. Wasn't a main priority to me for MCS.

On 12/5/2023 at 3:41 PM, stormflora said:

Did you just grab whatever rare Whitmans they had in stock? What did the comics average out to, per issue?

I didn't really bother looking them up on MCS, only eBay. Wasn't a main priority to me for MCS.

About $5 an issue.  I figured I should at least look, after having suggested it. 

I pretty much grabbed any late 1980 Whitmans they had cheap that I didn't have already.

On 12/11/2023 at 10:08 AM, Brock said:

So I'm working my way through some old Comic Reader magazine issues doing some research to see what news is coming out of Western/Gold Key/Whitman, and I cam across an interesting piece today. Basically, each issue of Comic Reader had a news roundup organized by publisher. The April 1980 issue (p. 6) has the following to say about Whitman:

Official word is that those titles missing from the past few Whitman schedules have been "delayed." These include all three science fiction books, and the other two King Features books as well as Western's own LITTLE LULU. It looks as if BEETLE BAILEY is probably cancelled, though the others may continue. Confusion still reigns concerning the distribution of the bagged comics printed in January through March, none of which seemed to have appeared anywhere. If each book is to get its own separate bag, this might be explained, since only WALT DISNEY's COMICS AND STORIES is a monthly, though UNCLE SCROOGE and DONALD DUCK each have had three issues printed so far. If anyone finds any, please tell us.

This gives us a confirmation that distribution was not happening in mid-1980, but that the books did exist and had been printed.

The issue then lists the Whitman books expected to be released that month, including titles Uncle Scrooge #178. That's the July 1980 issue, so we're just on the cusp of the scarce issue period. The writer suggests that "Confusion still reigns concerning the distribution of the bagged comics printed in January through March" which seems to indicate that some industry knowledge of what's going on is fairly widespread. Hopefully we can eventually find someone who happened to write it down...

A scan to go along with what @Brock mentioned:
image.png.39fae7c0450345e269c3cce8f192212c.png

From June 1980 Comic Reader a follow up:

image.png.6b2436725c9e1a2746c972dc80ae1bcb.png

In July 1980 Comic Reader, simply a list. Some (all?) of the books noted are now known to only have been in Pre-Pack's

image.png.b6cd904bc2e831b476e17ae09584636b.png

Aug 1980 same situation as July:

image.png

Edited by MAR1979