• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's THE LAST OF US starring Pedro Pascal (2023)
4 4

274 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2023 at 11:05 AM, Zonker said:

I've been picking at the show up until now, so let me take a turn at standing up for the last episode--

1- the Fireflies have had the better part of a year to theorize how to harvest a cure from Ellie, including what they learned* from Marlene about her origins.  And they are powering their hospital with a 20-year-old backup generator, so time is short.  They probably did some kind of quick test to confirm the theory they've been working on, and then went for it.  But at the same time, their rush-to-harvest does make Joel's choice easier for the viewer to justify.

2- didn't they actually drive from Salt Lake City to Wyoming before their stolen car gave out?  I think they said they only had a 5 hour walk ahead of them to Jackson.

* I wonder (since I know nothing about the games, this is pure speculation) whether the lie Ellie's mom told Marlene will factor into the ultimate resolution.  She told Marlene she cut the cord before being bitten (surely to convince Marlene not to put down baby Ellie), but we saw that was not the case.  hm

Point number 1 seems valid, I think it would have been great to hear their conclusion just for the sake of storytelling. I fully expected the finale to be like 1.5 hours, so a little more exposition would have been welcome in my book.

Point number 2, I thought the hospital they were at (in the finale) was in Colorado? I might be mistaken. TV shows are famous for making 3 hour trips look like 10 minutes (I'm looking at you '24'), but I'm not sure where they were starting at when they head back.

i just finished the show. wow.

when i started, i thought, 'do i really need yet another zombie show?'

but pedro pascal is so compelling, the writing is so strong, and the storylines are not predictable, with the exception of episode 7. i got more and more into it as it went along. very happy that someone made a show as good as this one. i look forward to another season.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:05 PM, Zonker said:

I wonder (since I know nothing about the games, this is pure speculation) whether the lie Ellie's mom told Marlene will factor into the ultimate resolution.  She told Marlene she cut the cord before being bitten (surely to convince Marlene not to put down baby Ellie), but we saw that was not the case.  hm

No. Unless they have other plans in the TV show, the origin and reason of immunity is never a factor, and is never discussed in the games.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:04 PM, alexgross.com said:

i just finished the show. wow.

when i started, i thought, 'do i really need yet another zombie show?'

but pedro pascal is so compelling, the writing is so strong, and the storylines are not predictable, with the exception of episode 7. i got more and more into it as it went along. very happy that someone made a show as good as this one. i look forward to another season.

My current favorite modern actor in Hollywood. Has that it factor.

I finally got around to finishing the last episodes and it was just plain terrible.  I know they were trying to make the ending extra emotional but it just all felt flat.  HBO+ is on the cancel block for the next half a year since there just never seems to be anything good on there.

Again, I like the show, but just can't seem to get into it like many here.  I still can't quite get past it being just another apocalypse show.  Well acted, decently written, but rhe everyone dies except for the main  characters formula (I am aware of game 2), just stops me from getting too invested. Personally, I have not formed a strong affinity for either of them, and want someone else to latch onto, and personally think Tess is/was my favorite character.

Also the setup for the final leaves me a little hollow.  If they needed to kill her, why go through all the drama of setting up an OR that is sterile.  If they can more or less get a hospital running, seems they would make at least some attempt to spare Ellie's life in the process. Also, they just did not sell the relationship between Joel and Ellie enough, for me, that he would essentially go on a murderous rampage killing at least 20 people, at the risk to all humanity. The made him exactly the monster, he spent the entire season trying not to be.  I know that is the point.  Granted the Fireflies were kinda evil also, but at least their motivations were better defined and understandable.

Will keep watching, but just not overly invested.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:30 PM, drotto said:

Again, I like the show, but just can't seem to get into it like many here.  I still can't quite get past it being just another apocalypse show.  Well acted, decently written, but rhe everyone dies except for the main  characters formula (I am aware of game 2), just stops me from getting too invested. Personally, I have not formed a strong affinity for either of them, and want someone else to latch onto, and personally think Tess is/was my favorite character.

Also the setup for the final leaves me a little hollow.  If they needed to kill her, why go through all the drama of setting up an OR that is sterile.  If they can more or less get a hospital running, seems they would make at least some attempt to spare Ellie's life in the process. Also, they just did not sell the relationship between Joel and Ellie enough, for me, that he would essentially go on a murderous rampage killing at least 20 people, at the risk to all humanity. The made him exactly the monster, he spent the entire season trying not to be.  I know that is the point.  Granted the Fireflies were kinda evil also, but at least their motivations were better defined and understandable.

On the contrary, they did a great job over the episodes of showing how the bond between the two progressed.  He clearly loved her as much as he did his biological child and wasn't going to let anything happen to her.  So, it made sense that he would take the drastic steps to save her, where he was unable to with his real daughter.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:30 PM, drotto said:

Unfortunately I had that spoiled for me a week ago. Man has it bummed me and taken all of my interests out for season 2.  Hopefully they'll make some major changes to that "story".

I stopped at Ep 5

It became another Walking Dead. Human v Human with the usual SW messages. Booooring.

What a waste.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:21 PM, 1Cool said:

I finally got around to finishing the last episodes and it was just plain terrible.  I know they were trying to make the ending extra emotional but it just all felt flat.  HBO+ is on the cancel block for the next half a year since there just never seems to be anything good on there.

Dude, u got to stay for Succession and Warrior. 

On 3/29/2023 at 3:22 PM, WolverineX said:

Dude, u got to stay for Succession and Warrior. 

I'll be back at the end of the year to catch up on all the new shows I missed.  I'm about to sign up for Apple+ in a bit to watch the new season of Ted Lasso and whatever else I missed from late last year.

On 3/29/2023 at 3:27 PM, 1Cool said:

I'll be back at the end of the year to catch up on all the new shows I missed.  I'm about to sign up for Apple+ in a bit to watch the new season of Ted Lasso and whatever else I missed from late last year.

Good deal.  watching Ted Lasso.  Eagerly awaiting it's best show.  Severence Season 2.  

Great news to hear.  My favorite current TV show. I have feared it might be like True Detective season 1. A great show but would go down in quality. Hope season 2 of The Last of Us can pull it off. Too me, a great show. I never got the zombie fatigue like others because I stopped watching Walking Dead at season 4.  I will look forward to season 2 of this.