• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's THE LAST OF US starring Pedro Pascal (2023)
4 4

274 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2023 at 11:46 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Absolutely this.

Back to the current episode - I thought Joel's semi-breakdown of being scared of failure, getting old, etc (not to mention finding out his brother really wasn't in trouble) - I think is really compelling and realistic. The idea of a 56 year old dude being able to kick azz non-stop for all those years before he started out on a cross-country trek with only himself to ensure her safety would be impossible without having some form of breakdown. He's an ordinary guy, and I think that's what I love about where his character is going (I am not familiar with any of this franchise). I just liked everything about the last episode - and that you could see the emotion on Joel's face about the whole thing piling on him. Good stuff. I'm glad I got onto this show when everyone was hyping it.

The last episode truly was great. And not a single zombie, still it was great. 

I'm still catching up and just saw Episode 5 last night.  Why was that bloater so big?

I looked up the actor and see that he's a 6' 6" bodybuilder--why did they need a dude that big in the suit?  Are we supposed to think that something about cordyceps sometimes causes humans to grow, or should we be assuming that it was coincidence that a rare and uncommonly-large human just happened to become a bloater?

It took me out of the show for a bit because all I could think was "welp, there's the boss for this level."  :yeehaw:

On 2/23/2023 at 11:08 AM, fantastic_four said:

Are we supposed to think that something about cordyceps sometimes causes humans to grow, or should we be assuming that it was coincidence that a rare and uncommonly-large human just happened to become a bloater?

Someone who has played the game can tell us for sure, but from what I've read, the in-game explanation is that when the fungus infects an unusally buff (or obese) human, that body mass provides a fuel source for hypergrowth of the fungus, leading to the bloater effect.  :sick:

On 2/24/2023 at 4:43 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Continue to be impressed. Like how Joel senses his own mortality.

With The Last of Us and The Mandalorian  I have to say  Pedro Pascal is now one of my favorite actors in Hollywood. 

I completely forgot that he was Oberyn Martell in Game of Thrones - so aside from Wonder Woman 84 (he was criminally misused), he's definitely a favorite of mine, and he's got a lot of good work under him.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:25 AM, Zonker said:

Someone who has played the game can tell us for sure, but from what I've read, the in-game explanation is that when the fungus infects an unusally buff (or obese) human, that body mass provides a fuel source for hypergrowth of the fungus, leading to the bloater effect.  :sick:

Bloaters weren't level bosses, per se, as the game isn't really set up that way.  They are just very hard to kill.  I think the explanation is that they are someone who has been infected since the very beginning (think 20 years on), so they've grown in size and strength.  

On 2/27/2023 at 8:29 AM, drotto said:

Can't really see them doing the change in narrative perspective that happens in the second game. 

Was referring to the GOT Oberyn v Mountain fight, and the whole series ending.

Edited by jcjames

On 2/27/2023 at 4:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

I love their homage to malls and  video arcades back in the day.  Mortal Kombat.

That carousel  scene was something.

That kiss we all know about. That kiss now. lol

Great show. I hope Marvel of Disney +  takes notes.  This is a memo to Marvel.

We care about these characters. Not a bore fest.

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

This past episode was ok but I feel like it would have been better to tell this story maybe in a second season after we care a bit more about Ellie (I know people who played the game are already more invested but I’ll guess the majority of viewers have not).  

On 2/28/2023 at 6:41 AM, bentbryan said:

This past episode was ok but I feel like it would have been better to tell this story maybe in a second season after we care a bit more about Ellie (I know people who played the game are already more invested but I’ll guess the majority of viewers have not).  

I think the purpose is to show this is the ONE person she had previously ever cared about, who died (she did not know her parents), and now Joel is on the brink of death, the only other person she has ever cared about, etc. And also how she got bit. The one thing i have not seen so much of is how she is so smart like her FEDRA boss says, I don't think she comes across as dumb, but why is she future leadership material and her friend, who figured out how to run the mall (but didn't clear out all the zombies...) was going to be put on poop squad? Anyway, she reminds me of my nephew (teenager wise cracks and rando statements, not physically, he is about 230 and can pick up a car) In a any event, my wife is sucked in. As a scientist/epidemiologist she likes the fungus angle. I'm sad Anna Torv didn't last long, fond of her from Fringe and Manhunter. Her fake American accent is very calming like Pascal's voice.

Edited by the blob

On 2/28/2023 at 4:57 PM, the blob said:

I think the purpose is to show this is the ONE person she had previously ever cared about, who died (she did not know her parents), and now Joel is on the brink of death, the only other person she has ever cared about, etc. And also how she got bit. The one thing i have not seen so much of is how she is so smart like her FEDRA boss says, I don't think she comes across as dumb, but why is she future leadership material and her friend, who figured out how to run the mall (but didn't clear out all the zombies...) was going to be put on poop squad? Anyway, she reminds me of my nephew (teenager wise cracks and rando statements, not physically, he is about 230 and can pick up a car) In a any event, my wife is sucked in. As a scientist/epidemiologist she likes the fungus angle. I'm sad Anna Torv didn't last long, fond of her from Fringe and Manhunter. Her fake American accent is very calming like Pascal's voice.

I get what you’re saying and at some point we do need more back story to flesh it out but I feel it was too early in the series in terms of pacing.  I was with a friend last night who played the games and I made the same comment.  Interestingly enough, that episode is from DLC content (I didn’t know that).  

Ugh - that episode might be my last.  I made it about half way through and fell asleep and I have really no interest to watch the rest.

Edited by 1Cool