• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's THE LAST OF US starring Pedro Pascal (2023)
4 4

274 posts in this topic

The last episode was very good, and was my least favorite episode overall at the same time.  Good to know the back story, and the show runners are consistent in how they tell their story.  Maybe it's nitpicking (and I'm the least nitpicky guy) though I've never seen people so noisy in a post-apoctalyptic world, ever.  Maybe is so long after they don't realize the danger, or the impetuousness of youth...it drives me a bit nuts though ;)

On 3/1/2023 at 7:02 AM, 1Cool said:

Ugh - that episode might be my last.  I made it about half way through and fell asleep and I have really no interest to watch the rest.

don't worry, the girls hanging out and kissing part is over, for now at least

On 3/1/2023 at 12:37 PM, the blob said:

don't worry, the girls hanging out and kissing part is over, for now at least

I fell asleep right before that part but they were gearing up for it (nervous energy was abound).  I've got no problem with girls kissing and it seemed like a plausible storyline but it was just sooo dull.  My wife dragged me to a Elle King concert monday night so I was a bit tired last night so that could have been part of it.  The worse part is I just don't want to see how it ended - plenty of other shows I need to see.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:45 PM, 1Cool said:

I fell asleep right before that part but they were gearing up for it (nervous energy was abound).  I've got no problem with girls kissing and it seemed like a plausible storyline but it was just sooo dull.  My wife dragged me to a Elle King concert monday night so I was a bit tired last night so that could have been part of it.  The worse part is I just don't want to see how it ended - plenty of other shows I need to see.

It was more a tale of loss than sex in a world full of loss.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:19 AM, davidpg said:

The last episode was very good, and was my least favorite episode overall at the same time.  Good to know the back story, and the show runners are consistent in how they tell their story.  Maybe it's nitpicking (and I'm the least nitpicky guy) though I've never seen people so noisy in a post-apoctalyptic world, ever.  Maybe is so long after they don't realize the danger, or the impetuousness of youth...it drives me a bit nuts though ;)

Yeah, in a world where monsters react to sound, they sure were noisy and oh so confident that there wasn't a single shroomhead anywhere in that huge area. Then again, kids are dumb.

Yes, at the risk of becoming this thread's nitpicker-in-chief, I wonder how the Fireflies thought it was a good idea to put their teenaged newbie recruit in charge of single-handedly guarding their bomb stash, without thoroughly sweeping the place of Infected and taking some measures to secure it against new arrivals?  They're not so short-staffed that they had a problem with planning to ship out Riley to the Atlanta QZ, right?

On 3/1/2023 at 2:24 PM, Zonker said:

Yes, at the risk of becoming this thread's nitpicker-in-chief, I wonder how the Fireflies thought it was a good idea to put their teenaged newbie recruit in charge of single-handedly guarding their bomb stash, without thoroughly sweeping the place of Infected and taking some measures to secure it against new arrivals?  They're not so short-staffed that they had a problem with planning to ship out Riley to the Atlanta QZ, right?

OK, the show isn't perfect except for Pascal's soothing voice...

I really like this series so far and I always enjoy nitpicking so I don’t take it as ‘bashing’ the show. It’s fun and adds to the discussion. 

Ellie shooting the gun while on the back of a horse that was loping is a good one lol   

Edited by bentbryan

I'm drawn to the acting, production, dialogue, all such high quality. 

But yet again, we're introduced to an interesting character, get to know the person, get to care about the character, then kill them off right quick. 

So I'm learning not to care about the characters in the show, because what's the point? And that's not a good attitude to have going into another episode. What's the point? 

Maybe there's a deeper philosophical allegory here, but I don't think so. It's based on a game where characters are propped up and killed off right and left. 

I dunno. I like the show and watch, but am tiring of being lead off a cliff, episode after episode, caring about a new character they create just to kill off. 

Edited by jcjames

On 3/3/2023 at 1:07 AM, jcjames said:

But yet again, we're introduced to an interesting character, get to know the person, get to care about the character, then kill them off right quick. 

So I'm learning not to care about the characters in the show, because what's the point? And that's not a good attitude to have going into another episode. What's the point? 

Maybe there's a deeper philosophical allegory here, but I don't think so. It's based on a game where characters are propped up and killed off right and left. 

I dunno. I like the show and watch, but am tiring of being lead off a cliff, episode after episode, caring about a new character they create just to kill off. 

I get what you are saying, but has this show bored you like countless Disney plus Marvel shows? I am just enjoying the ride. This is the best video game adaption ever.  Not perfect, but rather watch it than the latest Marvel stuff. 

On 3/3/2023 at 2:44 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I get what you are saying, but has this show bored you like countless Disney plus Marvel shows? I am just enjoying the ride. This is the best video game adaption ever.  Not perfect, but rather watch it than the latest Marvel stuff. 

My wife has generally high standards and she likes it and I don't think it is just because Pascal is appealing looking (although that helps, she has a type, that I used to sort of fit into 20 years ago...)

I have never played the video game so I know nothing about any of the characters. I watched the last episode, and I did enjoy it my only nitpick is due to how woke Hollywood is these days I knew very quickly in the episode that the girls would end up kissing. I do not have a problem with it, but I am at the point where I think it would have been refreshing if the girls were just friends who shared a day instead of having to add sexuality into the story.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:07 AM, jcjames said:

I agree.  I think people are going to grow tired of how episodic the show is in many respects.  The greatest example in TLOU is doing a good job building up characters only to kill them.  People watch shows long term when they connect with the characters, in fact when they connect with multiple characters.  This show only gives you two people that are "safe" and only two people that you can invest in long term, everything else is disposable.  That can work in a movie, or in a series that is one season and 10 episodes.  I question if people will stay interested if the cast of recurrent characters does not grow (If they are sticking with the games this goes multiple times higher). It also means you are playing very high stakes when you only have two characters for people to get invested in.  One bad plot for you mains, one change in characterization that does not go over well, and you risk alienating the audience and losing a viewer. With a larger cast, you have a buffer, because the viewer has other characters they are invested in, that can not happen with this show.  Almost all long running shows I can think of have a large cast of mains as well as recurrent characters, likely for this very reason.

Edited by drotto

On 3/3/2023 at 10:16 AM, Artboy99 said:

I have never played the video game so I know nothing about any of the characters. I watched the last episode, and I did enjoy it my only nitpick is due to how woke Hollywood is these days I knew very quickly in the episode that the girls would end up kissing. I do not have a problem with it, but I am at the point where I think it would have been refreshing if the girls were just friends who shared a day instead of having to add sexuality into the story.

That is part of the video game, so to that extent they are being faithful to the source materials

On 3/3/2023 at 10:55 AM, drotto said:

I agree.  I think people are going to grow tired of how episodic the show is in many respects.  The greatest example in TLOU is doing a good job building up characters only to kill them.  People watch shows long term when they connect with the characters, in fact when they connect with multiple characters.  This show only gives you two people that are "safe" and only two people that you can invest in long term, everything else is disposable.  That can work in a movie, or in a series that is one season and 10 episodes.  I question if people will stay interested if the cast of recurrent characters does not grow (If they are sticking with the games this goes multiple times higher). It also means you are playing very high stakes when you only have two characters for people to get invested in.  One bad plot for you mains, one change in characterization that does not go over well, and you risk alienating the audience and losing a viewer. With a larger cast, you have a buffer, because the viewer has other characters they are invested in, that can not happen with this show.  Almost all long running shows I can think of have a large cast of mains as well as recurrent characters, likely for this very reason.

I think they are only looking at 2 seasons anyway, right? Let's face it, it is a bit like Walking Dead except there the characters lasted a bit longer

On 3/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, the blob said:

I think they are only looking at 2 seasons anyway, right? Let's face it, it is a bit like Walking Dead except there the characters lasted a bit longer

I have no idea what they have planned, but it has all the hallmarks of a fast burn series.  Super popular first season, does well second season, then if they extend beyond viewership will fall of a cliff.  

Again, it does not mean it is not well done, well acted, well written, etc.  I think it is overall well done.  It is however based on limited source material, that already has divisive aspects, that exists in a somewhat saturated genre. 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:01 PM, drotto said:

I have no idea what they have planned, but it has all the hallmarks of a fast burn series.  Super popular first season, does well second season, then if they extend beyond viewership will fall of a cliff.  

Again, it does not mean it is not well done, well acted, well written, etc.  I think it is overall well done.  It is however based on limited source material, that already has divisive aspects, that exists in a somewhat saturated genre. 

I think they only have 2 seasons of video game to work with assuming each season is 1 game. I suppose they could could come up with more content or TLOU #3 might come out

On 3/3/2023 at 12:44 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Oh absolutely not! 

Still watching it - can't say that I made it even a couple episodes into most of the Marvel Disney+ trash by comparison. 

Just, getting a little wincey whenever a new character is introduced. 

On 3/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, jcjames said:

Oh absolutely not! 

Still watching it - can't say that I made it even a couple episodes into most of the Marvel Disney+ trash by comparison. 

Just, getting a little wincey whenever a new character is introduced. 

Hey they haven't killed of tommy or his wife...yet