• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Archie prices

576 posts in this topic

Comiclink results

Archie 1 CGC 3.0 with a detached cover $29K :o:o

Archie 50 CGC 8.0 $2500 :o

That must make you feel pretty good about your 3.0 with an "attached" cover.

The Overstreet guide is worthless on these.

GPA is even worthless if these sales don't get recorded.

I'd like an answer to that myself. I have an unrestored 3.0 (another case of the detached cover killing the grade). Personally I have always found Archie 2 to be a somewhat elusive book. When I saw the 8.0 go for 36 on HA, I was in shock. I have no intention of selling, but it would be nice to know what a lower grade copy would bring at auction.

I'd like an answer to that myself. I have an unrestored 3.0 (another case of the detached cover killing the grade). Personally I have always found Archie 2 to be a somewhat elusive book. When I saw the 8.0 go for 36 on HA, I was in shock. I have no intention of selling, but it would be nice to know what a lower grade copy would bring at auction.

Yeah, how do you figure out the value on these when they never come up for auction?

Yeah, how do you figure out the value on these when they never come up for auction?

I think the with these issues, there is no stable value estimate that you can really use. They tend to sell for whatever price they achieve based on the competition for a particular issue when it comes to market.

The best you can really do is use the last sales as a rough guide as to estimated value.

I agree. I tend to be behind the curve when predicting prices at auction for early Archies (that's what happens when you remember when Archie 1 was a $50 book lol )

I would say if you want to sell you should sell at auction rather than through a private sale. No way would I have asked $29 for my Archie 1 if I was selling before the Clink auction.

But, if you want a guesstimate, I'd say $1K per point on a low grade Archie 2.

I'd say $1K per point on a low grade Archie 2.

I am not looking to sell at this time, but it's nice to have a general idea of value.

I was thinking $2k on my Archie 2 2.0 too but then I looked at GPA and it seems like value might be even higher than that. A 3.0 sold for $4600 last year, wow!

I'm squarely in line with you on this one. We've already established in a past thread that the guide is useless these days, but even still I am not sure that the last auction price is any guarantee of future sales. All I can say for sure is that I'd hate to be the poor SOB that saw an early issue (you choose) go for 30k at auction and listed his copy of the same grade in the next auction only to see it sell for 10k.

That really hasn't happened, though. Which, of course doesn't mean it couldn't... I'd be most worried about that happening in the non keys such as the Archie 2 that went north of $30k.

All the Archie 1 auctions I've seen have been, at worst, equal to the previous sales data.

That really hasn't happened, though. Which, of course doesn't mean it couldn't... I'd be most worried about that happening in the non keys such as the Archie 2 that went north of $30k.

All the Archie 1 auctions I've seen have been, at worst, equal to the previous sales data.

The Archie 1 in clink's last auction used to be mine, sold through another clink auction a few years ago for, as I recall offhand, about 60-70% less.

And I recall a year or so before that I had offered the same 1, along with every other Archie comic, for ,much less than the 1 just sold for via clink. But at the time I got nothing but polite lowballers (and few very rude lowballers) operating on the principle that you buy 600 books for less than you know you can get for one of them.

I always thought the earliest Archies should be on a par with, at least the second tier comic heroes, and certainly more than the much lower tiers no longer in circulation or even remembered. And, despite all the increases, the prices still are pretty far short of that.

They should be in the same value range as 42, 47, 48 and 49. Comiclink has sold some of them and they sell on ebay occasionally, so there is some data to extrapolate from. Again, auctions are your friend if you're selling...

Archie 50 with the betty HEADLIGHTS ARE IN A LOT OF ISSUES. People that know me know me sold a pep 22 for $1100.00 30 years ago. it came in at cgc 4.5 easy 100k comic Yes archie 1 and so much more but overstreet always ignored archie comics and the kid who bought all my comics when he was a kid, Still has every comic and 171 copies from a complete archie series set.If you have heard about my archie cgc 7.5 shoestore giveaway cgc 7.5. The experts will tell you they never saw a copy.I never have seen the insides only cgc and the person who graded it which im positive was a family member who owned the shoe store as even today overstreet doesn't list it as rare or scarce. He found the cover put a picture in his new guide and still has the price that is not changed or dies he have the only copy exsisting in the world as rare or scarce. He has the price at $80.00 which I truned down $10,000 for it.He must be senile or doesn't listen to his advisors. I think its politics. I bet if I had full page ads in his price guide, This would not be this price or why does overstreet not use a price actually realized at auctions like baseball card guides do. My point. Archie 1 sold for $167,000 He still didn't put that in the top 100 golden age comics that would rank the comic 10 more rankings higher for the top 100 comics.I know a guide is a guide but when you have proof isn't that what you do? Put prices of comics that SELL or have sold for prices

Sometimes a copy cant work itself up. I found the first archie shoe store giveaway last year wolf whistle in an action. At this time no other copy exsists period. my copy was CGC 7.5 and I paid 40 times guide to get it knowing it was extremely rare. Ovestreet found my cover printed it this year and put the same price as always $80.00 in vfn. I turned down $10,000 and not even a new comment on how rare this is nothing. This is the first time ever you can see a picture of this giveaway on the guide. I do have it listed on ebay if you want to see it close and front and back cover.I think prices sometimes depend on how many rich kids(actors kids BILLIONAIRE KIDS IN AUCTIONS THAT TELL THERE PARENTS THEY WANT IT. I paid 3000% over guide and my bid was 7500% over guide is what would I would have paid for it.I I have not been collecting and selling for 45 years I wouldn't even think of selling but when you don't have much family that would appreciate some of my comics, I would rather have fans get the books I have or had.