• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Archie prices

576 posts in this topic

Yeah, I thought the choice of Monday morning was a bit odd as well...

I agree. Had it been a 6.5, but with better page quality, and a PM end time, it might have been double the final closing price.

Yeah, I thought the choice of Monday morning was a bit odd as well...

I agree. Had it been a 6.5, but with better page quality, and a PM end time, it might have been double the final closing price.

Yes I would have to say this could easily be a 10k+ book! Jackpot #4 is one of those books where it`s really hard to put a price on it due to the limited recorded sales.

November of 2009 a Jackpot #4 Cgc 9.2 Universal (highest graded copy) sold for $11,950. I can`t believe it went for so cheap even back in 2009. That was a great investment for whomever purchased it!

I see the Pep 22 has reappeared for Heritage's next auction... (shrug)

Can you provide a link to that auction, for some reason I am unable to locate it.

It was listed in the July Signature auction, but seems to have disappeared (shrug)

I see the Pep 22 has reappeared for Heritage's next auction... (shrug)

Can you provide a link to that auction, for some reason I am unable to locate it.

It was listed in the July Signature auction, but seems to have disappeared (shrug)

It looks like the seller changed his/her mind because it is listed again with the make an offer to owner option with the minimum offer starting at $46,605.

Yowza :o

You`re not kidding! I thought the same thing! This book is really jumping by leaps and bounds!

I believe there was a song called "Wishing and Hoping"!

Definitely not a done deal by a long shot.

At this point, I would much rather put my money into a Jackpot 4 which you can get at a much lower price point. This book has been pretty much running under the radar relative to the other two and is probably set for a relatively larger percentage jump in the not too distant future. hm

Yowza :o

You`re not kidding! I thought the same thing! This book is really jumping by leaps and bounds!

I believe there was a song called "Wishing and Hoping"!

Definitely not a done deal by a long shot.

At this point, I would much rather put my money into a Jackpot 4 which you can get at a much lower price point. This book has been pretty much running under the radar relative to the other two and is probably set for a relatively larger percentage jump in the not too distant future. hm

What you are saying is correct but considering that it brought $35,850 a few weeks ago in the Heritage Auction nothing seems to surprise me when it comes to a high asking price on this book!

Pep #22 is rarely offered to the public so when it is offered it brings record breaking prices!

When the cgc 5.0 sold in 2010 and brought $50k lots of people were amazed at that price, today that would be considered a steal!

I agree Jackpot #4 has a lot of room to grow especially considering what the Pep #22 just went for.

I understand Jackpot #4's appeal as the first ( and for many months only) appearance of Archie on a cover, as well as the first Mrs. Grundy. But given that it's pretty well established that it's at best the 3rd Archie appearance, and that the cover appearance is just an inset ( akin to the Batman cover "appearance" on Detective #32) does it have as much upside potential as some people seem to think?

I'm not an Archie collector, but I'd think the early Pep's and Archie's would still be more of a priority if I were. It seems Jackpot #4 might like the 1939 New York World's Fair comic, which while not a cheap book, never struck me as a must-have for Superman collectors, though in the era of slabbed comics, one can't underrate the appeal of "1st covers", even if just a cameo.

I do find it interesting that MLJ chose not to put him on the cover of #5, and that Archie doesn't even rate a mention on the cover of Pep until he starts to take them over with #36, which appears to have come out about the same time as Archie #1. Obviously giving him his own title indicates they had faith in the character, but I wonder how would MLJ have known the character's potential if he was previously relegated to a backup humor feature?

I understand Jackpot #4's appeal as the first ( and for many months only) appearance of Archie on a cover, as well as the first Mrs. Grundy. But given that it's pretty well established that it's at best the 3rd Archie appearance, and that the cover appearance is just an inset ( akin to the Batman cover "appearance" on Detective #32) does it have as much upside potential as some people seem to think?

I'm not an Archie collector, but I'd think the early Pep's and Archie's would still be more of a priority if I were. It seems Jackpot #4 might like the 1939 New York World's Fair comic, which while not a cheap book, never struck me as a must-have for Superman collectors, though in the era of slabbed comics, one can't underrate the appeal of "1st covers", even if just a cameo.

I do find it interesting that MLJ chose not to put him on the cover of #5, and that Archie doesn't even rate a mention on the cover of Pep until he starts to take them over with #36, which appears to have come out about the same time as Archie #1. Obviously giving him his own title indicates they had faith in the character, but I wonder how would MLJ have known the character's potential if he was previously relegated to a backup humor feature?

Jackpot #4 may have even more upside potential than most people think because of Archie`s face being on the cover. In this case it is very important because the 1st appearance of Archie (Pep #22) does not have a picture of Archie`s face on the cover. I think this plays a big role in the significance of Jackpot #4! If Pep #22 contained Archie`s 1st cover as well as his 1st appearance then it may be possible that Jackpot #4 would not be as significant as it is today, however I do think if that were to be the case Jackpot #4 would still be a highly sought after book.

Although it is just a small picture of his face it is Archie`s 1st cover! I think Pep #22 and Archie #1 will always be valued more and have stronger demand than Jackpot #4 but as the prices of Pep #22 and Archie #1 continue to rise the next best thing is going to be Jackpot #4 which offers something that neither Pep #22 or Archie #1 offers, and that is Archie`s first cover. My thoughts are there is too big of a price gap between Pep #22, Archie #1 and Jackpot #4. Jackpot #4 in my opinion is a very important book to say the least and I think within time that price gap will begin to narrow.

Jackpot #4 is also a tough book to acquire adding to it`s desirability, not to mention that it still can be purchased for a bargain if you can locate one.

As far as why Archie was not on the cover of Jackpot #5 or the early Pep`s (#22-#35) is a good question. I would have assumed since he was on the cover of Jackpot #4 he would have been on some of the earlier covers of Pep comics before Pep #36.

There is a funny thing about scarcity. To a point, scarcity drives up value. However, it seems that if something is too scarce, then there aren't enough sales to establish a market. I think that is part of the problem with Jackpot #4. With only a few sales every decade, it's very hard to figure out a fair price for the book. It's very hard to justify spending five figures on a book when the value hasn't been established by a previous sale or two. I think that it will get there, but it has to work it's way up.

If i remember correctly theres a mention about pep 22 and jackpot 4 being the first apperance of archie. This was from an 90's archie digest. Archie always had cool stuff about collecting : coins, records, cards and comics. So since then i always wanted a pep 22 and jackpot 4. Archie 1 came later in my wants.

I know some people think its the 3rd or fourth. But how can cgc, overstreet and a mention in archie pages itself consider it as a first apperance. If so it still has archie on the cover over a year before archie 1 and pep 36. Pep 22 = strange tales 110 cover.

I own a copy of jackpot 4 and archie 1. I think personally that i will not chase a pep 22 anymore since 30k for a 2.0 and rising is a bit out there. I think archie 1 with still has room to grow. Scarce and the first archie. What a great cover to boot! Jackpot 4 is really gonna rise tye 6.5 could have gotten alot more than 6.5 it finished at 10am. If it were clink, sparkle city or ha.com. Could have fetched 10k even with light tan pages. Only 11 unrestired copies to go around.

Archie's second appearance is Pep 23. Jackpot 4 and Pep 24 came out right around the same time, so third appearance is up for grabs. Shield did an arrival date survey on this subject and I think this is pretty solid data.

Here's a LINK to that thread

Earlier in this very thread!

There is a funny thing about scarcity. To a point, scarcity drives up value. However, it seems that if something is too scarce, then there aren't enough sales to establish a market. I think that is part of the problem with Jackpot #4. With only a few sales every decade, it's very hard to figure out a fair price for the book. It's very hard to justify spending five figures on a book when the value hasn't been established by a previous sale or two. I think that it will get there, but it has to work it's way up.

Jackpot is also a very short run title as opposed to Archie and Pep, which I think reduces demand as well.

I agree! I have mentioned this earlier, I do think if this specific Jackpot #4 cgc 6.5 auction would have ended in the evening verses the morning the auction would have ended much higher. For some ebay members such as myself the auction ended at 7:47am. Too early!

I agree! I have mentioned this earlier, I do think if this specific Jackpot #4 cgc 6.5 auction would have ended in the evening verses the morning the auction would have ended much higher. For some ebay members such as myself the auction ended at 7:47am. Too early!

That is a bad time to end an auction.