• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Archie prices

576 posts in this topic

If i remember correctly theres a mention about pep 22 and jackpot 4 being the first apperance of archie. This was from an 90's archie digest. Archie always had cool stuff about collecting : coins, records, cards and comics. So since then i always wanted a pep 22 and jackpot 4. Archie 1 came later in my wants.

I know some people think its the 3rd or fourth. But how can cgc, overstreet and a mention in archie pages itself consider it as a first apperance. If so it still has archie on the cover over a year before archie 1 and pep 36. Pep 22 = strange tales 110 cover.

At this point in the game, I don't really think it matters anymore which book had the first appearance of Archie in it. The prices have already been set by Overstreet through the years and there is really nothing that will change the price spread at this point in time, even if it is somehow determined that Jackpot #4 was the first appearance of Archie after all.

To make my point, all we need do is to look back at the Sandman example with Adventure #40 and the 1939 NY World's Fair book. Even though it was eventually discovered beyond a doubt that the NY World's Fair book featured the first appearance of Sandman, Adventure #40 suddenly became the first conceived and first drawn Sandman story and prices kept trending as they had always been.

If i remember correctly theres a mention about pep 22 and jackpot 4 being the first apperance of archie. This was from an 90's archie digest. Archie always had cool stuff about collecting : coins, records, cards and comics. So since then i always wanted a pep 22 and jackpot 4. Archie 1 came later in my wants.

I know some people think its the 3rd or fourth. But how can cgc, overstreet and a mention in archie pages itself consider it as a first apperance. If so it still has archie on the cover over a year before archie 1 and pep 36. Pep 22 = strange tales 110 cover.

At this point in the game, I don't really think it matters anymore which book had the first appearance of Archie in it. The prices have already been set by Overstreet through the years and there is really nothing that will change the price spread at this point in time, even if it is somehow determined that Jackpot #4 was the first appearance of Archie after all.

To make my point, all we need do is to look back at the Sandman example with Adventure #40 and the 1939 NY World's Fair book. Even though it was eventually discovered beyond a doubt that the NY World's Fair book featured the first appearance of Sandman, Adventure #40 suddenly became the first conceived and first drawn Sandman story and prices kept trending as they had always been.

The publishing dates make clear that pep 22 and 23 came first. Also, Archie and gang are teens, except for one story in which they are pre-teens, and that was Pep 22. it is clear that the pep 22 story was the first newsstand app as well as the first created.

The publishing dates make clear that pep 22 and 23 came first. Also, Archie and gang are teens, except for one story in which they are pre-teens, and that was Pep 22. it is clear that the pep 22 story was the first newsstand app as well as the first created.

BC;

I am well aware of the publishing timelines for these particular books.

The only point I was trying to make was that even if in the totally imaginery scenario whereby Jackpot 4 was found to be the first published appearance, it still would have no significant impact on its price relative to Pep 22 and Archie #1 at this stage of the game.

BC;

I am well aware of the publishing timelines for these particular books.

The only point I was trying to make was that even if in the totally imaginery scenario whereby Jackpot 4 was found to be the first published appearance, it still would have no significant impact on its price relative to Pep 22 and Archie #1 at this stage of the game.

I understand but I should have emphasized it more that Pep 22 is also quite clearly the first conceived story, which makes it a different situation than the sandman issues. The sandman scenario underscores a flaw in the hobby regarding the outsized influence of some collectors; the hype for the "first drawn" story may have more to do with the fact that some influential people had gotten used to their copies of that issue being keys and didn't like the new information about it being the second appearance. If Sandman were a household name, the values of his books would be governed a bit more by the natural inclinations of regular people, and the first published appearance would be considered more key.

I just learned through board member Shield, that the same Pep 22 that sold on HA for 35k in early May is back on the HA site with a current bid of $10k.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7063&lotNo=93476

hm

I can see another big loss coming up!

With the way so many of these so-called Heritage record sales are popping right back up in their next auctions, it certainly reduces the integrity of these price points. Almost to the point that some of these prices should probably be ignored for trending purposes. hm

I just learned through board member Shield, that the same Pep 22 that sold on HA for 35k in early May is back on the HA site with a current bid of $10k.

hm

With the way so many of these so-called Heritage record sales are popping right back up in their next auctions, it certainly reduces the integrity of these price points. Almost to the point that some of these prices should probably be ignored for trending purposes. hm

Agreed - what makes these HA sales even worse is they're reported to GPA, and I don't think GPA distinguishes when there is a non-payment on a book and it goes back up on the next auction. I'm not saying that's what happened with this Pep22 but HA is known for these types of scenarios which can really skew market numbers if you're a follower of GPA. 2c

hm

Agreed - what makes these HA sales even worse is they're reported to GPA, and I don't think GPA distinguishes when there is a non-payment on a book and it goes back up on the next auction. I'm not saying that's what happened with this Pep22 but HA is known for these types of scenarios which can really skew market numbers if you're a follower of GPA. 2c

GPA isn`t showing the Pep 22 May 2012 sale any longer.

:bump:

Opportune time to bump this thread now that the new OS guide is out!

All I can say is that it is certainly about time that OS finally separated the once inseparable pair of Pep 22 and Archie 1. It also looks like a pretty clear separation with Pep 22 now worth a whopping $20K more than Archie 1 in top of guide. In fact, Pep 22 was the largest percentage gainer out of all of the books on Overstreet's Top 100 listing, even beating out Action 13 which had a percentage gain of 50% for the year. (thumbs u

Can't say much about his pricing rationale for Jackpot #4 though, as he increased it by a big fat ZERO. :screwy:

:bump:

Opportune time to bump this thread now that the new OS guide is out!

All I can say is that it is certainly about time that OS finally separated the once inseparable pair of Pep 22 and Archie 1. It also looks like a pretty clear separation with Pep 22 now worth a whopping $20K more than Archie 1 in top of guide. In fact, Pep 22 was the largest percentage gainer out of all of the books on Overstreet's Top 100 listing, even beating out Action 13 which had a percentage gain of 50% for the year. (thumbs u

Can't say much about his pricing rationale for Jackpot #4 though, as he increased it by a big fat ZERO. :screwy:

Probably the person responsible for the jackpot pricing in overstreet is still looking for a copy....

Well, Overstreet still has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to the early Archies.

Still no breakout on Archie #50 with the classic headlights cover amongst many others which are particularly high on the want lists of most Archie collectors. :takeit:

A bidding war on such an awesome book seems a given. But since a 5.0 (I don't recall the PQ) went for 50K two years ago, 125K seems like a big jump. Then again there was the huge jump for the Archie 1 (the 7.0 went for 39K and then the 8.5 went for 167K two and a half years later). An 8.5 grade might justify a larger jump than a 6.5 but Pep 22 is a ridiculously rare mega key so who knows what the final hammer price would be.

Another line of reasoning is that Pep 22 seems to be worth about 45% more than Archie 1 (just a simplistic view based on the 5.0 Pep 22 sale and a 5.0 Archie 1 sale occurring within a few months of each other in 2010. This would imply an 8.5 Pep 22 would be worth 45% more than the 8.5 Archie #1 or about 245K. So what would that make a 6.5 worth? I know it doesn't work this way, but 125K seems reasonable based on this overly linear analysis.

I do wonder just how many collectors/investors/speculators are out there that pay six figures for a book. I am not one of them.

Don't forget that a 2.0 sold for 28.6K in July, which would translate to the 5.0 being worth more than 50K today - if we were to extrapolate numbers. Either way, I'm out of the running for it lol

Exactly thats why i estimated 125k. The 50k sale was comparable to the 7.0 archie sale at 39k. First public sale in awhile thus people hesitant to bid up. I regret not manning up on that 5.0 i was i till 45k. Sometimes you gotta pay a more to get quality books. Plus you will be rewarded in time and save buy paying more. Easy to say and hard to do. Even i am victim of this.

Hmmm pep 22 5.0 50k

So yeah 6.5 definite 100k book i would guesstimate 125k+

Kudos to Adam for a great book that he owns! If ever sells its gonna be a bidding war!!!

Pretty amazing prices at the Clink auction for early Peps and Jackpots. Pep 30 in 6.0 and 34 in 2.5 both over $3K.

The restored CGC 4.0 (MP) Jackpot 4 is currently at $6100 with a couple of hours to go. And, like clockwork, I just got an offer through Heritage for my Jackpot 4 Blue 5.5...$5500 doh!lol

Pretty amazing prices at the Clink auction for early Peps and Jackpots. Pep 30 in 6.0 and 34 in 2.5 both over $3K.

The restored CGC 4.0 (MP) Jackpot 4 is currently at $6100 with a couple of hours to go. And, like clockwork, I just got an offer through Heritage for my Jackpot 4 Blue 5.5...$5500 doh!lol

Makes me wish I had bought every copy that surfaced over the past decade, not that there were many. I'm glad that I at least have Pep 22 and Jackpot 4 in bound volumes. I don't stand a chance at the prices the books are going for nowadays.